Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Physx Way Too Underused

NoirProxy

Today I decided to give the Physx option a go to see if the game was on par with the trailer that was shown recently. Now while the particle swirls are indeed cool, I feel that they are way too underused for what is being presented. Other graphic boosts can't really be noticed seeing as sparks don't even bounce on the floor.

Now I don't know if this is because it hasn't been developed further but why do Warframes like Nyx not have any Physx effects like Excalibur or Mag?

I think these particle effects should be more prominent within the gameplay I mean Nvidia are advertising WARFRAME on the latest driver updates. If this is as far the particle physxs will get then maybe something needs to be discussed as the presentation is somewhat underwhelming.

to my understanding they are still implementing new graphics features as they move along with the beta. They have made mention of DX 11 specific features they will be implementing, and in i think it was the first Q&A stream a brief mention on using physX for blood effects.

me personally i would love to see some of the physx usage in the Batman games be used in regards to smoke/mist effects.

Technically what Warframe is using is Nvidia's APEX framework (which is part of PhysX, so whatever). The specific feature of APEX it's using is the APEX Turbulence.

It seems that APEX Turbulence was originally created to simulate fluid currents, but the devs used it to make some swirly light show. Which is nice, and it does make Warframe look cool.

There is also APEX Destruction, which I believe is out of the picture. Given that only a fraction of players use PhysX, it would screw things up where some players had destruction and others don't.

But yes, it would be nice to see things like APEX Vegetation, and Particles. Not much clothing or cloth in this game, other than the flags at the Grineer boss battle areas.

to my understanding they are still implementing new graphics features as they move along with the beta. They have made mention of DX 11 specific features they will be implementing, and in i think it was the first Q&A stream a brief mention on using physX for blood effects.

me personally i would love to see some of the physx usage in the Batman games be used in regards to smoke/mist effects.

The Batman series is pretty much Gold Standard in my eyes.

Other graphic boosts can't really be noticed seeing as sparks don't even bounce on the floor.

I don't really know if I want to support sparks that bounce even more. They already bounce off walls and obstacles and they bounce right in my face all the time the countless bodies around me explode. I can't really see stuff anymore with all these sparks everywhere, in my opinion these effects should be toned down greatly to be less in-your-face while at the same time more possibilites of using PhysX should be implemented. Fluids like blood and water, cloth and flags in levels, smoke, debris and everything. A ton of subtle effects everywhere without obscuring my view would win my heart.

I don't really know if I want to support sparks that bounce even more. They already bounce off walls and obstacles and they bounce right in my face all the time the countless bodies around me explode. I can't really see stuff anymore with all these sparks everywhere, in my opinion these effects should be toned down greatly to be less in-your-face while at the same time more possibilites of using PhysX should be implemented. Fluids like blood and water, cloth and flags in levels, smoke, debris and everything. A ton of subtle effects everywhere without obscuring my view would win my heart.

As I mentioned in my post though I think this comes down to the Warframe that you use. Nyx for instance has NO effects apart from her 2D ones for her abilites. I even tried Excalibur and it didn't seem that impressive compared to how they did it in the trailer. Just seemed like a tad bit of false advertising in my opinion.

While the PhysX does seem a tad underused (think the stuff in the open beta trailer...how much of that do we actually see in engine?) Warframe is still very much a beta. Once everything is rock solid, we'll probably see more pretty shiny sparks that bounce all over the place in awesome ways.