Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Jagged Edges

4scend

Question

Hi everyone, Just wondering if there's anyway to remove jagged edges ín game without using AA. The main reason is that I find the jagged edges (and shimmering) to be very noticeable on friendly (other player's) warframes when they are at a distance. Is there anyway to resolve it?

Here is an image i found online which kind of demonstrated what i meant:

http://imgur.com/r/Warframe/smXMaGH

4 answers to this question

Well, there is a guide on Steam somewhere about how you can use AA to stop this, but you're asking how to remove jagged edges without AA.. what's wrong with AA? I mean, there's not really any other way to do it, AA is designed for this precisely.

EDIT: Here is the guide, however it is nVidia only. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182454485&searchtext=nvidia

Edited by Churpy

Thanks for the link and suggestions. I didn't really want AA is because it seems that a weak AA blurs the graphic considerably while a strong AA seems to reduce my fps significantly.

The other thing is the shimmering (for a lack of better word) that can be seen in the image above. There doesn't seem to be anyway to reduce them and I didn't turn on any lighting graphic settings. 

if you're like most people and find the ingame Post Processing AA disgusting looking, there's many other types that you can inject, with varying results.

if you want to reduce Jaggies without any AA period - the ONLY way to do that is to increase the Pixel Per Inch count of your Monitor. which i laymans terms, means get a super high resolution Monitor.

Edit:

I didn't really want AA is because it seems that a weak AA blurs the graphic considerably while a strong AA seems to reduce my fps significantly.

let's clear that up a bit. Post Processing AA - which is what Warframe has built in - and other AA types, such as FXAA - are after the frame Processing stage, stapled on after the fact, before the frame is pushed from the buffer.

Post Processing can be a great way to staple on more visual fidelity without drastically increasing processing time - however, heavy Post Processing effects can add input delay.

Post Processing Anti-Aliasing normally only blurs edges, super lost cost FXAA does this, it blurs the jaggy pixels instead of trying to blend them. it's a cheap filter, which is what FXAA was designed for - to be super lightweight, but still help the image. there are some more complicated FXAA filter(s), that will blur, and then 'unblur', to try to smooth the edges, but also avoid making things blurry. Warframe doesn't directly support this.

a 'strong' Anti-Aliasing method, can vary greatly. 8 or 16x MSAA is certainly fairly strong - but it's ridiculously expensive considering it really doesn't make the image look amazing. personally, i'd never bother above 4x MSAA, because MSAA is... outdated to say the least.

if you'd like to try your hand at externally injecting a few different methods of Anti-Aliasing and see which ones are best for your needs, there's a few injectors out there, as well as Driver level edits for your GPU that can force some more basic AA methods on applications.

if you're worried about framerate, then i'll not talk about the expensive methods - so my suggestion would then be to try injecting SMAA first - as it's as a GPU based method which focuses on efficiency(speed), while improving the image significantly. the method itself even supports a Temporal filter, though i don't think i've seen it applied for game usage, only SMAA on it's own.

since it bases it's processing on the GPU, that means you can not worry about extra cycles on the CPU when it's already doing everything in Warframe, so that could be a plus.

but do your own testing, pick and choose methods that fit your personal needs best.

Edited by taiiat