Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Return Of Raid Missions

WubbaDubDub

"Tenno, you are here to distract the enemy while one of our operatives raids the ship for supplies"

Raid missions could be another type of Stealth mission. Perhaps single / 2 player only. There could be an end mission reward based on something like a "stealth rating" (number of stealth kills, alarms set off, etc). Similar to Rescue.

These missions should have special locker rooms, or a secret research room or something to that degree, which contains a reward.

There might be a timer that "unlocks" the next room that you need to get to (every 5 min or something). Similar to Survival - because really this is what is happening during survival missions.

- OR -

You will need to recover Data Units, or hack consoles, or Capture/Interrogate targets which will tell you where the next Reward Room is.

"Get there quickly but quietly Tenno"

Edit : The idea of Survival-Raid

This is an ambitious idea, and I know that there are flaws and issues that need to be addressed. Ideas and constructive feedback are encouraged! I will try to keep this succinct to prevent TL;DR

4 Tenno 

1-Stealth [team A]

3-"Aggro" [team B]. 

[A] Needs to complete objectives (as above) to reach the Loot room. If spotted the objective either fails or must be completed within say, 30 seconds or so. If failed [A] must move on or wait for the next objective.

Must make a helluva lot of racket in order to keep the spawns away from [A]. To help achieve this, it would be nice if weapons and Warframe abilities had varying degrees of noise. We have Silent weapons (Despair, Dread), make Loud weapons (Ogris, Penta), and varying degrees in-between. 

Silent - sorta silent - default - sorta loud - Loud

Unanswered Questions

What prevents everyone rushing or stealthing the objectives? Is it even a problem? (I think so)

What about Solo play? Is it simply stealth-raid, without the element of survival?

What other problems are there?

Edited by WubbaDubDub

This game needs more stealth missions. I don't feel very ninja-like charging in guns blazing all of the time except on rescue missions. And this idea is just what this game needs. 

I feel the only reason we don't have many Stealth-Oriented Missions is because the current game design does not support it enough to make it a viable gametype. The enemy AI won't allow for much stealth, the maps aren't optimized for anything other than running and gunning, and the biggest problem is the player mentality itself: Why stealth around an enemy when I can just kill the enemy?

We'll need to fix all these things before we get into Stealth-dedicated missions.

Like Snake said, the game isn't very stealthy currently, so any attempts at stealth missions (aside from perma-invis) tend to fall flat. The game needs something akin to "Stealth 2.0" before we start actually seeing stealth missions.

When that's out of the way, though, I'd definitely like to see OP's ideas implemented. That sounds like it would be fun.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I am currently working on the proposal for the "Simultaneous Raid-Survival" thing.

I'm all for bringing back Raid Missions as long as it isn't just "get in, grab that, get out" over and over like it was before. Your idea seems to be heading in the right direction, so I'm interested to see where you take it.

My thought is that the mission would behave much like a survival - stay in and keep raiding for as long as you can/want!

I feel the only reason we don't have many Stealth-Oriented Missions is because the current game design does not support it enough to make it a viable gametype. The enemy AI won't allow for much stealth, the maps aren't optimized for anything other than running and gunning, and the biggest problem is the player mentality itself: Why stealth around an enemy when I can just kill the enemy?

We'll need to fix all these things before we get into Stealth-dedicated missions.

I totally agree. Here are a couple threads with ideas that I think would help a lot to improve stealth gameplay:

1) This thread contains very interesting and fun-sounding AI ideas

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/126768-on-the-topic-of-enemy-artifical-intelligence-updated-12202013/?p=1508856

2) This thread address the issue above "Why go around instead of just killing it?"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/238581-forget-better-ai-we-need-better-dumb-enemies/?p=2765570

I would like anything that rewards careful, methodical play, however given the demonstrated record so far if the stealth aspect were cracked (ie, an enemy discovered our presence) it would just turn into the usual Zerg Swarm tactics by the enemy, turning the Stealth mission into yet another "survive the onrushing Junn Horde".  Spy is supposed to be stealth (or so I gather), but every discovery brings hordes of enemies, turning it into either a run-n-gun fest or a bullet hose nightmare, and Deception is pretty much the same.

Plus, in one of the Devstreams one of the developers (sorry, but I don't know them by name) specifically said they weren't going to reward stealth play, as then everyone would play stealthy as the best way to overcome a mission.  I disagree with that statement, but since I have no input into the designer's ideas or impact upon what they will or will not do, my disagreement is fairly meaningless. 

=)