Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Multiplayer Stability Post U14

xethier

The stability of the game in regards to playing with other people has reached a point where I'm considering abandoning this game until the next major update. (and possibly altogether)

I'm one of those edge-case, borderline players who's connection is... let's say pathetic. (i think that's being a bit too nice, but I'll try to keep from violating the profanity rules) Since u14 my ability to play with other players has reached a point where my game-time on warframe has been rapidly diminishing to maybe 1-3 missions per day. Successful missions that is.

Tonight, I was able to finish one mission out of 4 attempts. I'm either met with a wedged loading screen not transitioning into the match until I'm tired of waiting and alt-f4 out of the game. Host migration followed by "returning you to the multiplayer menu" complete with loss of all the items acquired. Or a "please wait" while trying to connect to a group.

To give you some background on my network / pc so that you'll understand my situation. 

pc: i7 950. 16gb of ram. gtx 470. and a 240gb SSD. (along with a 150gb 10k rpm velociraptor)

local network: gig-e local to an atom based ip-fire distro router. w/ 1gb of ram. 

external network: 5mbps / 768k DSL over 80+ year old copper. with no way to improve it short of paying an extortion fee to my isp for them to run cable a whopping 1600 feet on poles that already exist. (they want $6000)

I've done everything I can do. The performance of this game pre-u14 wasn't great, but it wasn't rage-inducing either.

My ping times are in the ~30 millisecond range but i'm incapable of hosting more than one other player without causing problems for them. So I avoid hosting as often as possible. With the new flaky connectivity I'm seeing lately... it's becoming very frustrating for me to continue to play this with other folks.

It's not my connection as I monitor performance quite closely via the tools available on my router as well as a few others I've baked in. 

I'm understanding of DDOS attacks and the default port changes made recently, and these problems I'm seeing may be related to those issues.. but I'm reaching my breaking point with patience to continue to bash my head against a wall and waste hours of play by getting kicked out of matches every 10-15 minutes.

I've advocated many, many times that networking performance and stability be improved in warframe. I'm not asking for bulletproof but it feels like tissue paper. Someone sneezes along the route and the connection is lost. Please, PLEASE try to improve the stability of these issues. If I can do anything to help... (router logs, game logs, traceroutes, whatever) I'd be absolutely ecstatic to help.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/284747-new-network-ports/

Or you do like me, once something is broken,you talk about it in a feedback(like what you just did) and you wait till it's fixed...

trust me, i was very happy to see this. and as a person who makes his living off building routers (like the one i use) I'm well aware of the issues. I also make sure everything is locked down solid locally. I also have 0 trouble playing on my local network with properly forwarded ports for the systems here (there are 3 of them, me, my wife and my son all play). These issues also aren't totally related to the current hot-fix. I've seen far more lost / hung connections since u14. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that this is related to the larger performance requirements for the game in general since u14 was released. Overall, I'm very happy with DE's efforts, but more definitely needs to be done with the netcode specifically.

Edited by xethier

trust me, i was very happy to see this. and as a person who makes his living off building routers (like the one i use) I'm well aware of the issues. I also make sure everything is locked down solid locally. I also have 0 trouble playing on my local network with properly forwarded ports for the systems here (there are 3 of them, me, my wife and my son all play). These issues also aren't totally related to the current hot-fix. I've seen far more lost / hung connections since u14. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that this is related to the larger performance requirements for the game in general since u14 was released. Overall, I'm very happy with DE's efforts, but more definitely needs to be done with the netcode specifically.

I feel you, even if I use a potato laptop,in one year of beta testing I'm experiencing hiccups and lag during my solo missions, some time after U14.

I put everything on low, but nope,still get these little cuts ingame... :/ I however, will stay patient, I'm probably not the only one, and I hope they'll do a lot of performance tweaks & show some new stuff once they finish addressing the main bugs this update brought to us,for they are many...

(I guess stealth 2.0 and the community enemies & weapon can wait...?)

I feel you, even if I use a potato laptop,in one year of beta testing I'm experiencing hiccups and lag during my solo missions, some time after U14.

I put everything on low, but nope,still get these little cuts ingame... :/ I however, will stay patient, I'm probably not the only one, and I hope they'll do a lot of performance tweaks & show some new stuff once they finish addressing the main bugs this update brought to us,for they are many...

(I guess stealth 2.0 and the community enemies & weapon can wait...?)

don't misunderstand me, i'm as happy with new content as the next guy. (as a mr16 player probably more so) but as many issues with netcode as have been seen, i'd be perfectly fine with absolutely no new content for a month (or more) if it meant a radical improvement in stability. 

that said, it's also unrealistic as putting a modeler on the task of improving netcode isn't going to help.... :P

overall, i love the game,  i'm just frustrated that currently 85% or more of my games end in failure or never start due to network stability. (unless i just stick to solo or playing with my family)