Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Feel Like A Complete Idiot!

(PSN)LeviathanTM

I have been playing this game for a while now and NEVER ever ever ever ever thought it had anything to do with the Dark Sector game for PS3/XBOX and PC. I always wanted to play that game but completely forgot about it and never put 2 and 2 together! #facepalm 

Edited by (PS4)LeviathanTM

I have been playing this game for a while now and NEVER ever ever ever ever thought it had anything to do with the Dark Sector game for PS3/XBOX and PC. I always wanted to lay that game but completely forgot about it and never put 2 and 2 together! #facepalm 

Lol. That's all I have to say.

You're not really missing much. A lot of waframe fans have a far higher opinion of dark sector than it deserves. The game suffered from being shoehorned into a genre it didn't belong in and although DE did a better job than most would making it work, the game still reeks of wasted potential.

You're not really missing much. A lot of waframe fans have a far higher opinion of dark sector than it deserves. The game suffered from being shoehorned into a genre it didn't belong in and although DE did a better job than most would making it work, the game still reeks of wasted potential.

Agreed. The original concept looked way better (and it more closely resembles Warframe).

What do you mean, you've piqued my curiosity. 

I personally felt that Dark Sector was rushed. Playing through it felt pretty repetitive.

What do you mean, you've piqued my curiosity. 

Dark Sector's original pitch was almost identical to the warframe you're playing now, albeit far less impressive because it was last gen. DE were forced to turn it into a war shooter by morons desperate to homogenise gaming so every game plays the same as call of duty and DE tried desperately to retain as much of the original sci fi elements of their original inspiration as they could. Because of this the game had a massive identity crisis and wound up becoming a bit of a jack of all trades and a master of none. It's an extremely forgettable experience yet a lot of warframe players treat it like a fantastic piece of work because of its ties to warframe.

Dark Sector's original pitch was almost identical to the warframe you're playing now, albeit far less impressive because it was last gen. DE were forced to turn it into a war shooter by morons desperate to homogenise gaming so every game plays the same as call of duty and DE tried desperately to retain as much of the original sci fi elements of their original inspiration as they could. Because of this the game had a massive identity crisis and wound up becoming a bit of a jack of all trades and a master of none. It's an extremely forgettable experience yet a lot of warframe players treat it like a fantastic piece of work because of its ties to warframe.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing! I wonder if DE were able to...purge those responsible for homogenizing it. I understand peoples tendency to like a game because of it's ties to a previous game so I can't knock them for that. I would like to play it at some point eventually, I wish it would include some background as to who The Guardians are and what Stalker saw when he became enraged.   

This is interesting, thanks for sharing! I wonder if DE were able to...purge those responsible for homogenizing it. I understand peoples tendency to like a game because of it's ties to a previous game so I can't knock them for that. I would like to play it at some point eventually, I wish it would include some background as to who The Guardians are and what Stalker saw when he became enraged.   

I played the game, though repetitive, I thoroughly enjoyed it. They did what they could with it, and they didn't do a half bad job.

I bought it on release and actually think it is one of the most underrated games of it's time. It is a great action game with some interesting mechanics. Controlling Hayden's powers is a blast and nothing is more fun than severing limbs with the glaive. If you look at a highly praised game like the Batman Arkham series. Dark Sector already had you controlling the Glaive's flight, bouncing off elementals to gain electricity, fire and such quite a bit before the batarang moves of those games.

Graphically it also looks very good (for 2008). It plays and handles similar to Resident Evil 4 and also shares abit of the dark tone and feel of that game. In addition it is quite a gory game. You can also move and shoot at the same time unlike Res 4.It is also a game that does not feel the need to hold your hand and push you in the next direction at all times. All in all it was a solid action game that stood out of the crowd at release and that maybe made it a bit too different for people to get into.

I feel that most people that damn that game started out playing Warframe and then going back expecting a Warframe prequel. That is definitely not the way to go. Even though it ended up being the casting stone for much of Warframe's lore and concepts none of that was know at it's initial release in 2008. That probably clouds a lot of players judgement of a underrated great game. Currently it stands at 72% rating for the PS3/360 version at metacritics and that is not a bad score.

I bought it on release and actually think it is one of the most underrated games of it's time. It is a great action game with some interesting mechanics. Controlling Hayden's powers is a blast and nothing is more fun than severing limbs with the glaive. If you look at a highly praised game like the Batman Arkham series. Dark Sector already had you controlling the Glaive's flight, bouncing off elementals to gain electricity, fire and such quite a bit before the batarang moves of those games.

Graphically it also looks very good (for 2008). It plays and handles similar to Resident Evil 4 and also shares abit of the dark tone and feel of that game. In addition it is quite a gory game. You can also move and shoot at the same time unlike Res 4.It is also a game that does not feel the need to hold your hand and push you in the next direction at all times. All in all it was a solid action game that stood out of the crowd at release and that maybe made it a bit too different for people to get into.

I feel that most people that damn that game started out playing Warframe and then going back expecting a Warframe prequel. That is definitely not the way to go. Even though it ended up being the casting stone for much of Warframe's lore and concepts none of that was know at it's initial release in 2008. That probably clouds a lot of players judgement of a underrated great game. Currently it stands at 72% rating for the PS3/360 version at metacritics and that is not a bad score.

I bought it on release and thought it was awful. The glaive oozed wasted potential and using it constantly made me think about how much better the game would have been if the glaive had been given more focus and a decent upgrade system. TBH I'm amazed anyone is a fan of a game like Dark Sector that was such a blatant example of a good idea ruined by being forced into a world war shooter shaped hole it clearly didn't fit in. That sort of homogenisation is one of the worst things about the gaming industry and one of the reasons I was so happy to support warframe in the first place for having its own identity. Warframe is the complete antithesis to what Dark Sector was twisted into and I adore it for that.

This and Dark Sector do not share the same story or anything, they are separate, but they have a lot of DS inspired stuff in WF, and lots of easter egg type stuff for the DS fans.

DS didn't come out the way Steve wanted, because they had to do what a publisher was telling them (since it was made on the publisher's dime). It's like being a director and having a great vision for a movie, but then their producer says "no, change it like this, because this 'sells'". So Steve started the WF project - no publisher, hence it's 'indie' status. DE has full control over it, and despite some growing pains and such, they are trying to create something they and players want. This is also why I support WF, even when I don't always agree with game changes/additions. I still love the game, and I support companies having creative control over their project, instead of having EA, Activision, etc telling creative directors what to do to maximize their profits.

.... the game still reeks of wasted potential.

it would be a great development to rework the whole game for a server-farm instead of moving everything about the network to the user/customer ...

but gaming-industry is mostly on farming money ... why should DE do different ? ))

Edited by 7ENN0

Never played Dark Sector myself, so I've no real comment on it, but I did notice in steam there is aparently now a port of the game for pc. I have thought about buying it, just to see it. Although as some have said, I think I'd have to approach it as a completely different game from WF, regardless of similarity or what not.

It came out about the same time the first Splinter cell was released,

needless to say, i uninstalled it again after about 5 mins of starting it i remember,..

(comparing it to SP was definetly not in the favor of DS back then)

Started playing WF spring of 2013, learned that DE had also made DS, and gave it another chance,

installed it again and played the first 2-3 minutes i think, 

instantly uninstalled it again, its still That bad yes..

Do yourself a favor, and NEVER buy/installe it,...

Edited by D3ST