Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Rookie's Guide To Successful Pvp In Warframe: Modding Edition

Mastikator2

Question

For a more general guide see this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/260783-a-rookies-guide-to-successful-pvp-in-warframe/

A wanted this to have its own thread because modding is a complex issue and I wanted to give it the attention it deserves.

The short version is that you should look at the conclave value of the mod (or ability) and judge if it's worth bringing along.

Think of it as a boxing match, you'll lose weight to fit into a boxing league. Same deal here, if you lose a mod and suddenly you can go into a lower value conclave arena then that might be a good idea.

First is the warframe mods.

Start off with the do not equip these mods:

Ability mods, they are typically very expensive, you generally won't have any energy to use them. If you do equip them, equip the ones that add mobility or utility, such as super jump, invisibility, rip line.

And try to keep a set of low rank versions of these mods they are significantly cheaper. (compare Rip Line rank 1 = 10, rank 3 = 90)

Ability enhancing mods such as continuity, intensity, etc, they're all useless without abilities.

A special case can be made for if you use Rage then you might have energy, though it would mean that you're taking damage but didn't die. More on rage later.

Always try to fit these mods:

Handspring, cost 3 conclave, 9 points, if you get knocked down then this may save your life.

Rush, increases movement speed, makes you harder to hit and lets you cover a greater distance in shorter time, 10 conclave points, 11 points.

Vitality, costs up to 10 points if you max it, 12 points.

Marathon, costs up to 10 conclave and 7 affinity points, you don't need this one maxed out, it's very useful to have high stamina, as you will rely on it for rushing.

Redirection, this one is a bit more expensive than vitality, and shield is not as good as health (because armor, and toxic bypasses shield), even still, if you can afford it, use it.

Steel Frame, on warframes with high armor (Rhino, Frost, Valkyr, Sayrn) this is good to bring along, note that it costs the same as Redirection

Maglev, extends slide length, if you can make room for it, it's worth it.

Quick Rest, increases stamina regen, again if you can make room for it, it's worth it.

Provoked and undying will, they will increase bleed out time and bleed out damage, might be worth bringing along. Though you can only make use of them when you're bleeding out, so other mods may be a better choice.

Note that all of these cost very little conclave points, you could equip all of them and make out with as little as 200 in total (and you'd be about 400%-800% harder to kill)

Special case mods:

Rage, by itself this mod lets you convert damage taken into energy, which is useful if you need abilities, however taking damage is generally considered a bad move, so it's not always worth it to bring Rage even if you do have abilities.

If you do bring Rage, a worthy consideration is Fleeting Expertise, it does not in any way impede mobility mods such as Super Jump and Rip Line, but it does impede Invisibility. (for invis you may want constitution and continuity).

Quick Thinking, conversely, this converts damage taken (that would've killed you) into energy loss. It costs 70 points, but it may save you from sniper shots that would've killed you.

Under no circumstances should you combine Rage and Quick Thinking, there is a special place in hell for those that do, it's called "nobody wants to play with me-hell" (see the Don't Be That Guy section in the other guide).

It should be noted that Magnetic damage PROC will drain all your energy and keep you from getting any for a few sec, effectively nullifying Rage and any energy orb you've picked up.

Weapon Mods

A good to know policy is to focus on one or two weapons, try to always bring all three, but don't spread yourself too thinly.

Primary weapon mods

To bring,

Point Strike and Vital Sense cost only 9 points and 10 concalve each, very cheap and powerful on a crit weapon (soma, grataka, paris, etc).

Serration, it's very expensive to bring and to upgrade, not every rookie has one maxed, and unless you're going to Sedna+ then don't bring a maxed serration even if you have one.

Hellfire, adds up to 90% fire damage for only 11 points and 20 conclave, better than serration if you have to choose.

Cryo Rounds, adds up to 90% cold damage for only 9 points and 20 conclave, better than hellfire if you have to choose, however, bring both if you can, Blast damage causes knockdown!

Infested Rounds, adds 90% toxic damage for 11 points and 30 conclave, toxic damage bypasses shields, very useful,potentially better than hellfire and cryo rounds.

Stormbringer, costs up to 40 and isn't better than the other elemental damage mods, but if you want magnetic damage then put on a rank 0 stormbringer with your maxed cryo rounds.

Metal Auger, adds a great deal of punch through, punch through lets you shoot through walls, that is extremely useful, costs 15 points and 10 conclave, if you're confident in your damage then bring it.

Special mods that are noteworthy

Shred, if you have it then it's better than Metal Auger and Speed Trigger, costs 11 points, 10 conclave and gives 30% speed and 1.2 punch through.

Special Proc mods (thermite rounds, malignant force, high voltage) these are expensive but together they can increase proc rates to nearly 100%, especially with high fire rate and multishot.

Pistol mods

Hornet Strike, it costs 50 conclave, but on the other hand it adds 220% damage, that's so high that Snoop Dog would be jealous.

Heated Shot, like Hellfire it adds 90% fire damage and only cost 11 points and 20 conclave, a fine choice.

Convulsion, again like Stormbringer this adds 90% electric damage but it costs 40 conclave points, an inferior choice compared to Heated Shot.

Deep Freeze, unlike Cryo Rounds, this only adds 60% cold damage, only bring if you're looking to alter your elemental damage into another kind.

Barrel Diffusion, a bit harder to get for rookies, I realize not all have this, but it adds 120% multi-shot for 11 points and 50 conclave. Might be worth it.

Lethal Torrent, like Barrel Diffusion, expensive, hard to find, but worth bringing.

Seeker, again hard to get, but it adds punch through, which is extremely useful, worth brining if you have it.

Special proc mods (Jolt, Scorch, etc) are expensive and hard to get (impossible if you already except for malignant), but are very powerful if you bring them.

Melee Weapon mods

Fury, increases weapon speed, increases copter speed, increases DPS, always bring if you can.

Reach, increases range by 60% and costs only 5 points, your main melee attack should be sliding, which can one-shot most Tenno, overkill damage is useless damage.

Pressure Point, adds 120% damage for only 20 conclave points and 9 affinity, a primary pure damage mod that is cheap, finally. It's also easy to get, most new players have it. Get it to as high level as possible and equip it.

Rending Strike, yes I realize this doesn't stack with elemental mods and only adds damage based on each individual physical stats, however it only costs 10 points, if you're using a high pierce or slash damage melee then this is a good option, otherwise not.

Molten Impact, like always fire mods are good options

Fever Strike, and like always toxic damage mods are always good options, especially for melee.

Stay away from North Wind and Shocking Touch unless you're using them to change elemental damage type into a dual version, in case of shocking touch use focus energy instead if you have it.

Sentinel Mods

Many consider Sentinels to be totally OP and broken, and in some cases that's true. In other cases they are a burden that increase your conclave rating without offering you anything of real value. REMOVE YOUR SENTINEL NOW.

A special case might be made for Shade, with Coolant Leak and Ghost, as it will alert you to enemy presence by making you harder to see, and slow down incoming melee enemies, don't bother putting mods on a sentinel weapon, don't bother putting anything but those two mods if you're using a sentinel.

A good setup is to put good mods on your primary, none on your secondary and Fury on your melee if you're a new player, try not to get as high a score as possible, score is a poor indicator of your lethality.

4 answers to this question

I'll start with the caveat that I don't PvP all that much, and what I do is generally casual with friends, goofing off. That said:

I'm a little confused how there can even be modding suggestions if one of the suggestions is literally to not use an ideal setup (*Rage/QT or AoE weapons - why not?). What does modding optimally have to do with fair play? Sure, if you've agreed beforehand to not use a list of things then don't bring them, but without that list you might as well say 'well don't use shields or health mods durr so we all die faster'. And then later on you suggest using the completely OP combo of Ghost and Coolant Leak. What gives? Why is that okay but black energy invis is not?

I'd second anti-knockdown over recovery, and in fact the main guide you linked mentions that.

If toxin is so prevalent is the -toxin damage mod at all worthwhile? 

Why bring all three weapons when you could deck out one and ignore the others? Wouldnt that be a better use of available conclave points?

Does the sentinel ability Guardian work in PvP? Seems like a pretty damn good thing to have, even if the sentinel itself is incredibly squishy. 

I'll start with the caveat that I don't PvP all that much, and what I do is generally casual with friends, goofing off. That said:

I'm a little confused how there can even be modding suggestions if one of the suggestions is literally to not use an ideal setup (*Rage/QT or AoE weapons - why not?). What does modding optimally have to do with fair play? Sure, if you've agreed beforehand to not use a list of things then don't bring them, but without that list you might as well say 'well don't use shields or health mods durr so we all die faster'. And then later on you suggest using the completely OP combo of Ghost and Coolant Leak. What gives? Why is that okay but black energy invis is not?

I'd second anti-knockdown over recovery, and in fact the main guide you linked mentions that.

If toxin is so prevalent is the -toxin damage mod at all worthwhile? 

Why bring all three weapons when you could deck out one and ignore the others? Wouldnt that be a better use of available conclave points?

Does the sentinel ability Guardian work in PvP? Seems like a pretty damn good thing to have, even if the sentinel itself is incredibly squishy.

i used to be a fan of quick thinking/rage combo as well. but ive found that it makes things too unfair. not only does it make you have more effective health, when qt procs, yes u stagger, but u also get a moment of invulnerability during the stagger that can be easy to abuse. ive gotten a lot of kills and escapes that way.

qt discourages the use of automatic weaps, or anything that cant 1 shot you.

as for the sentinels, i dont find ghost doing that much. coolant leak, i barely notice the effect and it's easy to copter away or escape from it. yeah the shield restore does work in pvp.

bringing just 1 ranged weapons is fine if you wanna save points, kind of a personal preference imo. though with 2, you have the advantage of putting magnetic poison on primary, corrosive on secondary. i swap weapons alot depending on what frame or distance im at.

as for penta and ogris.. well lol ill let someone else explain that. or look at the conclave section, theres a whole thread about it.

personally i like going in without a sentinel since they tend to give away my position.

ill post some good conclave weapons here. in no particular order.l

primary:

burston prime (but do not use if your frame rate isnt stable)

sybaris

latron prime

grakata

soma

vectis

boar prime

secondary:

marelok

brakk

twin wraith vipers

dex furis

akstillettos

akmagnus

melee:

dual ichors

dual kamas

dual zorens

dual ethers

serro

dragon nikana

bo prime

scoliac

nami skyla

fang prime

glaive prime

yep, if you wanna invest in a weapon to forma for conclave, these are all decent.

here are the non explosive op weapons:

orthos prime, boltor prime