Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Sword And Board Useful

slumpyvanguard

Some thoughts on the Silva and Aegis.

Firstoff, I'm new to posting, though I'm not new to WF, been playing since last November. So, to introduce myself- Hi, I'm slumpyvanguard, if you care. I use Valkyr primarily and write rps/ fanfics for my character, the original Valkyr.

Anyways.

The Silva and Aegis were taken from a fan concept, which is awesome, go DE for interacting with us, but- maybe because it was released with everything else in U14 but it really kind of sucks for mid to late game. 

Low base damage (35 heat) low stats otherwise, excepting status chance, which everyone knows isn't very useful with hat damage. Hard to mod for.

But the Sword and Shield shouldn't rely on base stats for their strong points. In order to make this category of weapons useful, I think a new blocking mechanic should be implemented, because when equipped, the shield makes for a great parry tool.

So, the idea.

-When weapon not in hand (using primary or secondary), in order to block, player holds (E) and uses minimal stamina to block all incoming shots from the front, but slightly reduces sprinting speed.

-Player can still use secondary weapon while blocking, aiming from behind their shield.

Perhaps this could be part of Eleventh Storm?

Of course, this is combining several pre U13 ideas, but I thought it might be helpful for the poor Silva and Aegis because right now it is trying to use its good looks to make up for its underpar stats.

What do you think? Worthy of DE's attention? I'm eager to hear brainstorming

For an added feature it is a very neat concept. I like the idea of having a shield at the ready to block. 

I know for a fact though Silva and Aegis was voted to have reduced stamina for blocking and increased damage, so a bit of a plus is coming for this.

Thanks, glad you like the idea- I do agree that it should have at least reduced stamina to block- I mean that only makes sense- we don't have to go spinning our shield around like batons like we do with other weapons.

I do think though, that shields are generally low damage weapons, which is fine- I'm okay with low- medium stats, as long as something else makes them valuable.

Thanks, glad you like the idea- I do agree that it should have at least reduced stamina to block- I mean that only makes sense- we don't have to go spinning our shield around like batons like we do with other weapons.

I do think though, that shields are generally low damage weapons, which is fine- I'm okay with low- medium stats, as long as something else makes them valuable.

Well worry not, utility will be increased sometime later for Silva and Aegis and damage will be increased as a bonus. I like the new Hot-Topic system because the voting system helps DE make balancing decisions, and so far I've seen them implemented.

I like the idea and the logic behind it, but I'd rather wait for a more impressive sword and shield weapon to be released. Personally, I ship adding a shield to Dakra Prime. But any sword and board without fire is fine with me. Silva and Aegis looks cool, but fire just doesn't fit my main frames personally and I'd like to see more variety in this weapon category soon.

I like the idea and the logic behind it, but I'd rather wait for a more impressive sword and shield weapon to be released. Personally, I ship adding a shield to Dakra Prime. But any sword and board without fire is fine with me. Silva and Aegis looks cool, but fire just doesn't fit my main frames personally and I'd like to see more variety in this weapon category soon.

I too would like a better sword and shield released. Also, less elemental weapons, please? Makes it difficult to stick to a theme sometimes. I think if a new mechanic is implemented, though it should be tested out now, before we buy more sword and shields and don't really like them. :P

That's another idea, though, simply adding different shields to swords/ daggers. Would that become OP?

I too would like a better sword and shield released. Also, less elemental weapons, please? Makes it difficult to stick to a theme sometimes. I think if a new mechanic is implemented, though it should be tested out now, before we buy more sword and shields and don't really like them. :P

That's another idea, though, simply adding different shields to swords/ daggers. Would that become OP?

Yeah, Silva and Aegis really only looks good on my ember prime. But I was actually thinking more along the lines of another stand alone prime melee weapon that uses Dakra Prime's model for the sword(when it comes to putting more sword and shield weapons into the game). As for adding shields to existing swords in the game, I think that's actually a really cool idea, but I don't know if it could be implemented with the current system in place. I think that in order for existing swords to get shields with them, they would have to be new weapons. And it would be cool to see shields with daggers, but only if the shields were bucklers.

I think all melee should normally have a chance to perform parry counter and the Parry mod works on that base stats.  Silva & Aegis just need to have the highest chance and shortest counterattack animation.

By innate % to do parry counter attack, I think we should have Heavy < Two Handed Weapon < Dual Weapons < Single Sword = Dagger < Sword & Board

Edited by Hueminator

I think all melee should normally have a chance to perform parry counter and the Parry mod works on that base stats.  Silva & Aegis just need to have the highest chance and shortest counterattack animation.

By innate % to do parry counter attack, I think we should have Heavy < Two Handed Weapon < Dual Weapons < Single Sword = Dagger < Sword & Board

I've never been a fan of autoparries- it interrupts my personal flow of combat.

Hence why there is a mod for this (reflex guard). And it's a good one too. Though it does take some getting use to as it does interrupt the flow of combat when it proc's, more for getting into cover while not taking damage. (And it actually looks cool with Silva and Aegis, just holds up that shield when reflex guard proc's)

Yeah, Silva and Aegis really only looks good on my ember prime. But I was actually thinking more along the lines of another stand alone prime melee weapon that uses Dakra Prime's model for the sword(when it comes to putting more sword and shield weapons into the game). As for adding shields to existing swords in the game, I think that's actually a really cool idea, but I don't know if it could be implemented with the current system in place. I think that in order for existing swords to get shields with them, they would have to be new weapons. And it would be cool to see shields with daggers, but only if the shields were bucklers.

I think the shield with an alreayd existing sword could work, though, as long as they kept using the Eleventh storm stance.

Right now you can auto parry with reflex guard but you cannot do counter attack without Parry mod.

Parrying an attack is one thing, use counter is another thing.

Right now all weapon can parry.  All weapon have 0% to do counter without mod, (96% with mod).  My proposal would make that some weapon will have higher chance to trigger counter attack like Silva and Aegis (even without equipping Parry mod)

Edited by Hueminator

Right now you can auto parry with reflex guard but you cannot do counter attack without Parry mod.

Parrying an attack is one thing, use counter is another thing.

Right now all weapon can parry.  All weapon have 0% to do counter without mod, (96% with mod).  My proposal would make that some weapon will have higher chance to trigger counter attack like Silva and Aegis (even without equipping Parry mod)

That's not entirely true, the parry mod just increases the chance for the enemy to stagger when they hit your block while channeling. Other wise it's a game against RNG when it comes to pulling off a parry attack, but you have to be channeling in order for it to proc.

That's not entirely true, the parry mod just increases the chance for the enemy to stagger when they hit your block while channeling. Other wise it's a game against RNG when it comes to pulling off a parry attack, but you have to be channeling in order for it to proc.

Exactly. The point of the shield buff would be that they would not need mods or anything for the parrying- but it's an action you can take with the weapon, even when you're not using it, similarly to how you can quick attack with melee weapons, this would be like a quick block.

Though I've yet to try it I had actually been hoping it was a ether type weapon which are in my opinion a lot better looking than most weapons even the prime melee ones. Fire made sense but I kinda want a ice one given that many factions are weak to it allowing for a few great combos. That and a single dagger doing more damage than a sword and board is kinda sad.

Also welcome to the forums I hope to see your fanfic sometime soon.