The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Just Got Over Low Fps ...

Noifurz

So I just went from 25-60fps on my i5-4670 8GB ram xmp and HD7950 OC'd 850/1250 to 1150/1500 and now I have way too big FPS which causes heat problems  avg fps is around 120-180 in defense/survival it goes to 90-100 so is there a way to limit my fps to solid 60 without vsync? cause it makes input lag which I really hate and stuttering is not a problem :P I am not so mad about it. 

And if I have to activate Vsync I better burn my PC down slowly T_T

I on the other hand cannot play without V-sync because screen-tearing is an abomination to me. Input lag, if any, doesn't bother me unless it's 30fps because I'm used to it and don't notice it.

If this happened to my pc, then i wouldn't know if i should be happy or sad...

what ? xD

He's jealous of your super-high frame rate.

Have you looked through your Radeon control panel? Is there an 'Dynamic V-Sync' option? This is similar to nVIDIA's "Adaptive V-Sync". If not, I believe it's inside the RadeonPro third party app, which is a great tool for any Radeon user. This tries its best to stop input lag by disabling v-sync below 60fps, but v-syncs beyond 60fps.

Another method would be to use RivaTuner which has a "FPS Target" option. Or, at least, I know EVGA Precision (for GeForces only, but may work with Radeons since it's RivaTuner really) does. You can limit the game to 60fps that way.

Another option is, if you are seriously overheating as the cause, for cripes sake, improve your cooling. If you're getting any form of overheating under normal usage, such as gaming, your case must be poorly ventilated, your graphics card could be dusty, etc. GPUs are designed with heatsinks that meet their maximum temperature specifications, with perhaps the exception of the HD7990 which does get so hot it needs to slow down a little at times.

Please explain what's overheating, and what temperatures it is reaching. For example if your HD7950 is the one that's breaking 95℃ (GPUs are okay below 100℃, but anything more is really no good. Anything below 90℃ is acceptable, above that is "no good" but "okay"), and you say you overclocked it by 300MHz, have you considered NOT overclocking it? Or reducing your overclock? You shouldn't be so aggressive with an overclock then expect heat to not rise drastically. A 35% overclock like what you have there is going to cause, perhaps, 40% more heat!

Take a more modest one, like 950MHz or 1000MHz.

Rule of thumb, if it gets too hot after overclocking, don't overclock so high.

I on the other hand cannot play without V-sync because screen-tearing is an abomination to me. Input lag, if any, doesn't bother me unless it's 30fps because I'm used to it and don't notice it.

He's jealous of your super-high frame rate.

Have you looked through your Radeon control panel? Is there an 'Dynamic V-Sync' option? This is similar to nVIDIA's "Adaptive V-Sync". If not, I believe it's inside the RadeonPro third party app, which is a great tool for any Radeon user. This tries its best to stop input lag by disabling v-sync below 60fps, but v-syncs beyond 60fps.

Another method would be to use RivaTuner which has a "FPS Target" option. Or, at least, I know EVGA Precision (for GeForces only, but may work with Radeons since it's RivaTuner really) does. You can limit the game to 60fps that way.

Another option is, if you are seriously overheating as the cause, for cripes sake, improve your cooling. If you're getting any form of overheating under normal usage, such as gaming, your case must be poorly ventilated, your graphics card could be dusty, etc. GPUs are designed with heatsinks that meet their maximum temperature specifications, with perhaps the exception of the HD7990 which does get so hot it needs to slow down a little at times.

Please explain what's overheating, and what temperatures it is reaching. For example if your HD7950 is the one that's breaking 95℃ (GPUs are okay below 100℃, but anything more is really no good. Anything below 90℃ is acceptable, above that is "no good" but "okay"), and you say you overclocked it by 300MHz, have you considered NOT overclocking it? Or reducing your overclock? You shouldn't be so aggressive with an overclock then expect heat to not rise drastically. A 35% overclock like what you have there is going to cause, perhaps, 40% more heat!

Take a more modest one, like 950MHz or 1000MHz.

Rule of thumb, if it gets too hot after overclocking, don't overclock so high.

I will check that Dynamic V-sync and I have 6 freakin fans in my PC even tho my room has a pretty low temperature my GPU heats up my room xD (it runs at 65-70 degree celcius) but the noise it makes is really annoying. Don't get me wrong but I don't really like loud places or loud stuff :) I like to be calm and I don't like input lag because I play too many competitive games (CS:GO , League of legends)where disabling vsync is a MUST! and btw even at stock clocks I get really big heat :S 65-70 same as with that OC I hate being on speakers xD cause I can hear all the sht that happens in the house and my PC :/ ....soon Razer Electra soon you will be mine xD... well anyway I hope that Dynamic Sync will help :P thx for the quick response

Another question how I activate this thing cause I found something in my CCC (driver) Frame rate control:

Wait for vertical refresh(Selecting Always ON synchronizes the frame rate of 3D applications to the refresh rate of your display, to avoid the tearingof images that may occur at higher frame rates)

OpenGL Triple Buffering(Improves the frame rate of games when vertical sync is enabled and the frame rate is less than than the refresh rate )  is this that "Dynamic Vertical Sync"?

Edited by Noifurz

Then reduce your GPU overclock, if everything's already full of fans.

Also, take note that the number of fans does not necessarily mean better cooling. A poorly arranged ventilation system can starve critical components of air by causing a vacuum or pulling air out too fast before something can pull it over their heatsinks (e.g. if you have one front intake and five exhausts near the top of the case your GPU could be getting very little air),

Right now I honestly think you need to step down your HD7950's overclock. Take something more modest like 975MHz or 1000MHz. See if it still overheats.

Again I ask, what temperature is it hitting, and what are you experiencing that suggests it is overheating?

I don't see why you say disabling V-sync is a must. I've played "Competitive games" such as BC2, racing ones (NFS:HP), a Korean Counter-strike-alike, Crysis 2, BF3, that new Ghost Recon Phantoms, etc., but I've never felt crippled by v-sync.

Edited by dukarriope

Maybe I exagerated on the overheat but it really annoys me and it doesnt matter how much I reduce OC it still goes up to 65-70 degree celcius and I dont really know what is the average temperature for the Sapphire HD7950 /w Boost Vapor-X edition

Maybe I exagerated on the overheat but it really annoys me and it doesnt matter how much I reduce OC it still goes up to 65-70 degree celcius and I dont really know what is the average temperature for the Sapphire HD7950 /w Boost Vapor-X edition

Well then that's not overheating. As I stated, for graphics cards, the 80~90℃ range is 'acceptable'. Above 90℃ but below 95℃ is still okay but likely bad for lifespan. GPUs are large processors consisting of multiple 'streaming units' that can tolerate more heat than the precision-oriented and sensitive CPUs we use today.

70~80℃ is normal and acceptable for a HD7950, if not good for an overclocked unit. Refer here.

Contrary to the FAQ in this section, graphics cards are okay with any temperatures below 85℃. Above that, you should start getting concerned, unless you're talking 7990s or something. Or if it's a sudden spike without you doing anything. CPUs on the other hand should quite firmly stay below 70℃. Unless you have a nutty one like mine (a Sandy Bridge E), in which case anything below 65℃ at full load should be considered miraculous.

Edited by dukarriope

Another question how I activate this thing cause I found something in my CCC (driver) Frame rate control:

Wait for vertical refresh(Selecting Always ON synchronizes the frame rate of 3D applications to the refresh rate of your display, to avoid the tearingof images that may occur at higher frame rates)

OpenGL Triple Buffering(Improves the frame rate of games when vertical sync is enabled and the frame rate is less than than the refresh rate )  is this that "Dynamic Vertical Sync"?

About this is this the right Dynamic V-sync? that you were talking about. 

About this is this the right Dynamic V-sync? that you were talking about. 

No, that's normal V-sync. Triple-buffering is a different thing all together. I wasn't sure if Catalyst includes a dynamic/adaptive V-sync feature. Try RadeonPro.

I haven't used a Radeon since the HD4870X2 or the MHD5870. So I'm not up to date on Catalyst features.

Either way, 70℃ is perfectly fine. You don't have to worry about that.

Edited by dukarriope

Also mimic what was said about 70C being fine...In fact, you should probably be good anywhere up to 90C with those cards, given the RXXX are essentially the same thing but running at 95C.

For Nvidia, the process is rather simple (stay with me though it may be the same for CCC, or Radeon Pro :P)

Enable V-sync in the control panel

then,

Force "max pre-rendered frames = 1"

This would solve limiting FPS, and get rid of the input lag associated with vsync..

Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: If available, this option - previously known as 'Max Frames to Render Ahead' - controls the number of frames the CPU prepares in advanced of being rendered by the GPU. The default value is 3 - higher values tend to result in smoother but more laggy gameplay, while lower values can help reduce mouse and keyboard lag. However extremely low values such as 0 may hurt performance, so I recommend this option be kept at its default of 3 globally, and only adjusted downwards in specific game profiles. Remember, in most cases mouse lag is due to low framerates, so adjusting this option is not an automatic cure to lag issues, nor should it be the first thing you try. Finally, it only works in DirectX games, not OpenGL games.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

IMO, adaptive V-sync isn't the way to go, as it will only drop vsync when your FPS is below 60. With your rig, you're looking at 60FPS V-sync enabled 99% of the time.

have a hunt through CCC or radeon pro for something similar to 'max pre-rendered' frames then follow the steps above :)

But as the quote i posted said, only enable it for specific games, it can cause issues at times. hope this helps.

EDIT:

Went for a search myself, Radeon Pro (at least the version i was looking at [1.0.10.2]) call it "Flip Queue Size"

Edited by MillbrookWest