Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag Loki Or Excalibur

BerzyTheBarbarian

Question

Hello fellow Tenno and thank you for reading I have already started a character and I chose Mag but after watching the stream and seeing that there will be a reset, I was wondering if I should reset and start over with a different warframe. I am on a budget and so cant buy everything so could you give your suggestion on which warframe to pick if i do start over.

Thanks for the input Berzy

11 answers to this question

First off, the reset is entirely optional; you have to request it (when it becomes available), and it is undoable.

Secondly, the other warframes can be acquired without having to spend any real world money.  It takes longer, but it is doable.  Check the wiki (http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki) for the blueprints for the frame you want, and where you can find the components to build it.  If you do decide to start over, I suggest trying Excalibur -- he's the most well balanced in terms of offense and defense, and his abilities scale very well.

First off, the reset is entirely optional; you have to request it (when it becomes available), and it is undoable.

They made it very clear in the last livestream that if you do choose to reset, it is NOT undoable.  It is permanent, so make very sure that you want to before you do it.

While Excal is among the hardest of frames to unlock without plat, I found it among the most basic of frames to play. It is a solid introduction to the game, with good survivability and damage, but lacks tools for group synchronization and tacts.

In other words, I found him boring. Just DPSDPSDPS and no way to help teammates at all. Hes got a tiny radius stun, that about it defensively.

Mag has a pull, works offensively and defensively by pulling enemies or teammates. Mag has Bullet attractor, works offensively by increasing dps to major targets and offensively by preventing them from shooting during its effect. Mag has the ability to steal shields from an enemy, or give them to an ally. Mag's ultimate damage dealer is also an AoE stun/suspend, which can be used defensively while a teammate revives, hacks a panel, or escapes.

Loki has Decoy, which can be used to attract targets, draw fire from allies and yourself, or move enemies into melee range. He has the ability to go invisible, increasing dps or providing an escape, and can be used before hacking or reviving. He can move allies and enemies alike with switch teleport as well as gaining mobility, and his ulti, while weaker in many respects than others, is very effective at reducing incoming ranged damage.

My point being Excal is basically a solo warframe, and when in a group you dont really get any new tactics. Loki or Mag are both powerful team players, and you'll be able to play them longer without getting bored, and be able to revisit them and think 'hey, this is really different than the last guy I played', rather than 'wow this dps ability is cool. What else can I do? Oh, jump high.'

They made it very clear in the last livestream that if you do choose to reset, it is NOT undoable.  It is permanent, so make very sure that you want to before you do it.

You're 100% right.  I meant to include "not" in there, but I missed it.  My mistake.

Personally as someone who just finished capping Mag, and not being at all fond of her, I still wouldn't really recommend a reset. I think that the reset to a degree is for the paid players (I believe it resets plat as well?), since for the rest of us it's possible to simply acquire either of the other frames later.

That said, while Crush is a delightful, fun ability, it's also a simple one that you require specific circumstances to be worth using (large number of enemies, small area). Pull is interesting, but generally something that's not worth the cost (the situations I found myself using pull in at first, I realized later I could simply deal with normally and save the mana for Crush). Shield Polarize is pointless, at any given point the impact is comparatively small, you'd be better off doing something else. Bullet Attractor is actually a skill with negative use due to headshots, let me repeat that. Despite the mana cost, you're going to be losing DPS to Bullet Attractor unless you're missing a substantial amount.

I haven't played Mag yet, but have Excalibur and Loki on 30.

I liked both equally.

Excalibur: Very agressive Frame. Slash Dash and Radial Blind are both very good. Radial Javelin is "okay", it deals good damage around you. I used Superjump maybe 5 times. You cant use it while in the Air and on the ground i rather use Slashdash.

I LOVE Slash Dash. It does so much damage and has a big range. Awesome skill!

Loki: has Decoy and Invisibility. Forget about the other 2 Abilities, they aren't worth the energy imho. Decoy is great for distracting enemies so you can kill them safely and invisibility is nice for kiling stuff in melee(100% critchance). Loki(and Ash) is the fastest Frame. it has the best Sprintspeed/Jumprange and you can really be a agile Ninja with him.

As for suvivability: Funny enough even tho Loki has only 75 Base Shield/Vitality for me he was the "tankier" Frame due to invisibility. Not saying Excalibur is squishy but he lacks a "invulnerability" Button. You can use SlashDash to get away from a group but with Loki you can go invis and slice them all in half with melee.