The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Bsod Code 116 Nvidia Driver Issues

Schism_Walker

Hey people!

I keep getting a complete system (Main Monitor goes a colour (Mostly black and PC either resets itself or I hit the reset button after a minute or two) crash in Void Missions or Survival at about 5-10 minutes in. I've had this issue with Warframe before and usually reinstalling would fix it for a time. However I'm blessed with living out the middle of the English country side and my connection at the moment is about 14kpbs (Can play at 4-9am at 400kbps)...so having "nam" flashbacks to Dialup here. I did also recently reformat and before that things were running fine, but this was prior to update 14 so I do wonder if it could be some bugs they haven't ironed out yet...Naturally I will be trying a fresh install first thing when I can.

Anyway my Specs

MB: P8Z77-V

CPU: i7-2700K

RAM 8GB

HDD(s) 500gb For OS, and Software, 1TB for Games, 300GB Scratch disk

GPU: EVGA Nvidia 660GTX Ti SC

Anyway I've tried everything I can that I have read up on and whats worked in the past none of which have worked so far:

Turning off/on; 64bit, multi threading, DX11 No change

Tried deleted the local roaming data for the game (Crashes and that file with a sting of letters and numbers)

Verifying (Through Launcher and Steam) and Defraging

Fiddling with Nvidia settings and Windows settings regarding power performance to maximum.

Rolled back drivers from most recent Nvidia (337.88 back to 335.23 which I recall being more stable with other games too)

Underclocking the GPU

Cleaned my Registry with CCleaner

Scanned for Viruses

Sacrificing small children to the dark RNG gods (Never hurts...local orphanage is &!$$ed though)

Smashing my head against a wall in wild hope I will develop an aneurism that will at least make me hallucinate playing Warframe

NONE of this has worked so far however.

So the game is now reinstalling as I type which should be finished by the next iceage, naturally I expect my descendants to pick off from where I left. But I am interested to anyone else having encountered the Nvidia related 116 BSOD and if they're having troubles or have found fixes. Look back to hearing from you :)

Additional: Occasionally on the latest Nivida driver (prior to reformat and before it started messing with my other games) Warframe would crash but just to desktop with a message about the display driver crashing but soon reverted to the BSOD instead.

If you're getting BSOD, it may be hardware related?

CPU running at stock? always a question for 'K' series owners...

Are you overclocking anything else? Northbridge, RAM for example?

Can your PSU facilitate you overclocking? What brand and rating does it have? gold, silver, bronze?

Does your Mobo have the latest BIOS revision (do this absolutely last of last resorts....death may ensue :/ ), Does your GPU have the latest bios? - again, do last of the last. fudged bios is bad business.....

Other solutions off the top of my head....data corruption? You seem to have done quite a bit with the OS. CCleaner isn't a 'fix' and many IT guys will tell you not to use it. People tend not to go through every flagged entry.....of which there may be thousands.

try running the sfc /scanonce or chkdsk command lines.

sfc will check your system files

chkdsk will check for corruption

I must say, Schism_Walker, the human sacrifice idea was absolutely brilliant. It totally did not occur to me to try that, even though I have precisely the same problem.

I did, however, replace my hdd (hard drive), checkdsk with thorough scan and repair, and memcheck. None of which I recommend, as there is not a snowball's chance in Mercury of any of these things being wrong with your computer.

To the best of my ability to ascertain, which is to say my WAG (wild-arz-guess), is that the game crashes when player A kills multiple enemies in a single mightly blow within a certain range of player B. Sadly, I believe it is player B that blue-screens.

I don't want you to think your human sacrifices are wasted. At the very least, you have spared a fortunate few the agonies of Warframe beta. For that, I salute you.

Please don't flash your bios. A bobby might think your inappropriate raincoat and your mbd's (motherboard's) girlish cries of dismay add up to loitering, or some such.

Edited by Derpo

Please disregard the well-meaning but wildly misguided advice given by MillbrookWest. This estimable fellow would have you reconfigure your mbd as a paperweight while wasting several hours of your time because God has revealed to him that Warframe can never be to blame. You and I might notice that the crash report numbers increment by hundreds of crashes between two of our successive crash missions, or we might notice that dozens of stalwarts have reported similar crashes in these very forums. Never mind that, you need to flash your motherboard bios--a procedure about as likely to leave a smoking ruin as not, but with zero likelihood of improving anything for you.

Please disregard the well-meaning but wildly misguided advice given by MillbrookWest. This estimable fellow would have you reconfigure your mbd as a paperweight while wasting several hours of your time because God has revealed to him that Warframe can never be to blame. You and I might notice that the crash report numbers increment by hundreds of crashes between two of our successive crash missions, or we might notice that dozens of stalwarts have reported similar crashes in these very forums. Never mind that, you need to flash your motherboard bios--a procedure about as likely to leave a smoking ruin as not, but with zero likelihood of improving anything for you.

this is why i said do it last, no? ;)

Even as i said though, flashing the bios can lead to death. And one goes there at their own risk.

However, vendors do issue stability fixes for overclocking. Even for GPU's. I've had to do it once before with an old AMD/ATI card. Motherboard needed updating due to BSOD. ASUS board iirc.

However, it is best to remove yourself from the equation. So for thoroughness, i simply informed him of the options that were available to him.

this is why i said do it last, no? ;)

Even as i said though, flashing the bios can lead to death. And one goes there at their own risk.

However, vendors do issue stability fixes for overclocking. Even for GPU's. I've had to do it once before with an old AMD/ATI card. Motherboard needed updating due to BSOD. ASUS board iirc.

However, it is best to remove yourself from the equation. So for thoroughness, i simply informed him of the options that were available to him.

I admit your motives are of the purist, and your information is accurate and valuable. If the only post you read was Schism_Walker's, your suggestions would be among the best possible. No disrespect intended, you are clearly a good fellow.

Hey guys thanks for the replies, this may be a little incoherent due to only having just woken up. XD

I flashed the BIOS earlier this year and at the time didn't make a difference to Warframe unfortunately and am still running the most recent version. The CPU is OC'd to 4.4ghz which was initially done by scan.co.uk who I brought it from an OC bundle I emailed them with a lot of paranoia and was assured the bundle was safe and stress tested for two days. Hey don't me wrong should the reinstall not work I will begrudgingly put it back (Scared of overclocking) to stock which I believe is 3.5 or 3.6 (Of course I will look this up should it come to it). Oh as for RAM I'm not entirely sure. When I last reclocked after the BIOS Flash it kept it at 1333 and its Corsair XMS 1600 (also what is was before flashing) but I eventually got to use the right frequency since it was having issues and causing the OC settings to not stick...(Went through 9 7 years olds before I figured that one out :P...probably should cut back on the jokes before I'm sectioned XD)

Oh and yes to answer MillbrookWest, yeah I did the SFC thing earlier today and no issues what so ever on that front, I mean if anything all this is telling me that everything else on my PC is working solidity (for the moment) and I will now attempt the corruption check/

Also I the crashes hit me solo too, but I was using my Jat Kitag and Rhino Prime so a lot of flying bodies so maybe that? as I tested a few time over the morning running a Void Ext with me and my Kubrow (My Kubrow deserves mention because I love him so much).

And yes as I tell many of the newer screaming players who have a slight bug "Beta is beta, restart the game and hope for the best or wait for the hotifx.

As I said that maybe wasn't clear (vision is blurry :P) :/ Get back to me if you want me to clarify anything more :) Oh and two questions whats "Northbridge" and just for likely the sake of humor what does "MDB mean?

Okay haven't finished (the post) turns out the internet was down so I did the chkdsk finished. It found no problems what so ever, so that's good. Warframe should finish installing very soon and then its got to patch as I said in the original post this usually solves the issues for a while anyway. I do wonder if the connection could also be a contributing factor.

Oh and my PSU is a Corsair Builder Series CX600, I can't for the life of me remember what rating it was however. WRONG

Sorry looked up my invoice, its a

Corsair CP-9020012-UK Gaming Series GS600 600W Power Supply (PSU)

And its bronze rated at 80 no idea if that's good or beginning to edge in to being crappy. I don't the know the Power Supply rating system.

Edited by Schism_Walker

If i read your OP without the title, i probably wouldn't have mentioned flashing bios, the BSOD is what gets me '^_^

A couple of less invasive measures though (since you've used CCleaner)

Download the latest Nvidia drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/75991/en-us

PhysX:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.13.1220-driver.html

Don't install them yet

Download Driver Sweeper (page has instructions on how to use it):

http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

This should remove everything related to your GPU drivers. If you still crash after this, not your GPU at fault.

It's very hot in the UK atm, if you are consistently crashing after 10 mins or so, check your temps aren't too high. I suspect to reach those clocks the builders increased the voltage, thus increasing heat. If it is air-cooled it could have a bit of dust keeping it from cooling as efficiently as it did....the record temps aren't gunna help either ;)

use core temp, or HWmonitor (or any monitoring program) and check everything is ok, personally recommend HMmonitor or HWinfo as it reads almost every sensor your PC has. (personally use HWinfo for the graphs). If you see anything above 80 (exc. GPU) take note of it.

With it being a video driver reported issue, the driver still requires the CPU to function. Try running Prime95 (essentially doing your own stress test - you're gunna have to download it, small file iirc) If a core fails, it should inform you, and you can go about turning down your overclock.

The northbridge is just the chip that sits between (usually) the CPU, GPU, and RAM. I like to think it got it's name from being higher on the motherboard :) The southbridge controls the ports and input devices, and usually sits at the bottom. EDIT: Overclockers will usually overclock the CPU, RAM and Northbridge (as all the are connected). Though there is little gain in real world scenarios.

I don't rightly know what "mdb" is though, you're gunna have to ask Derpo :p

If the hardware is fine and everything is returning good, the last stop would probably be a re-install of the OS (thus removing every driver or installed application that could cause an issue via registry edits or other)....The OS thing is probably not on the table as it's a pain to lose all your stuff, but, as a last resort you can try sending support your EE.log and hope warframe has been logging before you've had to turn off?

Edited by MillbrookWest

Okay, although my response may have to be tomorrow due my internet right now, another family member is trying to sort that out. So downloading everything you've suggested will take a bit, so hopefully you can bear with me.

If its any hope I know at the moment through temp monitoring software EVGA Precision, and AI Suite that the CPU never goes above 46 (That being said I've only seen go above 50 once and that was on Battlefield 3) And the GPU never goes above 65 at most with warframe I have the temp monitor on the secondary monitor for the GPU because I panic if it goes above 70.

Speaking of Driver Sweeper I recall using that last time I had problems with a Nvidia driver (I still kept on the one before the most recent, mentioned in OP) But I recall I fewer issues, so I shall definitely being trying it again

As said I will use the software you've recommended and get back to you as soon as I can. But at 14kbps as I said likely tomorrow. Thanks for your help as I said I've had this issue with Warframe a few times before, but I though this time I'd actually take it to the forums that way other people who may or are encountering the problem may get some help too. I've also done a lil readding around but (and thankfully) over the last one or two years Nvidia have really been dropping the ball with their drivers...But people have had this issue with AMD too.

if you pass by here during the day, I noticed you said you have AI suite (this goes into the whole OS re-install thing).

That program has been known to cause BSOD by interfering with the mobo overclocks. IIRC, one of the earlier revisions was practically unstable.

You can try downloading revo uninstaller (i apologise for asking to download so much, but the programs are better then what windows has built in :( ). Uninstall with revo, it should give 2 deep options [moderate & advanced], either will do depending on how comfortable you feel.

This should remove the registry entries (so no need for CCleaner down the road) during the uninstall process.

Your set-up is pretty similar to mine, asus board, 8GB RAM, except i run an OC 660 & OC 8320. 

At this point, i'd probably say the GPU itself is having issues, or Windows (as the case with AI suite) may have something interfering causing errors or corruption.

If you have any spare GPU's lying around, try switching them out. Alternatively, try superunderclocking your GPU, set base clock offset and memory offset to -105 and try running warframe then. Do you have a program to specifically stress the GPU? If you do it would be preferable to running Warframe as they will push your card to the limit.

Also, although I don't think Schism has a hardware nor a driver issue, I would say that MillbrookWest probably meant to mention clearing dust out of the heatsink and possibly reinstalling the heatsink with new thermal compound. MillbrookWest did not mention SpeedFan, an open-source overclocking analysis tool that will tell you if you are getting hot. It's a great tool even if you don't overclock. Did I mention the problem is with Warframe and not with you? Okay, press on =P

MBD = MotherBoarD

HDD = HarDDrive

Sorry, you both seemed very techy, so I used jargon.

I usually just call it mobo cause you can swap a letter and catch people off guard xD

Also, although I don't think Schism has a hardware nor a driver issue, I would say that MillbrookWest probably meant to mention clearing dust out of the heatsink and possibly reinstalling the heatsink with new thermal compound. MillbrookWest did not mention SpeedFan, an open-source overclocking analysis tool that will tell you if you are getting hot. It's a great tool even if you don't overclock. Did I mention the problem is with Warframe and not with you? Okay, press on =P

Indeed, speedfan is another powerful little program. It can even read your HDD's smart data, top stuff imo.

I usually just call it mobo cause you can swap a letter and catch people off guard xD

Indeed, speedfan is another powerful little program. It can even read your HDD's smart data, top stuff imo.

So I might have to eat crow, here. That's an Americanism for admitting I'm wrong. I ran a SpeedFan chart of all my temperatures and I found that Warframe actually crashed due to GPU temp. My GPU is set to shut down when it reaches 80 degrees celcius, which is very hot. Way too hot. According to my SpeedFan charting function, GPU temp spiked to 80 just as Warframe crashed.

I am testing this theory. I have an external electric air pump intended for overclocking CPUs that I am rigging to my GPU. This fan pumps enough air that it should be impossible to get the GPU up to 80 C. Unfortunately, my kids have 'borrowed' my tools and I'm having to do major surgery with a rusty butter knife. I will let you know how it goes.

Hey guys! Just wanted you know it finished reinstalling at long last! This is not actully Schism Walker but his great, great, great Grandson...okay shutting up. Anyway its works fine. did a T1 ext NO crash. But I'm still going to try West's other fixes just because the software suggested seems superior. So okay the short term fix thus far seems to be a clean install of Warframe, but in the past this works from anything from a couple of weeks to a month its seems to depend on how much I play (Gradual corruption or something?)

So not to conclude but just leaving off with yup tis working! :) But I'll also just download the software advised and try it out. But I think as Derpo has said it must be an issue with the game itself. But I wouldn't rule anything out so far early days as yet.

And sadly it did take me this long to work out when Derpo was being sarcastic lol (I'm slow on these things :P) Get back to you soon guys and thanks!

Okay I'm back just got the same BSOD while doing Lephantis (But I did him earlier at it was fine). I'm going to reinstall again, but first I'm going to do a driver wipe and reinstall and try the newest one instead. Although I'm convinced its something in the game. I wish DE knew what it was or at least had some news on anything to do with progress on tackling this bug, but just going to reinstall and try the suggested fixes like West advised.

Is there anyway I can forward this directly to the Devs?

Someone at DE reads every word of this forum, believe it or not. Posting this thread was probably your most efficient way of getting them the message.

On an unrelated topic, I'm dying to see a screeny of the SpeedFan temperature charts right after your Warframe crashes. Any chance you could post that?

Haven't got Speedfan installed as yet. It could conflict with my anti virus software. also I need to reinstall Warframe again. I have HWMonitor and things are running a little hotter than AI Suite had be believe. But my CPU has only gone to 61 once and mostly sticks at mid 40's to low 50's under load. Even so it makes me a little nervous because I only ever saw it hit the 50's once. I'm just hoping that okay for my CPU I get really panicky about temps.

But I'll try out the Speedfan when I've got Warframe back, as I've said we've got major connection issues right now.

Oh and for West. HW Monitor is on, Revo installer kicks arse imo! and I've done a clean install of the most recent driver with Display Driver Uninstaller as its called now. I am fully convinced its just something within Warframe now however.

PS. If any Dev reads this if you know anything, ANYTHING at all what could cause this issue, I'd just like to know. even its like "Oh its a bug in a thingie that we haven't fixed yet." I just want confirmation that you know about it, pleeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssseeeeee

Also I've had problems with Lephantis causing it before, I think its something to do with how long and repetitive certain elements of that boss can be (Especially when the rest of your squad decided to use Paris Prime, takes for forever like that)

Hey again guys, I've SpeedFan on and am worried (mabye for no reason) because I've just discoverd *Drumroll* CORE TEMP which spikes a lot (loading programs and such) an d runs hotter that the standard CPU temp. now I've done my research and Core temp is what I really want to be watching but, I just want an opinion directly here (Keep in mind a I have a small room and its summer right now lol) But my idle seems to be 35 but on the load the max my cores have shot to is 64 not seen it go higher on the cores, even so I just have to ask is that okay, normal or safe? I'm OC'd to 4.5 ghz but I get really (as I've said) worried about temps. Is that okay for a i7 2700k???

Hey again guys, I've SpeedFan on and am worried (mabye for no reason) because I've just discoverd *Drumroll* CORE TEMP which spikes a lot (loading programs and such) an d runs hotter that the standard CPU temp. now I've done my research and Core temp is what I really want to be watching but, I just want an opinion directly here (Keep in mind a I have a small room and its summer right now lol) But my idle seems to be 35 but on the load the max my cores have shot to is 64 not seen it go higher on the cores, even so I just have to ask is that okay, normal or safe? I'm OC'd to 4.5 ghz but I get really (as I've said) worried about temps. Is that okay for a i7 2700k???

With intels, you only really need to worry about how long you wanna keep the chip. You'd have to go to great lengths to burn it out.

@100C your CPU will shut off to prevent killing itself. 90C is worrying, 80C is upper limits of what one should feel comfortable with. 60C is perfectly fine, you don't wanna run it there for very, very long (talking whole days here) but with that overclock, it's sufficient.

And don't worry about the rate at which it climbs. CPU sensors only 'care' about temps closer to the limit, anything colder to them is unimportant. AMD are pretty bad with this, coz if my sensor is to be believed, my PC should be shooting out snowflakes (at night, left to idle, core has 0C reading), but when i disturb it to do tasks it rises very quickly to 27C (which is what it should be). browsing the internet, like i am right now shows 13C....thats below my rooms ambient temp (impossible on an air cooler), so yeah, don't pay attention to the rate at which it picks up xD

My old C2Q used to idle at 48C and rose to 78C under load. It's still alive somewhere.

However, cooler is always better, the cooler it runs the longer it will last :)

Okay Reinstalled (Again) this time running without directx11 or multihtreading, so far so good, I think this is actually what I did to fix it way back. Turning off DirectX11 seems to have helped a lot of people with similar issues.

If it starts to play up again, try lowering the GPU clocks for memory and core down. If you can get your hands on any other GPU, that would be even better, i digress though :)

However, if its working now the most important thing is that its working and that you can play warframe :D