Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Map Design That Showcase The Cool Movements

Lanster

So I was playing with my friend on a map when we started to wall run and shoot at the same time, to get that Matrix feeling of being total badass. Then it hit me. Why haven't we been doing this more often?

The problem is most maps are great for other shooters, tight corridors with lots of cover or big expansive area. But for this game, there need to be more player-to-map interaction. As in, more areas where we would WANT to wall run, do backflips, and generally more ninja-like stunts.

As of now, the wall runs are all quite gimmicky, as in sometimes we are required to do them to proceed further into the map. But at no time are we given the opportunity to use them freely in combat or traversing a map, due to the amount of obstacles, un-runnable walls, big chasms, etc.

What I'm proposing is simple. For existing maps that are expansive, can we get alternative ones where there are less obstacles, less rock walls (which you can't wall run on), less chasms, basically near bare-bone-like maps where players can do more wall run and backflip while fighting mobs?

To my knowledge, not a lot of third person shooters allow the freedom of movement like this game, and wall running is just a really unique part to this game, let alone a free to play. Let us enjoy this aspect more!

I agree completely with this statement, things like running along walls to get up to a roof of some sort would be awesome. I would add that it sounds kind of like you haven't explored much with this yet though, it's not as bad as you make it sound. There are many parts in this game where map travel is made easier by non obvious wall-running spots. You should experiment, there are actually very few walls that you can't run against, I can only think of one that I encountered, in fact. And I wall run anywhere I can.

At the end of most Corpus levels, there is a huge down-hill slope of ice that you have to run down to get to the extraction point. If you run and slide, you can literally slide down the entire hill, a really long slide. Would be pretty interesting to have more areas like this where you can shoot at enemies while you slide down a shaft, or a sloped building. Same goes for zipline, its pretty hard to shoot while ziplining because most of the ziplines are too short. You should get bonus experience for killing enemies while sliding, ziplining, or wall-running. Also should get bonus experience for getting sneak kills. Maybe even a really big bonus if you can complete an entire mission without getting an alert.

At the end of most Corpus levels, there is a huge down-hill slope of ice that you have to run down to get to the extraction point. If you run and slide, you can literally slide down the entire hill, a really long slide. Would be pretty interesting to have more areas like this where you can shoot at enemies while you slide down a shaft, or a sloped building. Same goes for zipline, its pretty hard to shoot while ziplining because most of the ziplines are too short. You should get bonus experience for killing enemies while sliding, ziplining, or wall-running. Also should get bonus experience for getting sneak kills. Maybe even a really big bonus if you can complete an entire mission without getting an alert.

That sounds awesome.

Yes, please.

This game's greatest strengths are the fact that you can move so freely, so quickly, and it feels like shooters from the past.

Not tied down to stupid 'cover' systems and where you mix it up in the middle of the mobs either with gunplay or melee.

I'd like to see levels where you can wall run more oft, or leap off from one thing to another. The curves in some of the architecture just sort of kill wall running.

Also:

I love the jump kick to knee-slide. .n.

Alot of good stuff in here.

I've posted it elsewhere but i'll add that I also think that you should get a dodge chance while sliding/dodging/rolling/wall running. Nothing crazy, but something to give it a viable use in combat other than it looks cool. Although I totally agree it is reason enough, but it would give a better incentive to master it if it has some in game effect.

I think the problem with wall runs/slides etc is the enemies are still perfectly capable of shooting you while you're doing it, and its harder to return fire while doing so. If enemies were coded to be less accurate when firing on players performing acrobatics (rolls especially), players would be given a much larger incentive to use them as a means of staying alive.

I agree that there should be more incentives to running around doing crazy space ninja stuff. To whit:

-Wall running and flipping around should make it harder for enemies to hit you.

-Flipping off a wall to a flying melee attack should do more dmg (guaranteed crit?). It should also have a separate attack animation (like slide melee does) because that is just frikkin sweet. Provide incentives that make it more efficient to do this than just run up and whack the guys with your sword.

-Ditto for doing melee attacks while running along a wall.

-You should be able to chain wall runs/jumps together. If this is already possible, make it easier to do because I've been trying and it just ain't workin'.

-Make a separate polarity just for mobility-type mods (stamina and run speed), and slap it onto every single warframe in addition to what they've already got. Again, provide incentives for the stuff that allows for more crazy space ninja tricks.

-More mobility-type mods that boost niche skills like jumping, wall running, and sliding.

-Weapon mods that boost dmg when doing the above. Has the same mobility-type polarity. Every weapon has one of these slots. These mods should be more powerful and efficient than their vanilla counterparts since they're much more situational.

The traversal options in Warframe definitely offer some unique design opportunities, as well as challenges. I might not be the best at pulling off the most insane stunts, but I try :) Nothing is quite as fun as dashing up walls above enemy heads like a real ninja :)

You can chain the wall runs together, I've done it and have gotten some really fun rush routes (Boo rushing) from it. Such as you know that one corpus room where you have a two story room, go up and elevator fight your way through to take a second elevator? Can skip it with wall running combos.

That "Slide to the end room" with the elevator? can actually get on top of the landing pad via the two pillars behind the elevator, chaining off wall runs (And I did it in a RHINO) 

but yes, more opportunities, give us damage reduction/dodge chances while doing ninja-y things.