Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Gear

NovaBlast4501

So i was think, that maybe we need some new gear. I think ammo/health restores, ciphers and fireworks isn't enough. I was thinking of a few things.

First of all, i was thinking of a sort of spy pod. A small flying ball about the size of your palm, you can throw it in to the air, and it can fly around, giving you the opportunity to find out where enemies are (and maybe it marks it on radar). 

I also thought about maybe having grenades. There could be smoke grenades, ice grenades, incendiary grenades, normal frag grenades. Maybe just to add a little more firepower.

If theres anything that I've missed, or see these ideas as unworkable etc. Please say, thanks.

Spy pod = Codex Scanner (see enemies through walls) or Enemy Radar mod

Grenades - Didn't the devs say no to them? If you're that much into grenades, get a Penta or Torid.

A little much on the agressive side, don't you think?^^'

Dismissing him like that I mean...

First, you can't shoot or mark enemies on your map with the scanner. Many players don't like Enemy radar all that much (myself included). Not to mention there are more "useful/important" aura mods. And it's a pain to use in Corpus tilesets too. Map overloaded with red dots.^^

Second, indeed, the devs don't want grenades. Apparently it's A-okay to be a space ninja with grenade launchers, but it's a no-no if you throw them with your hand. I just want to play hot potato with friends... *sob*

But honestly I don't really care if we have grenades or not. Maybe "utility nades" could be good though.

The spy pod could be useful, but if you equip Enemy Radar as your Aura mod, you will have a much better time finding enemies. Perhaps rather than having it fly around in search of enemies, you can place it down in one area and any enemies in that area are highlighted while in its rage? I could see it being more balanced that way.

I also had an idea for new gear. How about a miniature shield generator to assist you in combat? Think a portable version of Volt's Shield, but without the additional benefits. It would only block incoming projectiles, but it could be placed in a hurry if you need to revive a fallen comrade or grab some ammunition. Or hack a console to make sure you are killed if you are a bit slow. 

Ugh. I really hate typing posts and then having the page reload or crash on me, forcing me to start over. Massive pet peeve with the forums, not that it's anyone's fault but mine.

Anyway, as I think I was saying, I completely agree that warframe needs more variety in its consumables system. It's sorely underdeveloped and while not an absolute priority, anything to make it more of a consideration and less of a simple convenience would be welcome. Practically speaking, we get to choose between the four restores, codex scanners, ciphers and specters in terms of what to put on the gear wheel - oh wait, we don't have to choose at all! The lack in variety of consumables makes the whole thing about as interesting as modding a Boltor Prime for 'greatest damage output', but without the abundance of overlooked mods to scroll through.

Which isn't to say the gear wheel is useless. Far from it, restores are - sometimes literally - lifesavers, ciphers are a welcome convenience, specters are a great backup to have, and scanners... well, they kinda need work. But that's all there is to it, really. Just a bunch of items which add a small measure of convenience, rather than take advantage of the utility potential such a gear system has. It's a way to make gameplay easier rather than be a feature in and of itself, which I guess is acceptable, and definitely not useless, but the range of options available to us to use it to its full potential is underwhelming.

The system itself could be better streamlined too - having to stop in order to open up the gear wheel breaks the otherwise fluid, fast-paced nature of Warframe combat (which is also why snipers are so niche and will continue to be). Even using the oft-overlooked gear hotkeys does little since the restores and specters require players to stand still for wasteful seconds while they operate.

But yeah, on the topic of more consumable variety, I would be supportive of the spy drone idea - it sounds pretty sweet and would add a dash of utility that could have players treating the gear wheel more importantly as part of their loadout, though I would be wary of the effect this would have on the usage of the Enemy Radar aura.

Edit: uncoordinated fingers and sleepy eyes make for premature... punchlines. Obviously. And posts.

As for the suggestion on miniaturised Warframe powers, like Volt's Electric Shield, I would be very hesitant to support that one. At what point do they start to become as potent or just as viable as the skills themselves? For example, having a 'mind control' consumable is totally binary - either the mob is mind-controlled, or they aren't. There is no extent to which they are mind-controlled, and even if there were, the scale on which we rank the consumable and the skill would be very, very situationally balanced, which leads onto the possible point where consumables which emulate warframe skills turn the gear wheel into a game of 'build your own warframe'.

I would be much more supportive of ideas that introduce utility, not overwrite them. For example, I would totally invest in a consumable item which let me... idk, normalise (yes, normalise, not buff) warframe speed across the squad which I could pop at the start of the mission or before we exit an elevator. This wouldn't negate the use of Volt's Speed, but it would add a measure of utility as well as help combat rushers and laggers simply due to frame speed.

Edited by Vastaren