Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Actually Play Nekros O_O

Semshol

Question

Okay everyone,

Literally EVERYDAY, I see some topic about how Nekros  is underpowered and shouldn't be a chinese gold-farmer, should be more of a necromancer, 'gib buff plz'. Okay, NO, enough. I will show you all how to play a very FUN Nekros. He raises the dead, gets more loot, gets in all the clubs, and has a 12 inch rifle. I BEG you all to at least TRY this freakin' build before asking for Nekros rework. Try it first, follow it to the letter and THEN tell me you aren't having fun.

Now without further adieu, here is build:

Aura - Energy Siphon (don't go Corrosive unless you are VERY good at managing energy, I am not that person.)

Mods:

- Redirection (max)

- Vitality (max)

- Desecrate (max)

- Shadows of the Dead (a.k.a. Edo Tensei, max)

-  Streamline (max)

- Fleeting Expertise (ranked to -40% duration, thereby giving a total of 70% power efficiency)

- Continuity (max)

- Intensify (max)

- Natural Talent (max)

- Equilibrium/Rage (I prefer Equilibrium ranked to 7)

This particular build allows you to spam Desecrate and your Edo Tensei will get you out of trouble fast with maxed Natural Talent. (-50% cast speed, your shadows start to work damn near instantly)

How to actually play this build:

Kill stuff with your weapon, choose something that is strong. I tend to prefer heavy hitting weapons with this build, so I often go either Dread or Latron Prime. More recently, it's Latron.

Now, this build DOES NOT focus on range. Why? Because you should not be running after your Saryn or whoever is spamming their ult, just to desecrate corpses. You can follow along, but if you've got a good weapon, TAKE THE KILLS FOR YOURSELF. Why? Damage based ults don't scale. Players who use them are annoying as F*** in the early stages of the game, but they'll be crying once their ult. doesn't clear rooms, especially if they don't have a good weapon. That is where you must SHINE. Your shadows SCALE, whatever the enemy level is that you killed it at, it pops back out at that level. Use that to your advantage.

If enemy horde coming at you, TAKE COVER, you'd be surprised how many Warframe players think they are Space Marines and don't know how to use cover. Summon yours Shadows, Shadows take aggro and you'll have about 9 to support you. Use the time to recover shields, it should only take 8 - 10 seconds. If enemy has an AoE mob (bombards or napalms), kill that one first (i.e. the Bombard or Napalm or whatever). Let your shadows take aggro first. During last 10 seconds of Edo Tensei, kill enemies and desecrate. All orbs will heal both energy and health allowing you to feed off that immensely.

The synergy between energy and health is important to Nekros. Why? You will be popping out a lot of orbs of both kinds. This allows you to make more mistakes than other frames. Take a few hits, it won't matter at all. But what will matter is whether or not you are effectively assisting your team. Your job is to raise those shadows for support and to ensure as many corpses pop out additional loot as possible.

You are NOT there to be the DPS king (though if you have a good weapon, you already will be). You are NOT there to be the tank. You are NOT there to be the loot farmer.

PLAY the game, instead of spamming 3, getting bored and then whining about Nekros needing a buff.

Sundry Explanations:

- Why no terrify???? WHYYYYYYY? - You don't need it, your team will handle the CC, even in random groups. Worse comes to worse, you're wasting energy with Terrify. Use your Edo Tensei and make use of cover...don't just stand in the open. Also terrified enemies run, it gets a bit tougher to aim with certain weapons, just my feeling. If you REALLY want terrify, get a Raksa Kubrow with Howl, pseudo terrify and it won't affect your energy levels.

Why no Soulpunch???? WHYYYYY? - There is no situation that requires it. Seriously.

Why no maxed Range??? WHYYYY? - After much testing I found that you don't need to Overextend your desecrate just to hit every corpse. You are a looter, but that is not your primary function unless you are playing as 'the Looter' in clan and everyone will protect you like crazy. This doesn't happen so I chose a more functional play-style

Bonus Mode - Sacri Nekros:

This was a build named after the Sacri Paladin from Ragnarok (it was so long ago I can't remember), how it works is simple. Replace redirection with Rage. This allows you to have endless energy but I don't like this build because it doesn't give me a shield-buffer that I feel Nekros needs.

-----

So everyone, before you talk about reworking Nekros, TRY using a proper build. Just TRY. I am not asking you to like it, if you really try this build and tell me that it isn't an exhilarating thrill to be able to run, shoot and cast all at the same time. I will let you type your rework post.

Oh yeah and in case you didn't know, Nekros can cast while sliding and jumping (Desecrate). So yeah don't stand still and desecrate. MOVE and desecrate. Run and shoot, shoot and run. Also you can use your Shadows (Edo Tensei) while sliding, use that to slide behind cover while casting, get up and kill everything immediately after.

Hmm... I wouldn't use that build. To me personally Nekros has only 1 useful purpose: farmin' all the things.

My build is:

Desecrate - Max Rank

Overextend - Max Rank

Stretch - Max Rank

Fleeting Expertise - Max Rank

Streamline - Max Rank

Flow - Max Rank

Natural talent - Max Rank

And just desecrate all the things.

Hmm... I wouldn't use that build. To me personally Nekros has only 1 useful purpose: farmin' all the things.

My build is:

Desecrate - Max Rank

Overextend - Max Rank

Stretch - Max Rank

Streamline - Max Rank

Flow - Max Rank

Warframe wikileaks o.0

aware of all this already though

Edited by Shreiko

Oh yeah and in case you didn't know, Nekros can cast while sliding and jumping (Desecrate). So yeah don't stand still and desecrate. MOVE and desecrate. Run and shoot, shoot and run. Also you can use your Shadows (Edo Tensei) while sliding, use that to slide behind cover while casting, get up and kill everything immediately after.

That must be nerfed ! >:D

My build is:

Desecrate - Max Rank

Overextend - Max Rank

Stretch - Max Rank

Streamline - Max Rank

Flow - Max Rank

This man speaks the truth. Playing nekros properly involves having your finger on 3 constantly.

That's not a bad build. You've got a mistake with Fleeting Expertise though, it's +60% Efficiency -60% Duration at max level (rank 6)  Nevermind that, didn't realize you summed with Streamline.

Edited by Esleyer

My build is:

Desecrate - Max Rank

Overextend - Max Rank

Stretch - Max Rank

Streamline - Max Rank

Flow - Max Rank

Add QT to the build and it looks like mine^^ (sometimes instead of Flow, I use Rage - if we go for longer runs).

I had never thought to put redirection on nekros! What a mind blowing change this has made! Definitely OP now and not at all in need of a buff!

I was thinking maybe I shouldnt mock your opinion since apparently nekros works well for you on high level content without being any sort of drag to your team, and the rest of us are obviously just idiots that have no idea how to mod a 2 power frame but then I realized I wanted to be sarcastic as all get out about this post, and that I was speaking to myself in my own head sarcastically rather than letting it go here... And that's just unhealthy you know?

I enjoy using most if not all powers on all Warframes. For Nekros, I usually run...

Terrify

Shadows of the Dead

Desecrate

Stretch

Streamline

Continuity

Equilibrium

Redirection

Corrosive Projection/Energy Siphon

I do have a build just for desecrate though. ;D

When farming for stuff on low levels, Terrify helps the noobs out a bunch.

Meh.  Soul Punch is too expensive for what it does, Terrify annoys your team, and Desecrate/Shadows are mutually exclusive since you need max range for one and max strength+duration for the other. Nekros should stick to what he does better than any other frame, and that is loot farming. Want to make this not true? Then overhaul him.

I don't think you understand people's boredom with Nekros. People are bored of using Desecrate. It's Nekros' only real saving grace, and it's a purposefully intended farm exploit. Shadows of the Dead aren't interactive or strategic enough to be considered 'fun', and aren't powerful enough to give you a power rush like the simpler, yet stronger 4-powers. You even say yourself, don't bother using Soulpunch and Terrify. That means that half of what Nekros can do is completely useless. No other frame has only two worthwhile powers.

This is "How To Actually Play Nekros" if you're okay with being mediocre at best. 

You don't need Redirection AND Vitality. Nothing does enough damage early game to warrant both, and everything does too much damage late game for it to make any difference. Terrify is much more useful than you make it out to be. It provides a Chaos that will be usable up to everything but post 35 min T4 survival, something your build can't handle anyway. Intensify is a waste of a slot because you shouldn't care about Shadows of the Dead. Nekros is "3: The Frame." Like other frames, you should be focusing on the ability you are going to use most, and mod for it. So swap range for for power. You're also missing the 75% efficiency cap for no reason, so take both Fleeting Expertise and Steamline to one from the top. The only frame that can pull of Rage is Valkyr so don't even bother with that. Equilibrium is ok but I would not recommend it.

tl;dr your frame isn't FUN so much as it is needlessly gimping yourself

Nekros's only use is spamming desecrate. Terrify is a bad radial blind (and it can't be recast while active), Shadows of the Dead is a bad Chaos, Soul Punch is a bad Slash Dash that you can at least use at range, but that benefit is offset by the fact it likes to send bodies flying in seemingly random directions instead of a straight line. Pretty much every other frame has more useful powers in any given situation, except for Desecrate for farming. And his HP and shield aren't anything special either.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Nekros is the most OP Warframe in the game. He's the only one who can defeat RNGesus.

Edited by Tehnoobshow

This is "How To Actually Play Nekros" if you're okay with being mediocre at best. 

You don't need Redirection AND Vitality. Nothing does enough damage early game to warrant both, and everything does too much damage late game for it to make any difference. Terrify is much more useful than you make it out to be. It provides a Chaos that will be usable up to everything but post 35 min T4 survival, something your build can't handle anyway. Intensify is a waste of a slot because you shouldn't care about Shadows of the Dead. Nekros is "3: The Frame." Like other frames, you should be focusing on the ability you are going to use most, and mod for it. So swap range for for power. You're also missing the 75% efficiency cap for no reason, so take both Fleeting Expertise and Steamline to one from the top. The only frame that can pull of Rage is Valkyr so don't even bother with that. Equilibrium is ok but I would not recommend it.

tl;dr your frame isn't FUN so much as it is needlessly gimping yourself

Players are welcome to take out whatever fits there build. Most of the time though I like having a shield buffer, if that is not your preference, replace it with terrify. But usually between Chaos and Radial Disarm, my Terrifies are redundant so I put on a little extra shields just in case.

Shadows are more useful than a lot of people give them credit for, seriously, I don't know why people don't use them when they freakin' pull aggro. I have used them with little to no difficulty and I find their support to be very useful. Especially when you've got team-mates throwing Chaos and Radial Disarm (which if you are not seeing in higher end missions, it means someone is usually doing something wrong).

If you want to focus on Desecrate, there are builds just for that, but I usually find the additional range a waste and with Natural Talent I can desecrate just fine.

Lastly, 75% cap is not a necessity. If less than 5 energy makes a difference, you won't last in higher tier missions. Teams bringing along corrosive and rifle amp, with team energy restores will be more than fine. I run ALL my builds with 70% efficiency rather than 75% and they all tend to outperform those gunning for the hard 75% because you sacrifice in one way or another. However, most people do have troubles with energy so I throw on Energy Siphon rather than Corrosive for this build. People will usually find more utility and switch once they hit higher tier.

My build is:

Desecrate - Max Rank

Overextend - Max Rank

Stretch - Max Rank

Streamline - Max Rank

Flow - Max Rank

Yup, front flip and wall run then back to desecrating everything. I might take Overextend. off and swap it for Shadows of the Dead, more power rangers= distracted enemies increasing my chances to survive.

Shadows are more useful than a lot of people give them credit for, seriously, I don't know why people don't use them when they freakin' pull aggro. I have used them with little to no difficulty and I find their support to be very useful. Especially when you've got team-mates throwing Chaos and Radial Disarm (which if you are not seeing in higher end missions, it means someone is usually doing something wrong).

Shadows are all types of derpy and are more likely to dronejam you or run away than actually draw aggro. 9/10 people I see using SoTD are trolling, and the other 1 guy just isn't being useful.