Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Not Make The Dismemberment A Feature That Adds Variety In Gameplay

Venarge

I thought about the awesome dismemberment we have in the game and thought about a little "addition" to that.

There should be more parts you can rip apart from their body. We see it on the sawblade guys. You can shoot of their arms, legs and heads. My idea is basically making this for all the Grineer/Corpus/Infested. But what would that change?
At first, this would change nothing. But here comes the real feature.

Grineer are familiar in genetic science, corpus are a high tech race. Why not give them the possibility to treat their wounds during batte and let them change their battle behavior after treatment.

Example:

You run across some grineer. You begin to slice and dice. You hit a crit on one of them and cut off his arm.

So this grineer now runs away and tries to get some cover. There he is going to inject himself a syringe with an genetic enhancer into his wound. This makes his genes go crazy and begin with reproduction. After a few seconds, he grows a new arm. The fact that these limbs have to grow very fast to in order to make the grineer ready to fight again, makes the arm some kind of mutation. Hes much bigger now. This grineer now can use his arm as some kind of shield(similar to the shield lancer) while shooting with his sidearm weapon. He is also able run at you and hit you with his new grown arm. This attacks knocks you down and does some damage. Their melee attacks would be slightly more powerful and not really blockable.

The same thing could work for the Corpus. They could attach some kind of disk to their wound that will then change into some kind of mechanical arm that is able to shoot and do powerfull melee attacks or protect the user with an additional shield.

And the infested, well. They just mutate another arm out of their wound

We basically kill all what is in sight of us. Grineer and Corpus know that we are armed with sharp lethal weapons, so why not let them prepare for the worst case/arm off situation :D

I hope you like this little idea

It's an interesting idea at the very least, though hard to implement in this game. When talking about dismemberment, it reminds me of fighting the Hyperion Loaders in BL2, shooting off their arms and legs to weaken the generally tough robots. I like enemy dismemberment, but I would prefer a boss or mini-boss that can have parts shot off of them along the fight.

I thought you could already shoot the arms and legs off of Infested? Maybe I am wrong.

It's an interesting idea, though I think like Madotsuki says, it would be difficult to implement and we players probably kill them too fast anyway.

You can shoot off Infested heads (no effect) and their legs (forces them to crawl), though not arms i think. Ancients have no destructable limbs.

It's an interesting idea at the very least, though hard to implement in this game. When talking about dismemberment, it reminds me of fighting the Hyperion Loaders in BL2, shooting off their arms and legs to weaken the generally tough robots. I like enemy dismemberment, but I would prefer a boss or mini-boss that can have parts shot off of them along the fight.

Hehe. Yeah a boss would be cool.

Or maybe a new enemy type for the races.

Grineer Gene soldier maybe.

I dont want that every last enemy can do something like that ^^

A boss would be awesome as well.

I just would like to see some more variety in the battles. I rally cant wait to see new enemies.

In the meantime, I just made this fast thing here. Thats what I had in mind

14527271.jpg

Edited by Venarge

Too much coding required for too little. We're talking about new models (arm + syringe), new enemy types, new AI and new stats. For what? The rare case of you shooting a guy in the hand?

I mean people will just avoid shooting them in the hands if they turn more powerful afterwards.

Too much coding required for too little. We're talking about new models (arm + syringe), new enemy types, new AI and new stats. For what? The rare case of you shooting a guy in the hand?

I mean people will just avoid shooting them in the hands if they turn more powerful afterwards.

Thats not about shooting. Its about the melee.

I dont want that to appear on every enemy. They could easly use the infested arm and change it a bit. Make it bigger/more bulky.

The AI behavior would be the same form the shield lancers. A syringe doesnt have to be very high detailed. Just something hes putting in his wounds. And the enemies itself shouldnt be OP. They should simply change their attack behavior to change the gameplay....

Edited by Venarge

Thats not about shooting. Its about the melee.

I dont want that to appear on every enemy. They could easly use the infested arm and change it a bit. Make it bigger/more bulky.

The AI behavior would be the same form the shield lancers. A syringe doesnt have to be very high detailed. Just something hes putting in his wounds. And the enemies itself shouldnt be OP. They should simply change their attack behavior to change the gameplay....

Yes, that is exactly what AI is. Behaviour. And I don't recall shield lancers running away from you when their arm is blown off, or having a separate animation to inject something "hes putting in his wounds".

And all this for meleeing? If you get in melee range of a grineer and have enough time to cut his arm off, it's not likely he'll ever escape unless a shield grineer knocks you down in that exact second.

Yes, that is exactly what AI is. Behaviour. And I don't recall shield lancers running away from you when their arm is blown off, or having a separate animation to inject something "hes putting in his wounds".

And all this for meleeing? If you get in melee range of a grineer and have enough time to cut his arm off, it's not likely he'll ever escape unless a shield grineer knocks you down in that exact second.

Well well. ok.

Its your opinion ^^

Edited by Venarge

would be cool (and annoying) if the made us, the warframes, risking being dismembered instead of outright killed :P loose a leg - run half speed, loose an arm - only one handed weapons becomes usable or/and no charge attack on melee and/or greatly increased swaying when firing our gun. could be healed just like you can be revived.

It should be reserved for elites and bosses. However, it'd require lots of work coding all of them.

However, the idea feels right with Infest. A new unit that once reach HP threshold, enter berserk mode and recieve randomly enhanced body part (could be arm(s) or leg) which allows it to change tactic.

It should be reserved for elites and bosses. However, it'd require lots of work coding all of them.

However, the idea feels right with Infest. A new unit that once reach HP threshold, enter berserk mode and recieve randomly enhanced body part (could be arm(s) or leg) which allows it to change tactic.

I would be fine with elites/bosses. ^^

Sounds like the J'avo from Resident Evil with a twist.

More bodyparts flying is good. Making them crawl is good too.

Yeah, javo like. But not too creepy/ugly/mutated to make them look like infected. ^^

Edited by Venarge

I wouldn't mind awesome locational damage. Shooting off legs,  crippling dudes, etc.

I mean, not a terribly high-priority thing but it'd be fun as hell to be able to beat levels by shooting the guns out of people's hands and nothing else.

(If you do that you unlock afros for all Grineer and the achievement 'Peaceframe').

Edited by MJ12

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting idea Venarge, though I feel the part about 'augmented' Grineer or Corpus with over-grown shield like arms or mechanical augmentations (Adam Jensen, anybody >.<) should be modification of the basic Grineer and Corpus character models at higher levels.

Example, level 1 to 15/20 Grineer Lancers and Crewman appear as we all are familiar with, while those beyond that level (say, 21 to 40) have augmentations or modifications to reflect higher difficulty of the mobs (higher shields or health reflected in mutated body parts like implanted shield generators into over-sized limbs of Grineer Lancers [Grineer Veterans?] or higher damage like swords that retract out of the arms of Corpus Prod Crewman [Corpus Custodians?]).

Maybe add special random abilities to these mobs. For creative use of fluff, lets say some higher level Grineer can slam their overgrown arms into the ground which either creates a slam attack that stun any nearby WF or sprout forth an organic shield. Corpus Boxheads can deploy electrocuting shields from their robot arms replacements when WF's come into melee range or create a transmitter that buffs the weapons of nearby Corpus. Keep stuff dynamic.

At the very least instead of seeing the prospect of farming higher tier mobs for rarer mods or resources as an eye sore, it keeps the players on their toes. I would love to see that happen. Gives each faction a character unique to themselves.

Or just make mini-Lieutenant Lech Krill's. That be sure to make me scream ;)