The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Anyone Else Think The Mod Cards Look Like Pci Cards?

-FrostByte-

Yeah. Thought so too.

gskill_ripjaws4_official.jpg

Too fancy.

Btw. RAM slots are not PCI(-e) slots... so I'd suggest editing the thread title to "look like RAM modules". Otherwise you would have to state you mean fancy Graphics/Sound cards because they are the ones going to PCI-e. PCI is dead anyways as well as AGP and both are now incorporated in PCI-e. xD

Edited by MeduSalem

pci card is a upgrade us p.c.guys can by and use up grade the p.c. like a memory card for the ps2 just adds more tec to the box.

I'd be careful when comparing that to a memory card of a PS2. If at all I'd compare a memory card of a PS2 to a USB-flash drive or something because the memory card is a non-volatile storage medium, which means data isn't lost if you turn the machine off.

Computer RAM on the other hand is most of the time a volatile memory and it's contents are lost during power loss. The reason why it is used in computers is because all technologies involving volatile memory are in general much much much faster than methods storing it non-volatile. That's one of the reasons why it takes forever to access stuff found on your harddisk drives and why RAM is needed so the CPU isn't throttled by loadtimes all the time.

If at all I'd compare a PCI card to the Network adapter released for the PS2 to grant it Online functionality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_Network_Adaptor#Network_Adaptor

PCI(-e) slots are meant for expansion cards like a Graphics Card, Sound Cards, LAN cards, and other expansion cards like for more SATA Controllers for more storage devices and whatnot. It's a fast access interface to link other co-processors like the GPU found on the graphics card directly to the CPU that often take off load from the CPU. Occasionally there might be some storage devices like fast SSDs connected to PCIe as a workaround to get around the bandwidth problems that slower interfaces like the SATA-storage standards have.

RAM Slots are the slots meant to expand on memory for Programs the CPU is currently working on. Operating systems like Windows also offer something like Virtual RAM which emulates RAM on the harddisk drive so when you run out of physical RAM Windows starts to swap RAM content to the harddisk drive. That's the reason why your Computer starts to slow down when you are running memory hungry programs like Games, Picture/Video editing programs and Rendering. The RAM slots are there to put more physical memory into your computer to avoid operating systems to have to use their slow virtual memory feature and to give it the fastest performance possible.

And sometimes some of the expansion cards for PCI-e, like for example Graphics Cards, have their own dedicated RAM (often refered to as VRAM) located on their cards which also shouldn't be confused with the RAM the CPU uses.

The vertical slots are the PCIe-Slots (for graphics cards)

The horizontal slots are the RAM-Slots

100-xl.jpg

Edited by MeduSalem

Yeah. Thought so too.

-snip-

Too fancy.

Btw. RAM slots are not PCI(-e) slots... so I'd suggest editing the thread title to "look like RAM modules". Otherwise you would have to state you mean fancy Graphics/Sound cards because they are the ones going to PCI-e. PCI is dead anyways as well as AGP and both are now incorporated in PCI-e. xD

hardware isn't my forte :D i can swap out stuff.. thats about it

hardware isn't my forte :D i can swap out stuff.. thats about it

I know that feeling... xD

But wait until you have to swap your CPU for once... That's when sh*t is getting serious. It's the most hated part when I build a new computer or change something.

Dealing with the Thermal Compound and putting the cooler on top of the CPU is always ridiculous... especial if you would need 3-4 hands to do it but there's not even room for 1 hand sometimes. ;D

I know that feeling... xD

But wait until you have to swap your CPU for once... That's when sh*t is getting serious. It's the most hated part when I build a new computer or change something.

Dealing with the Thermal Compound and putting the cooler on top of the CPU is always ridiculous... especial if you would need 3-4 hands to do it but there's not even room for 1 hand sometimes. ;D

I can swap cpus, I repaste my own every spring/fall

I have a static band that grounds me to the floor and I use rubber gloves I stole from work :D

The thing that scared me the most was my first solo-build... unboxing everything and assembling my whole rig together. I know the serious feeling very very well.