Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Modification To Deception To Promote Stealth

Xenoraptor

Hey Everyone,

I know there has always been a fair bit of debate about the stealth mechanics (or lack thereof) in Warframe and while I think that the basic systems behind enemy awareness and responses need to be overhauled, I also think there should be some sort of encouragement for stealth in at least some of the non-endless game modes.

We already have a mechanic for Rescue, so it should be doable.

Since the point of the mission is to surreptitiously upload something to the enemies' computer system, it seems odd that you can alert the whole ship, kill hundreds of enemies and then just upload whatever it was with the press of a button.

I would suggest adding a short defensive aspect, similar to Mobile Defence but shorter (1-1.5 min max), for any squad that takes the noisy approach. A Stealth run would simply upload and move on.

It may make it to similar to mobile defence, but if it's only a single terminal, short and reliant on detection status I hope it would be different enough.

Any thoughts?

I think stealth should be an option, not a requirement for a smooth run.

Adding a little defense thing for squads who screw up or don't do stealth is just annoying. 

It's an inconvenience to people who choose not to do stealth.

Unfortunately one tweak to a mission won't cut it, especially with the stealth being as hit-and-miss as it is sometimes.

The entire stealth system would need to be overhauled.

Plus, adding a little defense thing to Deception would just make it a toned-down version of mobile defense.

Carry data to a point, defend point, move on.

Just my thoughts on it. Not trying to shoot down your idea.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Fair enough, I think that if the time is kept short, then it should be to inconveniencing, but I can understand that others mightn't agree.

I'm biased, as I quite enjoy stealth gameplay (though not in Warframe, which, as you said, requires a complete overhaul due to its hit-and-miss nature), but we already have several missions in which Stealth isn't even an option, so I would like to see a couple more of the less played missions reward stealthy play or in some way. But again, that's my bias talking.

Making it to similar to Mobile Defence was my biggest concern as well and I don't really have much of an alternative at the moment, but hey, that's what discussion and suggestions are for.

Fair enough, I think that if the time is kept short, then it should be to inconveniencing, but I can understand that others mightn't agree.

I'm biased, as I quite enjoy stealth gameplay (though not in Warframe, which, as you said, requires a complete overhaul due to its hit-and-miss nature), but we already have several missions in which Stealth isn't even an option, so I would like to see a couple more of the less played missions reward stealthy play or in some way. But again, that's my bias talking.

Making it to similar to Mobile Defence was my biggest concern as well and I don't really have much of an alternative at the moment, but hey, that's what discussion and suggestions are for.

It's hard to have a balance between the two.

Making missions friendlier to stealth just makes normal gameplay difficult and tedious.

Making missions less friendly to stealth removes that option from players who enjoy it.

Take the rescue missions as an example (specifically the red veil ones).

If you don't do stealth, you risk losing the target AND you have to fight the ridiculously tough Wardens, weak to stealth and stealth only.

So anyone who doesn't enjoy stealth or isn't good at it will really have a rubbish time in those missions.

The game could be friendlier to stealth, for sure. But it's gotta do it without gimping other styles.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Stealth could be handled as an alternative approach - crawling through air ducts, hacking terminals, stealth-killing the janitor for his keycard. Those who want to rush through, killing everything, are free to do so. But those who take the long way, who sneak past enemies without triggering an alarm, should be rewarded as well.

So you upload the virus or data or whatnot without anyone having noticed? Double Points (or triple points) to make up for the missed XP from all the enemies you didn't kill, and maybe a little bit extra for the extra effort.

So you upload the virus or data or whatnot without anyone having noticed? Double Points (or triple points) to make up for the missed XP from all the enemies you didn't kill, and maybe a little bit extra for the extra effort.

But the point of an alternative approach is to have different styles of play and have them all be viable.

Not to have 'one best way' to do a mission or earn the most.