Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Actually Play Nekros O_O

Semshol

Question

Okay everyone,

Literally EVERYDAY, I see some topic about how Nekros  is underpowered and shouldn't be a chinese gold-farmer, should be more of a necromancer, 'gib buff plz'. Okay, NO, enough. I will show you all how to play a very FUN Nekros. He raises the dead, gets more loot, gets in all the clubs, and has a 12 inch rifle. I BEG you all to at least TRY this freakin' build before asking for Nekros rework. Try it first, follow it to the letter and THEN tell me you aren't having fun.

Now without further adieu, here is build:

Aura - Energy Siphon (don't go Corrosive unless you are VERY good at managing energy, I am not that person.)

Mods:

- Redirection (max)

- Vitality (max)

- Desecrate (max)

- Shadows of the Dead (a.k.a. Edo Tensei, max)

-  Streamline (max)

- Fleeting Expertise (ranked to -40% duration, thereby giving a total of 70% power efficiency)

- Continuity (max)

- Intensify (max)

- Natural Talent (max)

- Equilibrium/Rage (I prefer Equilibrium ranked to 7)

This particular build allows you to spam Desecrate and your Edo Tensei will get you out of trouble fast with maxed Natural Talent. (-50% cast speed, your shadows start to work damn near instantly)

How to actually play this build:

Kill stuff with your weapon, choose something that is strong. I tend to prefer heavy hitting weapons with this build, so I often go either Dread or Latron Prime. More recently, it's Latron.

Now, this build DOES NOT focus on range. Why? Because you should not be running after your Saryn or whoever is spamming their ult, just to desecrate corpses. You can follow along, but if you've got a good weapon, TAKE THE KILLS FOR YOURSELF. Why? Damage based ults don't scale. Players who use them are annoying as F*** in the early stages of the game, but they'll be crying once their ult. doesn't clear rooms, especially if they don't have a good weapon. That is where you must SHINE. Your shadows SCALE, whatever the enemy level is that you killed it at, it pops back out at that level. Use that to your advantage.

If enemy horde coming at you, TAKE COVER, you'd be surprised how many Warframe players think they are Space Marines and don't know how to use cover. Summon yours Shadows, Shadows take aggro and you'll have about 9 to support you. Use the time to recover shields, it should only take 8 - 10 seconds. If enemy has an AoE mob (bombards or napalms), kill that one first (i.e. the Bombard or Napalm or whatever). Let your shadows take aggro first. During last 10 seconds of Edo Tensei, kill enemies and desecrate. All orbs will heal both energy and health allowing you to feed off that immensely.

The synergy between energy and health is important to Nekros. Why? You will be popping out a lot of orbs of both kinds. This allows you to make more mistakes than other frames. Take a few hits, it won't matter at all. But what will matter is whether or not you are effectively assisting your team. Your job is to raise those shadows for support and to ensure as many corpses pop out additional loot as possible.

You are NOT there to be the DPS king (though if you have a good weapon, you already will be). You are NOT there to be the tank. You are NOT there to be the loot farmer.

PLAY the game, instead of spamming 3, getting bored and then whining about Nekros needing a buff.

Sundry Explanations:

- Why no terrify???? WHYYYYYYY? - You don't need it, your team will handle the CC, even in random groups. Worse comes to worse, you're wasting energy with Terrify. Use your Edo Tensei and make use of cover...don't just stand in the open. Also terrified enemies run, it gets a bit tougher to aim with certain weapons, just my feeling. If you REALLY want terrify, get a Raksa Kubrow with Howl, pseudo terrify and it won't affect your energy levels.

Why no Soulpunch???? WHYYYYY? - There is no situation that requires it. Seriously.

Why no maxed Range??? WHYYYY? - After much testing I found that you don't need to Overextend your desecrate just to hit every corpse. You are a looter, but that is not your primary function unless you are playing as 'the Looter' in clan and everyone will protect you like crazy. This doesn't happen so I chose a more functional play-style

Bonus Mode - Sacri Nekros:

This was a build named after the Sacri Paladin from Ragnarok (it was so long ago I can't remember), how it works is simple. Replace redirection with Rage. This allows you to have endless energy but I don't like this build because it doesn't give me a shield-buffer that I feel Nekros needs.

-----

So everyone, before you talk about reworking Nekros, TRY using a proper build. Just TRY. I am not asking you to like it, if you really try this build and tell me that it isn't an exhilarating thrill to be able to run, shoot and cast all at the same time. I will let you type your rework post.

Oh yeah and in case you didn't know, Nekros can cast while sliding and jumping (Desecrate). So yeah don't stand still and desecrate. MOVE and desecrate. Run and shoot, shoot and run. Also you can use your Shadows (Edo Tensei) while sliding, use that to slide behind cover while casting, get up and kill everything immediately after.

Your build sucks.

Nekros is built to desecrate. If you're not spamming desecrate, you're playing Nekros wrong.

You should be spamming Desecrate with this build, as I noted, I often do desecrate continously. However, not every team will have a perfect formation so a panic button is necessary in my experience. I choose Shadows over Terrify, because I find that it gives me more breathing room. You can't re-terrify while something is terrified. Similarly you can't re-chaos when there is already Chaos going on. Shadows are therefore a little more useful, because if the Nyx is jammed up and needs 1 - 2 more seconds, my Shadows do a nice job of holding.

Try the build for yourself, see how easy it is to constantly Desecrate while having more than one use to the party.

Shadows are all types of derpy and are more likely to dronejam you or run away than actually draw aggro. 9/10 people I see using SoTD are trolling, and the other 1 guy just isn't being useful. 

One of the main problems with Shadows is that they stay in an area. They are a panic button for when you are locked down. In that regard, I do admit, they are slightly less useful than Terrify (which works equally in all situations), they don't follow you around. However, as tougher enemies spawn, teams do get locked down quite a bit and for that reason, I tend to favour Shadows over Terrify.

I usually throw Redirection on as the last mod in the set, so I play with little to no shields while leveling the Nekros himself. What I've seen is that once you have Natural Talent to get the shadows out faster. Your Nekros basically gets 27 seconds of breathing room. Especially in the early stages when everyone just runs off instead of fighting together (sans T4).

If a skill is barely used that skill is in need of rework. Enough said. All nekros is, as it stands, is a gold farmer. He needs a rework. His 3 is all people want him for, diverting from that focus makes you significantly less desirable.

Edited by Gryffinhart

Hmm... I wouldn't use that build. To me personally Nekros has only 1 useful purpose: farmin' all the things.

My build is:

Desecrate - Max Rank

Overextend - Max Rank

Stretch - Max Rank

Fleeting Expertise - Max Rank

Streamline - Max Rank

Flow - Max Rank

Natural talent - Max Rank

And just desecrate all the things.

You know that Energy Efficiency has cap of 75%, therefore going over 75% without having efficiency reduction from other(blind rage) mods is plain and simple waste of mod points. I guess you don't spend enough time in-game to know such essential things. I would recommend going with this build http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Nekros/t_30_14403123043_2-2-10-4-4-5-5-5-2-8-10-5-19-9-10-46-3-5-54-7-10-55-8-5-57-1-5-59-6-3-90-0-3_90-5-57-8-2-6-46-11-4-5-5-8-59-5-54-7-55-11-19-7-8-14_34/en/1-0-12/1018/0 , just replace steel fiber with natural talent. It's expensive, but it's worth it. IMMORTAL part is true.

Edited by .-N1SoCalledCrewFan-.

If a skill is barely used that skill is in need of rework. Enough said. All nekros is, as it stands, is a gold farmer. He needs a rework. His 3 is all people want him for, diverting from that focus makes you significantly less desirable.

Cool thing about this is, nobody actually looks at your build. They have their expectations and more often than not, I meet them with this present build while still not being a farmer entirely.

Eh... what about Oberon, Nyx or Valkyr?  Those are basically two power frames as well.

Nyx has 3 useful abilities and Valkyr has 4...?

Oberon's 1 is dependant on being in a cramped space, sure, but Soulpunch only hits one person no matter what, flung bodies aren't damaging enough to count. 2 can at least be used on Infested, and any other map that has a door you can cover. 3 heals, if not very quickly, 4 deals damage, stuns, and creates healing orbs. Not great, but his abilities aren't useless.

Nyx may only ever use Chaos and Absorb, but Mind Control is far from useless. It keeps the target off of you, and gives enemies a distraction to shoot.

Valkyr's Ripline is good for traversing vertical and open-air distance, made better now that the infinite wallclimb exploit has been removed.

Part of why I don't consider those three to be as big a flop as Nekros is, is because of Nekros' OVERWHELMING use of Desecrate. Even if his other abilities do have a time and place, like other less useful abilities, the simple fact is that you won't be using any of them, because you're just going to be pressing 3 forever. Nekros was designed with a single use, intentionally or not, and that's why he's the bottom of the barrel, even as far as the less useful frames go.

how to play nekross? use all his ability duhh...using only 2 of his power is so un nekross like...

the key to a good nekross is reduction to his power duration + reduction to his casting time...and that is it :/

why nekross need soul punch? to show those heavy/ancient unit whos the boss

why nekross need terrify? well he is nekross, he is fear!

-Snip-

Although this build focuses on the use of 4, you're wasting too much mod slots that can easily be covered by killing something. This build also focus on having teammates around and as we all know, the moment you have a teammate around, Nekros WILL instantly turn into a desecrate bot no matter what you do. Summon shadow, shooting stuffs? Sadly, your friend already did all that. By the time you get to summon the army, you're just blocking your friend bullet field.

If you want to play Nekros and really use all his skills and feel like you're really doing something, you're stuck soloing. His kit makes him a crazy survival monster.

Aura - Corrosive Projection - Maxed (You need it or you can't deal damage after awhile if you don't corrosive proc everything)

Ability - Terrify, Desecrate, SotD - Maxed (Soul punch is absolute crap outside PvP. Don't bother with people telling you to be creative. Their world is too beautiful)

Redirection - Maxed (Squishy. You need it)

Vitality - Maxed (Squishy. You need it)

Equilibrium - Maxed (You can summon health orb. Why not?)

Fleeting Expertise - Maxed (Explained below)

Enemy Sense - Maxed (Explained below)

Natural Talent - Maxed (Horrible cast time. You need this)

Rage - Maxed (You can switch this out if needed. I just place it there in case I really run out of energy, which almost never happen but it helps at high level stage when you somehow run out of energy, has no health orb and you're getting shot with no energy. This will give you the energy needed to press 2 to run followed by 3 for some health orb)

Why -60% Duration build? Because the less duration you have, the more Terrify you can use. Also, SotD corpses can be desecrated for health orb, when combined with Equilibrium, is just saying "infinite energy" so you don't need 75% efficiency..

You don't need range. You're fighting. You're always in range for the desecrate. Also, more range = unreliable terrify. More power = You use up your shadow pool too fast. You don't need more than 3 - 4 meat shield to snipe all the important target so you can summon them again from the cover, jump in to terrify and room clear.

Enemy sense is what you need to be prepared for what ever is behind the door. It also eliminates that "I wonder if there's only one or two gunner behind the cover" uncertainty.

My favourite weapon is a Vectis and Brakk. Brakk for killing everything and VEctis is for headshot sniping the VIP for SotD. For more heal, grab life strike on maybe Dekra prime with Crimson Dervish or high damage one-hit like Dragon Nikana.

Ever since the new update, shadows of the dead lag my game quite a lot. I may consider building up terrify for emergencies, once I level up my nekros. Even though I mainly desecrate, having a crowd control ability is nice.

And stop shaming the use of desecration. I play desecrating Nek3ros 3all the ti3me and i'm pe3rfecl3tly3 f3in3e.