Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solution To Biggest Problems Of U14 Ui(With Screenshots)

NN13

So,by now we have more than enough threads stating whats wrong with U14 UI.

One of the best threads about this is one opened by KriLL3(@KriLL3 Hope you don't mind me linking your thread with mine,will delete the link if you say so) ->

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/263785-new-ui-feedback-from-uiux-designer-visually-nicer-slower-to-use-more-clicks-to-do-the-same-task/

So,I combined the pre-U14 UI with the new UI to remove these problems to some extent. These are really simple things which could have been done instead of doing the UI from scratch.

NAVIGATION(Home)-

What we have now-

tftby9m.jpg

What it should have been-

cE5Gx6v.jpg

This was just a quick photoshop. Sorry for the Chatbox clipping. I made it to just convey the idea. Devs could have given the chrome finish to this instead of those billiard balls.

Also,notice that the matchmaking mode selection is in the navigation screen instead of in the ESC menu in the second picture.

Mission Selection-

U14 UI failed miserably at clearly stating which mission to do to unlock another mission.

As you may notice,in the first screenshot below,the Dark Sector "UR" is locked for me. And as far as I remember,the mission beside it,i.e.,"ASSUR" is not the mission which would unlock "UR". I don't have the slightest idea about which mission to do to unlock "UR".

ublJNXc.jpg

This could have been solved easily. Suppose, "OPHELIA" is the mission that unlocks the "UR" node. Then,just like pre-U14 UI,we needed this-

WrO6FlS.jpg

Yes,simple lines joining a node to its previous and next nodes.

The ESC Menu-

I assume that the ESC Menu was given for quick access to the Inventory,Arsenal,etc. But it doesn't do what its suppose to. Instead of creating submenus like we have now-

kW2iaVq.jpg

BPtCaRZ.jpg

It could have been just this-

F7SMhdt.jpg

The Foundry and Mods-

When I first saw the Foundry and Mods screen,the first thought I had was "WTH,why is my Warframe looking at the screen. I am the Tenno myself,I am supposed to see the screen." Yes,it was supposed to be shown in a First-Person view. Also,it looks really awkward as of now,since I can barely see the whole screen and I constantly need to drag my mouse to see everything. Also,removing the "Components" column from Foundry was the worst idea devs came up with.

What we have-

zyT4id0.jpg

What it should have been-

HnCGCga.jpg

That's all for now,will add more things as I get time to do so. Thank You.

Edited by NN13

I agree with your notes on the esc menu, everything else? Not so much. To be fair there IS a component viewing button which is WAY more usable than the old component view once you start getting S#&$e tons of prime parts

I hate the navigation UI only, everything else is whatever, no idea what I need to do to unlock this specific sector, I can't click on the alert to bring me to the planet that it is on, and I don't know what each of the little icon above the planets even is, not to mention I have to GET INTO A PLANET to know what resources it contains.

Jesus F*** DE, why.

in this order: NO. maybe. No. NO.

what you're saying for the first and last is you just want what we used to have. pointless.  second would help clear up some issues but that would still be a kind of regression. for the third, that is way too much stuff for one menu to fit on the screen. makes it even harder to use for smaller resolutions and the text itself smaller when compensating. so, no. nostalgia is nice but it has no place when moving forward with stuff like this.

what you're saying for the first and last is you just want what we used to have. pointless.  second would help clear up some issues but that would still be a kind of regression. for the third, that is way too much stuff for one menu to fit on the screen. makes it even harder to use for smaller resolutions and the text itself smaller when compensating. so, no. nostalgia is nice but it has no place when moving forward with stuff like this.

-The current Planet view is a mess, there's no sense without a stellar grid (current is barely linear), planets are hard to tell from one another, and there's barely no information regarding resources, mission types and unlocking.;

-Making less clicks is a regression? Current system is confusing and slow to get around. They can simply downscale the letters or toggle with mouse roll, I don't need a Quit Game more than 5x bigger comparing to chat size to see it;

-Mods & foundry currently are clustered, give fps drops and nausea to people. If this is moving forward we have a cliff up ahead.

-------------

Sorry if I seem too aggressive but it's not only about Visual vs Convenience & *new stuff*. They replaced a working system with an UI that isn't helping players smooth and *immerse, it only makes things more confusing and unfriendly.

-The current Planet view is a mess, there's no sense without a stellar grid (current is barely linear), planets are hard to tell from one another, and there's barely no information regarding resources, mission types and unlocking.;

-Making less clicks is a regression? Current system is confusing and slow to get around. They can simply downscale the letters or toggle with mouse roll, I don't need a Quit Game more than 5x bigger comparing to chat size to see it;

-Mods & foundry currently are clustered, give fps drops and nausea to people. If this is moving forward we have a cliff up ahead.

-------------

Sorry if I seem too aggressive but it's not only about Visual vs Convenience & *new stuff*. They replaced a working system with an UI that isn't helping players smooth and *immerse, it only makes things more confusing and unfriendly.

they need more upfront information, sure, but why does it need to be linear? they're colorful they're also juxtaposed to different planets which never change the order they are in. easy enough to get used to, moreso than a spinning thing of planets which frequently got in each other's way. this change also allows DE to put new planets/moons into the circle without having to worry too much about running out of space.

it is when the proposed change would make it so the S#&$ won't fit on the screen. also less S#&$ to click on per menu is better.

what? bugs. annnd sounds like some personal issues.

just an fyi, i am always aggressive. they replaced an outdated system with one that does give player immersion and makes a hell of a lot more sense out of all the S#&$ we can do. it's also a hell of a lot more fun while being completely practical, something that couldn't really be said of the spinning planets and blue line of death.

ya some of the major things that need to be changed. I hope they actually do this instead of just saying screw the user they will learn(because i think i would give up on it -.- if they did)

Edited by WingKiller

Sorry if you didnt get it. I dont want the same exact graphics like the pre-U14 UI....I will be very happy if Devs used that eye-catching graphics for the entire solarmap instead of giving a chrome finish to billiard balls in Navigation. If you played Mass Effect 3,you would know I am talking about something close to the Galaxy map of Normandy.

As for the third one(I assume you are talking about the ESC menu),I actually edited the ESC Menu. Tell me,even with all those options,is it really very small than what we have now? It's actually not. I just used the blank spaces in the ESC menu to fit all the options.

I agree with your notes on the esc menu, everything else? Not so much. To be fair there IS a component viewing button which is WAY more usable than the old component view once you start getting S#&$e tons of prime parts

I do have $hit ton of prime parts,but well,choices differ. But atleast they could show the resources like Salvage 34000/500,instead of Salvage 500/500.

It's always good to know how many of each resource you will be left with after building a part.

A note on unlocking nodes, it's actually extremely simple, something new players would realize right away through observation. Clearing a node unlocks all adjacent nodes.

On the first point, I want and hope for a proper stellar map in this new UI system.

For the foundry, I think the panels just need to be made about 1/4 narrower, so that there is some void space where the Warframe can stand. There's a lot of wasted space in those panels so this could be easily done.

The mod menu is similar, I feel like the left-most column should be gotten rid of to create some void space for the Warframe and to make the wall of cards less overwhelming.