The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Gpu Power Usage

HeisenZebra

I've got a GTX 780Ti, and i've been noticing some stuff, when I'm in the ship ( Player Ship ) my GPU use about 95% power. When I'm in an acutal mission, could be anything. My GPU only use about 25-40% power running at about 825MHz and in the ship running at 1185MHz. While on the ship I average about 250fps, on missions I get 100 dipping down to 30fps... Any ideas, or suggestions?

Full Specs:

GPU: GTX 780Ti

CPU: i7 4930k 4.4GHz

RAM: 16Gb 1333MHz

And no, there is no overheating issues, neither on the CPU or GPU.

My GPU runs up to about 75C at 95% power use in the ship at 1185MHz, and in a missions at 25-40% power usage is runs at 55C.

I'm assuming you have Nvidia Physx on? In your control panel, is it set to use the GPU instead of the CPU?

My setup had the same problem with fps drop during missions until I corrected that.  

if is the case, if this setting would affect this issue? cpu/gpu load balance

984437cd4e61445ac7a1991f74ba23f3.png

I'm assuming you have Nvidia Physx on? In your control panel, is it set to use the GPU instead of the CPU?

My setup had the same problem with fps drop during missions until I corrected that.  

I've got it set to use the 780 Ti, changing this to CPU, or Auto doesn't affect the fps what so ever for me.

In the Liset, there are no AI, no scripts, no Collision detection etc for the game engine to wait for. Essentially, your GPU is having a field day rendering at will. It doesn't have to wait for any other part of your PC before it can render the next frame.

When you are in a mission, your entire system is being used (more or less) to render your image, the GPU has to wait for the CPU to calculate the AI, call for animations etc. Your GPU is (in this instance) waiting for your system to give it something to do. Hence the lower workload, and lower clock speed - your cards default clock speed. No sense boosting when you aren't even using what you currently got.

Without a frame cap, your GPU will render as many frames as it can possibly manage. If it also has the thermal headroom, it will then boost its clock speed to render even more frames.

Go here for a possible solution:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/264104-fps-limit-option/

EDIT:

Change your PhysX settings back to running on your 780Ti. PhysX on the CPU isn't efficient.

Also, try running Warframe in Fullscreen.

You can also go into your Control panel, click on mange 3D settings, select "program settings", Find or select Warframe, and set the power management to "prefer maximum performance" over the "adaptive" default.

Edited by MillbrookWest