The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Iron Skin: A Change That Would Make It Good At All Levels

TheCometCE

So I was talking with a clanmate of mine and came up with a nifty idea for how to "fix" iron skin.

Iron Skin lasts for X hits received.

This would make iron skin be equally good at all levels and shift the threat certain enemies pose to Rhino (aka: big damage snipers aren't so bad, but bullet hoses will tear him apart), as well as making the skill be equally useful at all levels in the game.

You could use multipliers for certain weapons to tweak the balance on it, so in dark sectors the vectis could hit for 40 "hits", where the grakata would hit for 1.

He's fine. Towards endgame you would need to rely on using it for getting out of hellish situations, rather than having it as a second skin for the entire mission, because, you're right, it doesn't scale too well.

Honestly I think Rhino is fine as he is right now. He is a very good mid- low level warframe that scales poorly into endgame due to his lack of an endgame skill. Leave him where he is at. He doesn't really need any buffs/nerfs

He's fine. Towards endgame you would need to rely on using it for getting out of hellish situations, rather than having it as a second skin for the entire mission, because, you're right, it doesn't scale too well.

He has been nerfed and that is why he's a "mid-low level warframe". The point here is to have a balanced set of warframes all equally viable in all levels of content. The fact that Iron Skin becomes Paper Skin later indicates a problem.

Quoted from myself in another thread:

To be honest I preferred the old IS to the one now, but I saw how complete invulnerability for a duration was abused.

IS as it is now needs to scale to enemy level, that would make it perfect and a more consistent damage mitigation option.

If IS were to go back to complete invulnerability for a duration, then he needs to have between 25-50% mobility reduction in addition to drawing aggro during the cast and up to a max of 10 seconds after it wears off to prevent serious abuse.

He has been nerfed and that is why he's a "mid-low level warframe". The point here is to have a balanced set of warframes all equally viable in all levels of content. The fact that Iron Skin becomes Paper Skin later indicates a problem.

Quoted from myself in another thread:

To be honest I preferred the old IS to the one now, but I saw how complete invulnerability for a duration was abused.

IS as it is now needs to scale to enemy level, that would make it perfect and a more consistent damage mitigation option.

If IS were to go back to complete invulnerability for a duration, then he needs to have between 25-50% mobility reduction in addition to drawing aggro during the cast and up to a max of 10 seconds after it wears off to prevent serious abuse.

Honestly I don't see a reason to do this. Some war frames will dominate at earlier levels of the game (rhino). Some will be endgame monsters (Loki and Vauban), but because their skills scale equally won't be quite as devastating as the earlier mentioned warframe class (rhino) at earlier levels. It's all about choice. Some skills have to be based off of damage, and iron skin is just too powerful at earlier levels to consider moving it to a more endgame status. A reduction in movement speed wouldn't really affect how most people play, as the entire point of iron skin is to take damage that the caster would normally be taking. If your goal is to escape, use a charge or stomp. There really is no way to balance iron skin for all levels. Leave it as it is. 

Honestly I think Rhino is fine as he is right now. He is a very good mid- low level warframe that scales poorly into endgame due to his lack of an endgame skill. Leave him where he is at. He doesn't really need any buffs/nerfs

Scales poorly? Sure, maybe Iron Skin doesn't scale too well, but use a good Roar with a Boltor Prime, or Dread, or Ogris, and you suddenly turn a lot of damage into a metric S#&$-load of damage. Not to mention, Stomp modded for range gives Rhino some really nice CC capabilities that people seem to ignore.

But on the topic of Iron Skin, I don't think changing it to number of hits would make it better. Considering that the majority of foot soldiers wield automatic weapons (Grakata, Dera, Flux Rifle), this would do bad things to Rhino's survivability, especially since some builds rely entirely on Iron Skin for survivability.

As a whole, absorption tanking and high level content don't mesh well in this game, the only way to make it really work is full invulnerability, and that's what Iron Skin used to be, so that's a no-no.

I suppose you could make it into the new Overheat, the only reason that was removed was because the devs thought it didn't mesh well with Ember's kit (even though it totally did, the squishy, close-range caster couldn't use survivability at all, no, give her more damages), why not give it to Rhino instead? Percentage damage reduction scaling with strength, that would fit fine into Rhino's kit.

Honestly I don't see a reason to do this. Some war frames will dominate at earlier levels of the game (rhino). Some will be endgame monsters (Loki and Vauban), but because their skills scale equally won't be quite as devastating as the earlier mentioned warframe class (rhino) at earlier levels. It's all about choice. Some skills have to be based off of damage, and iron skin is just too powerful at earlier levels to consider moving it to a more endgame status. A reduction in movement speed wouldn't really affect how most people play, as the entire point of iron skin is to take damage that the caster would normally be taking. If your goal is to escape, use a charge or stomp. There really is no way to balance iron skin for all levels. Leave it as it is. 

You do realise that Rhino is supposed to be a Tank right?

If his damage does not scale infinitely, why not allow the guy to actually Tank damage? I don't see why people are against this. It would make Rhino what he was before, a support tank that can deal damage for a while but ends up becoming the tank that revives you when noone else can take the damage.

Besides if his IS scaled with the enemy level it would make him viable for all content and not just dominate on mercury or whatever. you would still have to play carefully.

You must not have played since closed beta, and have just been seeing the mostly intellectually lacking Rhinos of today.

The end game content should not be exclusive to only a few frames.

If his damage does not scale infinitely, why not allow the guy to actually Tank damage? I don't see why people are against this. It would make Rhino what he was before, a support tank that can deal damage for a while but ends up becoming the tank that revives you when noone else can take the damage.

Besides if his IS scaled with the enemy level it would make him viable for all content and not just dominate on mercury or whatever. you would still have to play carefully.

You must not have played since closed beta, and have just been seeing the mostly intellectually lacking Rhinos of today.

Nope he is fine the way he is, Roar makes him a monster and a maxed range stomp makes for great utility in sticky situations, he is not just about iron skin. I use iron skin for running through situations and stomp to stop all the incoming fire. Not sit there like a noob and just complain about not being able to take shots all day just standing over a teammate trying to revive him while taking tons of high level enemy damage, that's the point of it getting harder. where is the fun in i'll take 50 shots no matter what type they are and i'll be able to revive you no matter what. Or you could just keep the other skills nice and reactive and use a well balanced spec'd rhino to stomp and stop the damage to pick your teammate up and then head back into the fray.

Intellectually lacking rhinos? those who aren't intellectually lacking know that he can handle end game just fine.

Rhino's tanking ability is pretty high as it is, with him having very high base armor, shield, health, iron skin, and cc on his rhino stomp. I like the idea of a damage reduction (maybe a window where damage is absorbed, then that damage is added as a percent resistance based on how much damage it would have done). Honestly, Rhino is pretty good where he is, and can tank damage better than most warframes in the game. 

He can also give pretty good damage buffs with roar, so damage output isn't really a problem. 

Edited by (PS4)deathfrombelow5

Roar

Stomp w/ 8 sec. Stasis unaffected by Power Strength/Duration

I seem to have stumbled on yet another thread where people with suggestions to change Rhino are getting flamed by fanboys. Well, let me start off by saying that Rhino isn't much of a tank right now. Zephyr and Valkyr can mitigate damage far more effectively than him. Rhino has become a CC machine, something which to be completely honest, ticks me off. Back during U8 or so, when I used to main Rhino, Iron Skin was 15s of complete invulnerability, but back then, Fleeting Expertise didn't exist. Neither did Valkyr. Now, we have a frame that can have upwards of a minute's invulnerability, but people lose their minds if they are told that the old Iron Skin is a good idea. Think about it. Infinite scaling, negative effects due to Fleeting Expertise (implying lesser spammability), more tactical deployments, and cover becomes a little more important. That will weed out the door hero tryhards who rely entirely on Iron Skin to survive.