Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Weapons Do Not Sound Heavy

Seox

Heya all!

Many of warframe's sound effects sound amazing, and weapon sounds are no different. Many of the automatic weapons feel incredibly satisfying, with the Karak being a particular favorite of mine (TAKTAKTAKTAKTAK-click...TAKTAKTAK-click!)

That said, my favorite weapons are usually of the heavier variety, and at first I was concerned that warframe really lacked weapons on the heavier end of the scale. Thinking about it, though, I feel like the issue has more to do with the SFX than the weapons themselves.

As an example, the machine guns (soma/gorgon) are both pretty high pitched for what they are, and neither really feels like a punchy large caliber rifle. The sniper rifles feel similar, as there really aren't any with that heavy, bassy BOOM to them that imply a really heavy impact. While the lighter crack of  some of these rifles is also satisfying, it really misses out on the opportunity to create weapons that confer a different style.

Heck, go listen to the tigris - for a double barreled shotgun with some insane alpha, it sounds like a muffled pistol compared to some of the weapon sound effects in other games.

The latron is another example of a weapon that traditionally fits other roles but doesn't sound like it - I'm a big fan of battle rifles in other games - rifles that might as well be sniper rifles without scopes. Lots of these games feature sounds with a lot more oomph than the nearly-suppressed sound of the latron prime in warframe. 

The lex comes to mind as one of the few weapons with a sound that really strikes me as heavy, and it's no surprise that many players seem to feel that this adds a layer of authenticity to the weapon given its per-hit alpha.

TL;DR Warframe has a ton of weapons that fit many style preferences, and many of them have really satisfying sounds that convey lighter, more elegant weapons. Many of these weapons, however, (latron, tigris, gorgon, etc) feel like they should have a heavier, beefier sound to help carry the "heavy firepower" style that they're about.

Are there any weapons or weapon sound effect changes planned to address this gap in the warframe arsenal? If not, we should consider looking at doing so, because we're missing out on an entire class of weapons and style.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Seox

as the sound team is doing a great work with sound and i like the sounds we currently have. I personally don't think that we have a real heavy weapon yet (main weapon/ excluding launchers).

i still waiting for a heavy machinegun 

as the sound team is doing a great work with sound and i like the sounds we currently have. I personally don't think that we have a real heavy weapon yet (main weapon/ excluding launchers).

i still waiting for a heavy machinegun 

Either way, if that's the case, then the suggestion becomes "Can we get a heavy battle rifle/true machine gun or two to round out the arsenal?"

If that's not the case, then I think that the sounds for our heavier weapons could be improved. Like I said before, though, the majority of the weapons in Warframe are really well done, sound-wise, so I'm not simply here to put them down.