Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ice, Snow, Desert, Wasteland, Earth And Plains Version For Every Map?

So I orriginaly posted this in maps and levels. But after thinking about it a bit: It probably fits better here. 

Anyways. So the basic idea:

The Ceres shipyard tileset would look absolutely fantastic if You replaced the rain with snow, The water with ice, the sand with snow. and maybe replaced some of the black rock with ice. The Ceres shipyard could realy just be a factory,  resource harvesting base or even just an oupost on any other planet. 

Similarly, If you got to the corpus snow outpost and replaced the snowey ground with red dirt and sand. Made the rocks red and got rid of the icicles.. Yeah that'd also look fantastic. The corpus outpost is on many planets, but it doesn't fit with them all. If the textures were changed appropriately, it could fir with them all. 

The corpus gas tileset within a different planets gas, or even standing over a raging or frozen sea? Hnnnngg... 

The gas tileset structure is pretty much a futuristic oil rig. Why not have it over other exploitable areas? 

Grineer mine within different types of rock and ice... Oh that's good. 

Then you've still got other combinations. Ceres shipyard could also be a natural resource harvesting site on earth. Corpus outpost would also work well with plains or as a place overlooking but not inside the jungle. 

1: this'd be realy, realy easy to do. From my experience of Moding, I can tell you this is very simple. Replacing a skybox and textures is basic skills. 

2: It'd make a huge amount of variety for the game in a very short amount of time. I'm not saying we should just abandon the idea of having new tilesets, but new tilesets come every couple of months. This could happen within a few days, and could also happen to new tilesets too. 

3: there were some quests on earth that took place on different tilesets. It was strange. This could fix that. 

4: it'd look excellent. It could also allow for better invasions (in which the invading faction eventualy builds their own buildings rather than stay in the place of the enemy. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

Guest Tehnoobshow

It's not just textures. The Phobos tileset looks vastly different from the Corpus Outpost tileset and the buildings would all have to be remade in order to fit the locations.

Uh....why? Why would you make a rain-based tileset replaced with Snow and Ice? The chemicals blasted out from Grineer factories would cause the rain, if anything it could probably deal damage because it'd be likely to be highly acidic. 

Replacing a Snow outpost with Sand, logic doesn't flow here? A cold climate like theirs normally are wouldn't have dirt and sand..

Corpus gas tileset is on Jupiter, which looks correct and amazing - it's on a huge gas-based planet.

- Different type of factory in a different location? 

- First off, cold climates have dirt and sand. Actual relevant response:  We;re assuming that this outpost is on other planets, with other climates. Which it is. The outpost is on many planets. 

- Corpus gas tileset would probably fit saturn more (the surface of jupiter is brutal, even above the gas. The surface of saturn is comparable to earth ) But anyway- The gas tileset is pretty much a futuristic oil rig that takes up gas. Why not put it on other places with resources to exploit?  

It's not just textures. The Phobos tileset looks vastly different from the Corpus Outpost tileset and the buildings would all have to be remade in order to fit the locations.

Mars (phobos is a rock) Is realy, realy big. Not as big as earth, but big enough to have continents. 

Also, I've kinda avoided bringing up the arid tileset because a terrain features wouldn't work well with other textures (mostly the houses made of mars concrete) 

While I do love visual variety, it would take a lot more than a few texture switches and palette changes to make most of the tilesets work right on other planets.

Earth, though. Earth was kind of disappointing, truth be told. It has a lot more than just jungles to explore, and the Phobos tileset would work wonderfully for arid locations in North and South America (as an example) if it were just a little bit less bright. A Grineer version of the Corpus Ice Base would meld beautifully with the desert and jungle maps, especially where Everest is concerned (Everest is a mountain, after all). Hell, there could even be temperate European/North American forests to explore. Much smaller trees, slightly less "untamed".

While I do love visual variety, it would take a lot more than a few texture switches and palette changes to make most of the tilesets work right on other planets.

Earth, though. Earth was kind of disappointing, truth be told. It has a lot more than just jungles to explore, and the Phobos tileset would work wonderfully for arid locations in North and South America (as an example) if it were just a little bit less bright. A Grineer version of the Corpus Ice Base would meld beautifully with the desert and jungle maps, especially where Everest is concerned (Everest is a mountain, after all). Hell, there could even be temperate European/North American forests to explore. Much smaller trees, slightly less "untamed".

This. Considering earth is supposedly the center of the grineer empire, I was very disappointed when it was all jungle and ruins.

Also, you could easily reuse resources from other tilesets to repurpose existing ones. You'd need to change more than just the textures but it would work.

This. Considering earth is supposedly the center of the grineer empire, I was very disappointed when it was all jungle and ruins.

Also, you could easily reuse resources from other tilesets to repurpose existing ones. You'd need to change more than just the textures but it would work.

Wasn't the Cicero event all about how the Grineer were basically fenced in by the jungles and the toxin was supposed to clear out all of the Orokin superweeds? And of course one could always make the argument that the Grineer industrial efforts escalated global warming and melted the poles and the weeds just grew over it all.

Wasn't the Cicero event all about how the Grineer were basically fenced in by the jungles and the toxin was supposed to clear out all of the Orokin superweeds? And of course one could always make the argument that the Grineer industrial efforts escalated global warming and melted the poles and the weeds just grew over it all.

If it's their homeworld then surely there are some areas that aren't ruins, right?

If it's their homeworld then surely there are some areas that aren't ruins, right?

From how it sounded it seems like they're restricted to either an extremely large city or a series of connected cities scattered across the planet.