Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Geeking Out: The Real Life Tenno Culture

NearlyDedicated

Notice: This thread is outdated, and can be considered closed. I am expanding on my thoughts here and am going to post an in-depth analysis shortly! 

The following post is about how following the Tenno culture / apparent belief system has changed my life.

So - I can't be the only one out there. Some of my daily activities included in this post come pre-Warframe, but I really like the Tenno's style, and thought I'd share (what I find to be) a modern version of Tenno culture (thoughts, ideas, ways of looking on life).

Each day, I'm sure to stop and meditate (although I act more like I'm praying, just in a mediation position), either in the morning or evening, until my mind feels clear and the world doesn't seem to matter anymore. It allows me to approach situations like Bobby McFerrin suggests here: (

).

I've made white trees similar to the dojo "planters" out of Sodium acetate:

zfZWATS.jpg

These are all little things that remind me each day of the "Tenno Creed" (see below). 

All of this stems from what I consider to be the philosophy of the Tenno: Balance. Being the lore-hound that I am, I've noticed particular aspects, such as the message upon entering the chat system:

THE TENNO CREED

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor in all Training

Be Respectful

Loyalty is the Essential Duty of the Soldier

Analyzation:

Although this may go past many peoples' minds, it has motivated me beyond explanation. 

Seek Perfection of Character: I've been striving for just about a year now to better myself; I seek to be the one guy who sacrifices everything to give some.

Be Faithful: Rather than adopt the stereotypical "teenager" lifestyle of loud music and "idgaf", I've planned out my life according to what I have faith in (in my case, Christianity). Before I start a religious debate, let me say that whatever you are faithful in - it will have the same effect as it did on me.

Endeavor in all Training: When I started Warframe, I was a little waif of a person who had never dreamed of going to a gym. Now not only am I below average weight - my muscle mass has increased over 300% over three months.

Be Respectful: This one's simple; just turn the other cheek. This is coming easier and easier to me as time goes on; I have a stronger belief in a Karma system, as I've seen it at work.

Loyalty is the Essential Duty of the Soldier: I don't know about the soldier part, but I don't think I've ever been more loyal to anyone in my life. Despite the few breakups I've encountered over the past year, each person I meet I am sure to stick with. When I am with someone, I make sure not to "go looking", and such. With this comes honesty, trust, and faith.

All of this may seem silly, but I urge anyone who reads this post to find something they are faithful in, somebody to strive fornever stop correcting yourself. Perfection may not be possible, but through the "Tenno" culture, I think I've become a better person than I could've imagined. (Even my grades have changed from failing to straight A's, because I now strive to benefit in education!)

If I get some positive responses to this, I will post more on what I've "learned" from the Tenno culture. DE, you may not realize it, but you've introduced me to a new way of looking at life. 

Cheers,

-ND

Edited by NearlyDedicated

You may be a Christian, but Buddhism/Taoism seems to be right up your alley (I am neither of the two, however). Also, I agree, something about the Tenno is really... motivating. When I listen to Tenno drum music I'm pumped to clean my house. Not just the music, though, as drums are known to be motivating stimuli.

in zen buddhism , this is called finding the gate

there are many ways to find the gate, for each person it is different and unique so for you this is your catalyst and beacon towards entering 

to pass thru the gate is to tranquilly connect to the great mind, the universal mind of quiescence
with your quiescence you will meet others quiescence then there will be no need to flatter the powerful or scorn the weak, no longer feeling the need to maintain your dignity or impress your greatness upon anyone

the right performance of daily life and refining the mind is like using a drill, as long as you can drill it is not the end

when there is no resistance left, when you can drill no more , it goes "Ztt!" and the end is reached and you have reached the true conclusion, there is no word
when u have destroyed the last word and arrived at chaos, it is infinite, the summit of the triangle has no ultimate it is endless - you just know it without having to express it in words

we discipline ourselves to eliminate the irregularity of mind, to find our original pure nature and original formless mind that is free from the limits of the outside world so we may re enter the world with clear vision and open heart 

a man asked me,
'why do you always stay in the green mountains?'
i smiled, but i did not answer
a peach blossom follows the stream a thousand miles
-a famous zen poem
Edited by HAYABU5A

there are many ways to find the gate, for each person it is different and unique so for you this is your catalyst and beacon towards entering 

Yes, and I think the eastern/buddhist-esque theme of the Tenno have assisted in this further.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have looked into Buddhism (variants included), and have applied some of the cultural structure to my life over time, as you suggest. What Buddhism lacks in general is the belief in a higher deity. That's not to say they are more similar to atheists; they simply do not discuss the matter.

I have fused the two cultures - religious and Buddhist (more specifically Zen Buddhist) - into my own interpretation. It's funny how something so ridiculous (a video game, for crying out loud) can open your eyes to a new way of looking at life.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have looked into Buddhism (variants included), and have applied some of the cultural structure to my life over time, as you suggest. What Buddhism lacks in general is the belief in a higher deity. That's not to say they are more similar to atheists; they simply do not discuss the matter.

I have fused the two cultures - religious and Buddhist (more specifically Zen Buddhist) - into my own interpretation. It's funny how something so ridiculous (a video game, for crying out loud) can open your eyes to a new way of looking at life.

Buddhism isn't really a religion, its more of a way of life, hence why it does not discuss deities. You can fit this way of life just fine into your Christian beliefs. I'm considering adopting Buddhism myself.

Edited by Gammaion

Buddhism isn't really a religion, its more of a way of life, hence why it does not discuss deities. You can fit this way of life just fine into your Christian beliefs. I'm considering adopting Buddhism myself.

Not that I know more than the next guy, but I can speak from experience a bit (I've been using my evolving belief system for over a year now...just pseudo-baptised myself this past weekend to bring closure to my old way of life).The one thing I can say is, as I said earlier:

find something to have faith in, somebody to strive for, and never stop correcting yourself (improving is a better word, but I do so through correction).

This post gives me life. Amen. 

Glad to hear it! :) I hope you can learn something from this post, as that was my intention.

Edited by NearlyDedicated

just want to confirm to clear any confusion - yes many laypeople and subsects of buddhism in asia actually pray to buddha, buddhist saints, and spirits but this is not the original buddhism

buddha means "the knower" and buddha himself specifically asked his followers and laypeople not to pray to him but instead practice what he practiced, he wanted the people to have the freedom (of mind) from suffering and agony 

buddha is a nature we can all cultivate, essentially it is your original nature before the world shaped and molded your mind/heart into something distorted thats catches you in a cycle suffering because we let it run free to do as it pleases without 'knowing'

definitely from the buddhist point of view you can practice christianty or any religion while also practising buddhism there is no clash

but im not sure if christianity allows it ? if strict theological practice is adhered to.. well im not sure

if you want to practice buddhism as a westerner i would recommend dhyana buddhism (chan in chinese, zen in japanese) it is the most practical sect and the closest to the original buddhas intentions, basically it gets straight to the point and emphasizes practice and experience while focusing less on philosophy and mysticism

taoism is unique too - its the practice of following the natural order of the universe by not striving against the tao and allowing things to thrive by not smothering them, doing much without forcing anything

The supreme good is like water,
Which nourishes all things without trying to.
It is content with the low places that people disdain.
Thus it is like the Tao.

In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don't try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.

When you are content to be simply yourself
And don't compare or compete,
Everybody will respect you.
-famous lines from the tao te ching