Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Boss] Kela De Thayme And Grineer Rollers In General

TheGrimNinjah

Remove rollers just do it. I just fought the boss kela da thayme and the first thing that stood out is that she can spawn many rollers without limit, i ended up with about 10-15 rollers rolling around me and stagger locking me, i couldnt even use my warframe abilities because i was locked in stagger. Usually when grineer rollers are around they roll around and are ridiculously hard to hit meanwhile they stop your attacks by staggering you and just being a general @(*()$ annoyance and for what reason? They are just cheap. They need to be removed from the game because as an enemy they arent contributing anything to the game really except for being a rage inducing enemy. Is that what you want your players to do? You want them to sit there and rage over the fact that they just got #*($%%@ over by a group of grineer rollers and they couldnt do S#&$ about it because they either couldnt hit them and slowly took it in the &#! from the grineer and their rollers stagger locking ability or they just get killed by the rollers themselves (Another thing that makes me say wtf. Not only are they really hard to hit and they stagger you which leaves you open for a decent amount of time but they also do @(*()$ damage? WHAT?). The worst thing you could possibly do is add this rage inducing enemy to a boss and make them unlimited. Seriously, Kela keeps spawning those @(*()$ rollers like a small roller factory allowing her to be untouchable at times because you are either running away from rollers/trying to avoid them or are already at the stage where its too late and the rollers have completely take over the fight. Really this boss sucks. Mainly because of the fact that the rollers were more intimidating than the boss, they did more damage and I couldn't do much about it which makes me wonder why these are still in the game.

Please just remove the rollers, they dont add anything good to the game and you'll never hear a player say "Why did they get rid of the grineer rollers? They were so fun to fight and they were my favourite enemy".

Also please look at this thread by socinus here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/29040-hit-reactionsstun-locking/

That thread shows half of the problem with rollers (Stun locking).

Edited by TheGrimNinjah

Rollers aren't my fav enemy either but NO!

if every difficult thing in the game will be nerfed then the game WILL fail. If a boss spawns 10-15 rollers not all should go to you since you should have teammates. You would have to deal with 3-4 at once (max). Don't think that a boss level is meant to be soloed because that is just ridiculous (teamwork is always key). And they don't really do that much damage (40 dmg isn't that high).

If you want something to help you against them I find Slash Dash (Excalibur) a very good ability against them if you aim it right.

I would like to see a way where you can get rid of rollers on your body (a backflip from a wall or something) but removing them is just NO...

if every difficult thing in the game will be nerfed then the game WILL fail. If a boss spawns 10-15 rollers not all should go to you since you should have teammates. You would have to deal with 3-4 at once (max). Don't think that a boss level is meant to be soloed because that is just ridiculous (teamwork is always key). And they don't really do that much damage (40 dmg isn't that high).

If you want something to help you against them I find Slash Dash (Excalibur) a very good ability against them if you aim it right.

I would like to see a way where you can get rid of rollers on your body (a backflip from a wall or something) but removing them is just NO...

The ones that attach themselves can be removed by a dodge-roll meaning that they wont explode on you. And they at least need to *limit* the amount of rollers that that boss can spit out at once. Otherwise why have a solo mode?

if every difficult thing in the game will be nerfed then the game WILL fail. If a boss spawns 10-15 rollers not all should go to you since you should have teammates. You would have to deal with 3-4 at once (max). Don't think that a boss level is meant to be soloed because that is just ridiculous (teamwork is always key). And they don't really do that much damage (40 dmg isn't that high).

the Little ones that stick to you, they can come off you just need to roll and they fall off.

I get what you are saying but there is a clear difference when an enemy is cheap and when an enemy is difficult e.g. At the end of most fighting games in arcade mode there is  cheap boss that just annoys the F*** out of people because they can hardly damage it and it three hits them (Shao khan is exactly like this) and then there are difficult but just difficult, no cheap tricks and no rage inducing bullS#&$ such as most bosses in pve instances in mmo games like in WoW. The examples arent great but I hope you get what I mean and I cant always be with teammates I had to take all the rollers and they stunlocked and killed me. Also imagine 10 rollers constantly attempting to hit you, not all will hit you  but you will die quickly because if even 5 rollers hit you thats 200 gone off your shields or health + stagger which leaves you vulnerable to more attacks from the rollers. I dont need help against them because I usually get along just fine even though whenever they are in the game they always annoy the F*** out of me and i almost killed this boss by staying far away and trying to evade the rollers until they stacked up to too many. Remember the nervos? They were cheap not difficult and they got removed.

Edited by TheGrimNinjah

Rollers in small numbers is fine, but when there gets to be more than three at once they are extremely tedius. My recommendation is rather than remove them entirely, have them do more damage per hit but instead of stunning you they just mess up your aim for a second.

I would recommend DE to keep them since they offer:

-Difficulty to missions

-Useful allies using Chaos or Mind Control from Nyx

-Doesn't make the game too easy since players complained about that

But I don't like them either but they add difficulty.

I've been reduced from 250 health to 30 from "3-4" rollers at once. Because by the time they managed to get to me, they had had just enough distance from eachother that I had not fully recovered from the previous stumble before getting nailed again and again and again and again. The only reason I didn't die is because the Roller AI managed to push me to an area where one of them got caught so I could Ult.

If this is what you consider as "difficulty" than please, play Dark Souls, and understand how good design and difficulty actually work. Because Rollers are the epitome of "false difficulty".

Rollers aren't that bad in small numbers. Sure they are the biggest offenders of the stun-lock problem in this game, but in groups of up to 3, they're still manageable. But more than that? Welp, may as well go get a drink, cause i'm not gonna be able to get out of that stun anyway. I wouldn't say the Rollers need to be outright removed, but tweaking is definately necessary.

Possible ideas:

1. Rollers will damage themselves as well on hitting you. I mean, they ARE charging into you with their own bodies. Have them also take one-third of their health damage (rounded up) every time they hit you, and explodes on the third hit for increased damage if you don't kill them before that.

2. No staggering on hit, just screwing up your accuracy a bit and maybe nudge you without making you lose control. Come on, they're hand-sized BALLS. Why are they so damaging.

3. Put a limit on how many Rollers can be on the field at a given time. On normal missions, maximum can be 2+n for n players, and for Kela it can be 2n for n players.

1. Add an AI limitation, preventing more than X rollers from targeting the same Tenno at the same time.

2. Either allow us to non-jump melee them, or make it so that staggering doesn't interrupt reloading.

Or 3) make it so that they cant stagger you out of a jump slam attack.I cant count how many times I was just about to hit the ground with a jump slam attack only to get staggerd *right* before it registered and have it cancel the attack. That is just cheap.

I would recommend DE to keep them since they offer:

-Difficulty to missions

-Useful allies using Chaos or Mind Control from Nyx

-Doesn't make the game too easy since players complained about that

But I don't like them either but they add difficulty.

They dont add difficulty. In a normal mission you would encounter 3-4 at most so you would just spam jump attack to get rid of them or just run past them. They dont make the mission any harder they just annoy people imo. The boss isnt hard she is just cheap with that roller factory she has going, it doesnt add any difficulty to the boss considering i almost killed her until the rollers were just too many. Im sure there are better enemies that could be made to add difficulty.

Basically what I am trying to say is that the rollers are just not needed. Rollers are like the vermin of warframe, they roll around annoying people until they are killed or until they get you killed because you decide to stop and start clearing enemies but you cant because the rollers keep @(*()$ up your aim and staggering you so the grineer with their newly found high fire rate (I like that fire rate. Some people say its too difficult but I still find it easy to defeat the grineer as long as I dont just let them shoot at me because a few of them will easily drop your shield in seconds.) can bend you over.

EDIT: Just read in the new hotfix they nerfed grineer lancers firing rate.....Well I guess the grineer will go back to being pushovers again lol.

Edited by TheGrimNinjah

Remove rollers just do it. I just fought the boss kela da thayme and the first thing that stood out is that she can spawn many rollers without limit, i ended up with about 10-15 rollers rolling around me and stagger locking me, i couldnt even use my warframe abilities because i was locked in stagger. Usually when grineer rollers are around they roll around and are ridiculously hard to hit meanwhile they stop your attacks by staggering you and just being a general @(*()$ annoyance and for what reason? They are just cheap. They need to be removed from the game because as an enemy they arent contributing anything to the game really except for being a rage inducing enemy. Is that what you want your players to do? You want them to sit there and rage over the fact that they just got #*($%%@ over by a group of grineer rollers and they couldnt do S#&$ about it because they either couldnt hit them and slowly took it in the &#! from the grineer and their rollers stagger locking ability or they just get killed by the rollers themselves (Another thing that makes me say wtf. Not only are they really hard to hit and they stagger you which leaves you open for a decent amount of time but they also do @(*()$ damage? WHAT?). The worst thing you could possibly do is add this rage inducing enemy to a boss and make them unlimited. Seriously, Kela keeps spawning those @(*()$ rollers like a small roller factory allowing her to be untouchable at times because you are either running away from rollers/trying to avoid them or are already at the stage where its too late and the rollers have completely take over the fight. Really this boss sucks. Mainly because of the fact that the rollers were more intimidating than the boss, they did more damage and I couldn't do much about it which makes me wonder why these are still in the game.

Please just remove the rollers, they dont add anything good to the game and you'll never hear a player say "Why did they get rid of the grineer rollers? They were so fun to fight and they were my favourite enemy".

Also please look at this thread by socinus here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/29040-hit-reactionsstun-locking/

That thread shows half of the problem with rollers (Stun locking).

You just suck. That's how I can better put it.

I can solo Kela so easly it's not even funny and really, if you need someone to tell you what is the big secret to beat her then I will.

Whenever she throws a roller, kill it, then shoot her again.

Yes I know, it's a very complex strategy that can only be archieved by the most hardcore players but I'm sure you'll get there (sarcasm in case you haven't figured out).

Kela is crappy boss: you can occupy some high ground and move left and right evading rockets and no rollers can harm you. Solo you can run out of ammo but two people can defeat it with almost no effort. As for rollers: the rollers spawned by Kela has low amount of HP and commonly oneshotted by every weapon (not first level weapon of course). Upgrade your accuracy and have fun ^_^