The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Too High Gpu Load

OldSnakeMGS4

I did notice that the game is having issues with the GPU load in the last few weeks. When I am logging in I was getting around 10% per core, then it did raise to 16%, which was not too bad but I did notice it.

Now I started the game today and it went even higher, most of the time it was around 30% per core and sometimes core 1 is going up as high as 70%.

I did test several other games and the load was normal there, Crysis 3 was at the normal 50-60% per core on very high settings, CoD Ghosts was also running at the standard 30-40% per core and Dark Souls 2 was also where it should be.

Now my question - what did cause this in Warframe, I did not change anything with my drivers, hardware, etc, I just do notice this high load for no real reason.

System specs:

i7 4790k

Titan Black SLI

16GB RAM

OS Win 8.1

Did anybody else encounter these GPU load issues ?

Edited by OldSnakeMGS4

Only in the ship today, the last test, where the load was minimally higher were also done in missions and there the slight increase was also noticable.

To be honest, I did not go into a mission with the 70% load today, I should test this tomorrow I guess.

So far the high load today was only tested in the login screen and the ship itself.

I noticed something similar a couple of hotfixes ago (not sure which), all was good until I left the room for a short while. I came back to the PC, you could say literally "screaming" at me. The GPU usage was at 99%, temps were up to 75 - 78c (Celsius) and manual fan speed had been overridden to near maximum. After a reboot and full unplug, I started warframe back up and it was using dramatically higher GPU usage than before I "left the room", ranging from high 60-70's to 90's. I tried a bunch of things, driver settings tweaks, etc and at one point thought my card may have been cooked.

It wasn't until I turned on Vsync IN warframe that the GPU usage dropped back down to normal, before the "event" with vsync off in warframe from memory I think it would average about 159ish fps on the display bottom left corner. After the "event" with vsync on, the fps does the constant 5x-60 flicker.

So if you don't already have Vsync on IN warframe, try that.

Nope, I am talking about my GPU, the graphics cards, because that is what makes me wonder - the game should not be having GPU load in these dimensions.

GPU's have thousands of cores. Which is why they manage with MHz as their clock frequency. 

Most (if not all) software will read of the GPU core load as a whole, displaying all cores as one readout (like Windows default Task Manager does for CPU). Do you have a screen capture of the graphs/figures you're referring to?

AMD are the only company to refer to their GPU core clusters as 'Compute Units'. But even then, it is still thousands of cores.

As for the issue, as was said above, Warframe is due an optimization pass. 

I'd suspect you're referring to the CPU though, and this is something of an issue. In your liset (last time i checked) your CPU will use 2 cores primarily. So you'll see high usage while you're on your ship.

During gameplay, your CPU should use 6+ cores if you have them, though seems to mostly run on 4 atm.

Yeah I noticed this after u14. Before my laptop(i5-4200u, nvidia 750m) was somewhat quiet with moderate noise when playing intensive rooms.

Now the fans are blasting at full speed when in the ship, browsing the inventory/foundary etc. But during the actual gameplay it gets back to normal again. 

GPU's have thousands of cores. Which is why they manage with MHz as their clock frequency. 

Most (if not all) software will read of the GPU core load as a whole, displaying all cores as one readout (like Windows default Task Manager does for CPU). Do you have a screen capture of the graphs/figures you're referring to?

When talking about "cores" here I am referring to GPU1 asnd GPU2 - each "core" each graphics card does have.

So I am saying that core 1 = GPU1 and core 2 = GPU2 do have these loads in the opening post.

Today I did play 2 missions to check if the load is also that high when not being in the ship and the gpu load is jumping around wildly - sometimes I got the desired 15-20% per GPU, sometimes one is jumping to 50% and going back down then, and so on.

The last updates seem to have done something to either SLI functionality or to GPU load in general, no other game I do play does "feature" this issue.

When talking about "cores" here I am referring to GPU1 asnd GPU2 - each "core" each graphics card does have.

So I am saying that core 1 = GPU1 and core 2 = GPU2 do have these loads in the opening post.

Today I did play 2 missions to check if the load is also that high when not being in the ship and the gpu load is jumping around wildly - sometimes I got the desired 15-20% per GPU, sometimes one is jumping to 50% and going back down then, and so on.

The last updates seem to have done something to either SLI functionality or to GPU load in general, no other game I do play does "feature" this issue.

Oh i see, i missed the "SLI" attached to the "Titan Black"...In truth, i didn't think there was any point reading past 'Titan'......That card alone is overkill for Warframe 100x times over!

You're probably going to have to ask Nvidia about that then. They need to fix their drivers for better Warframe support.

Either update to the latest profiles, or download 'Nvidia Inspector' and have a go trying to find a profile that works (Wouldn't recommend the latter tbh).

Edited by MillbrookWest

Honestly I really do think that the drivers might indeed be the issue - the latest ones were all but phenomenal.

The important thing is that I am not having any performance issues in the game BUT these cards should not be used too much by the game - my old GTX590 had 35% per GPU back then, so I guess the new cards should have less load here in comparison and not numbers around 70% ...