Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trinity: Change Well Of Life

castem

The situation has changed a bit since I first posted (Blessing got a nerf, then a buff), but Well of Life still remains in a weird sort of limbo.  It doesn't provide healing as easily as it should (and even if it did, it'd be grossly outdone by the now-spammable Blessing), and single-target CC is covered by EV (with the bonuses of extra energy and not making the target harder to kill).

WoL is greatly overshadowed by Trinity's other powers, and I can't understand why Well of Life hasn't been addressed already.  Since Trinity has been getting some attention from DE, it's my hope that they'll give WoL a little love too.

To that end, I've come up with several options they could use (ranging from slightly altering the current WoL to complete reworks of it).  I don't mind if it's a full rework or a little tweak, but I'd like to see WoL get at least some love from DE.

Slight Alteration

Remove the health amplification of Well of Life.

Reasoning:

WoL would be a solid one-target cc then, since you could cast it on heavy/high-priority targets to both a) cc them and b) mark them for your team to take down. The health players would get from attacking the target would be a nice icing on the cake. (And since you'd be casting it on targets your teammates would actually be attacking - like heavy gunners and eximus/leaders - the healing would occur more often. This would have the added bonus of allowing you to save your Blessing for when your team really needs it, rather it than being your go-to heal.)

Moderate Alteration

Remove the health amplification of Well of Life; also make it affect a certain number of additional targets within range of the enemy you cast it on.

Reasoning:  

WoL active on more enemies means it's much more likely that each of your allies will be attacking one (and gaining health / being healed in the process), which would be a fantastic way to address some of the usability issues WoL has.  It's also a good change to combine with the loss of the health amplification (which is only really there to make sure each of your teammates has a chance to attack the target and get health; with aoe WoL, they get that chance)....This would numerous benefits:  it'd let you cc high-priority targets, it affects multiple enemies so allies have more of a chance to attack an affected enemy, and it doesn't reach Reckoning-level CC (which is good, for the sake of balance).

The above reason, in conjunction with the reasoning provided for 'Slight Alteration'.

Heavy Alteration

Remove the health amplification of Well of Life; make it a toggle ability with a maximum duration.  Allies gain health in two ways:

1) As a percentage of the damage they deal when attacking the target.  (This is how it is now.)

2) As a pulse, when the ability expires (its duration is reached, it is toggled off, or the affected target dies).

The healing pulse heals all allies within its range, and heals up to the maximum amount of healing possible (400 health, for a maxed WoL with no +Power Strength mods).  [so the maximum amount of healing you could get from a maxed WoL would be 400 + 400 health, with no power strength mods.]

If the target dies while WoL is active, the healing pulse at the end also heals an equal amount of shields.  [so if the target dies, the maximum amount of healing you could get from a maxed WoL would be 400 health + 400 health + 400 shields (with no power strength mods).]

Reasoning:  

The reason for removing the health amplification, as well as being single-target, can be reviewed under the reasoning for Slight Alteration.  In addition, this version achieves healing the squad via a healing pulse, rather than by affecting multiple enemies at once (like the moderate alteration does).  It also allows the healing of shields - something it couldn't do before - to try and help out squad members who rely on high shields to cover their low health.

Complete Rework

For a complete rework, I see 3 options I like:

1.  A power that greatly increases the stamina regeneration of the team (and possibly allows full stamina regeneration while blocking).

2.  A power that forces the affected target(s) to drop ammo.  [suggested by mishli]

3.  A movement power - something that'll increase Trinity's speed and/or mobility.  [suggested by mishli]

Reasoning:

WoL is greatly overshadowed by the other tools Trinity has.  A complete rework may be necessary for Trinity to be the best support/healing frame she can be.

#1 is nice for all melee users and rushers out there, it fills a spot that's currently empty (I don't think there are any other powers that grant stamina regeneration), and it allows Trinity to restore all 4 of the resources Warframes need (shields, health, energy, and stamina).

#2 is nice because it allows Trinity to support her team through ammo drops - a resource they'll need for their weapons.  This will be a huge plus for teammates who use weapons with low maximum ammo sizes or incredibly high fire rates.

#3 is nice because it'll allow Trinity to quickly get to an ally's side, or out of danger, or through the map...Trinity isn't fast, and giving her a movement power could make things easier for her (especially when it comes to reviving fallen teammates and catching up with the group).

The original post, for those who were interested

Although I'm a bit disheartened to see the ultimate of one of my favorite frames nerfed, I can see several reasons why DE decided to make that change.  I don't necessarily agree with the nerf, but I can understand it.

What I can't understand is why Well of Life hasn't been addressed already.  Well of Life offers CC and healing, but is overshadowed in both regards by Trinity's other powers.  Energy Vampire already offers CC (in addition to valuable energy), and Blessing is infinitely better than Well of Life when it comes to healing.  Even Blessing's 'cooldown' (it can't be recast while active) isn't enough to make Well of Life very useful when it comes to healing.

I don't want to turn this into a 'this is what Well of Life should be!' thread; I simply want DE to have another look at Trinity's first power.  Hopefully if she's already getting some attention from DE, it won't be too much to ask for.

Edited by castem

Well of Life was quite useful for taking heavy units out of the battle, even if only for a while. Now, with leaders and their auras, that's not really an option any more (or does their aura get switched off, while they hang around in the air?). Health for dealt damage is a nice idea, but since the target's health is multiplied by 10, you can empty your whole arsenal into them and they'd still be alive. Plus, they don't "keep" the damage when they go back to normal health, so you'll have to use another mag to finally kill them.

Well of Life should mark all enemies within a certain radius (similar to Molecular Prime) and whenever you hit one of them, you get back health. That way, it would actually be useful as a healing skill.

@DesecratedFlame: I think that adding a CC effect to the skill might be a little too much. It's her first ability after all.

Edited by Bibliothekar

they just need to make Blessing at max rank do a full heal. 

well of life needs to give HP to the whole party and have a much longer base duration.

EV needs to restore a maximum of 100 energy. usually I can get anywhere from 125-175 energy from one cast of EV. 

link needs a longer base duration.

thats how I would fix her.

i completely agree with the OP, i don't even mind the hit to blessing very much as it was incredibly powerful (i do miss it healing excavators though, i feel now frost is gonna be the only frame people play in that game mode now) but seriously DE, i'm confused... there is honestly no point in casting WoL at all unless you want to troll your friends by 10xing a boss's hp... i'd much rather have it return ammo on the killed target, or make the target drop ammo, or be a movement ability like teleport, rip line. considering it's a support class that makes the most sense to me, it'd be really cool to have an ability that could teleport your teammate to you, kind of the opposite of ash's teleport, but i feel like that could troll too many people too hard. honestly i stopped using the ability long ago... in the event that they make trinity prime, i'd much rather have that slot be given a different polarity to save me the forma than get a new well of life. 

IMHO the only good thing about the ability is it's so useless it wasn't even a question of which spot to forma out so i could put in more survivability

@DesecratedFlame: I think that adding a CC effect to the skill might be a little too much. It's her first ability after all.

don't forget almost half the 1st abilities in the game have some form of cc (either that or are mobility based), let's throw a few out, necros, frost, rhino, hydriod, valkyr has both movement and cc, doesn't really sound like much to ask for at all, though i don't think it's needed

Just make WoL a CC AoE skill and take away the health boost.  That could almost make up for Blessing not restoring full health.

While I do like the idea, I think that'd be too powerful for Trinity's first power.

i completely agree with the OP, i don't even mind the hit to blessing very much as it was incredibly powerful (i do miss it healing excavators though, i feel now frost is gonna be the only frame people play in that game mode now) but seriously DE, i'm confused... there is honestly no point in casting WoL at all unless you want to troll your friends by 10xing a boss's hp... i'd much rather have it return ammo on the killed target, or make the target drop ammo, or be a movement ability like teleport, rip line. considering it's a support class that makes the most sense to me, it'd be really cool to have an ability that could teleport your teammate to you, kind of the opposite of ash's teleport, but i feel like that could troll too many people too hard. honestly i stopped using the ability long ago... in the event that they make trinity prime, i'd much rather have that slot be given a different polarity to save me the forma than get a new well of life. 

IMHO the only good thing about the ability is it's so useless it wasn't even a question of which spot to forma out so i could put in more survivability

Your ammo suggestion is awesome - I don't believe any other frame has an ability like that (I think Desecrate would probably be the closest), and it makes a lot of sense for a support frame. I'd also love to see a movement ability on Trinity, so I like your second suggestion as well.

That being said, I'm not sure if either one could be justified in replacing Well of Life. I don't see how powers would increase ammo drops (logically speaking), and I don't think DE ever intended Trinity to have a lot of movement/speed. Basically, you're asking for an entire rework of Well of Life, whereas I'm just hoping DE gives it a few tweaks (although more would certainly be welcome). Trinity deserves that much, at the very least.

they should make well of life "channel" to other enemies once the original target dies and reduce the health amp., it would remove the 1-2 punch that makes trin OP at endgame while also giving WoL a utility/use for maxing its' rank/duration.

I'm starting to see a pattern here - that WoL's health amplification seems more a hindrance than a benefit. I can see why; on paper, the health increase would give everyone a chance to hit the enemy and get health, while in practice it only slows the squad down (or they get obliterated by a room-clearing move).

I'd be all for seeing it removed; WoL would be a solid one-target cc then, since you could cast it on heavy/high-priority targets to both a) cc them and b) mark them for your team to take down. The health players would get from attacking the target would be a nice icing on the cake. (And since you'd be casting it on targets your teammates would actually be attacking - like heavy gunners and eximus/leaders - the healing would occur more often. This would have the added bonus of allowing you to save your Blessing for when your team really needs it, rather it than being your go-to heal.)

don't forget almost half the 1st abilities in the game have some form of cc (either that or are mobility based), let's throw a few out, necros, frost, rhino, hydriod, valkyr has both movement and cc, doesn't really sound like much to ask for at all, though i don't think it's needed

While I do like the idea, I think that'd be too powerful for Trinity's first power.

Your ammo suggestion is awesome - I don't believe any other frame has an ability like that (I think Desecrate would probably be the closest), and it makes a lot of sense for a support frame. I'd also love to see a movement ability on Trinity, so I like your second suggestion as well.

That being said, I'm not sure if either one could be justified in replacing Well of Life. I don't see how powers would increase ammo drops (logically speaking), and I don't think DE ever intended Trinity to have a lot of movement/speed. Basically, you're asking for an entire rework of Well of Life, whereas I'm just hoping DE gives it a few tweaks (although more would certainly be welcome). Trinity deserves that much, at the very least.

I'm starting to see a pattern here - that WoL's health amplification seems more a hindrance than a benefit. I can see why; on paper, the health increase would give everyone a chance to hit the enemy and get health, while in practice it only slows the squad down (or they get obliterated by a room-clearing move).

I'd be all for seeing it removed; WoL would be a solid one-target cc then, since you could cast it on heavy/high-priority targets to both a) cc them and b) mark them for your team to take down. The health players would get from attacking the target would be a nice icing on the cake. (And since you'd be casting it on targets your teammates would actually be attacking - like heavy gunners and eximus/leaders - the healing would occur more often. This would have the added bonus of allowing you to save your Blessing for when your team really needs it, rather it than being your go-to heal.)

It already stuns one enemy, I am just saying make it affect up to 10 enemies in 15m radius instead of one enemy, and remove the health buff from it.

It already stuns one enemy, I am just saying make it affect up to 10 enemies in 15m radius instead of one enemy, and remove the health buff from it.

By "health buff", are you talking about the health amplification (increase in enemy's health), the restoring of allies' health when they attack the target, or both?

By "health buff", are you talking about the health amplification (increase in enemy's health), the restoring of allies' health when they attack the target, or both?

I am talking about where it increases the enemy's health by 10x.  Instead have it just affect 10 enemies within a certain radius

Edited by (PS4)DesecratedFlame

I am talking about where it increases the enemy's health by 10x.  Instead have it just affect 10 enemies within a certain radius

Ah, alright then.  I think then the only concern I'd have left is about the radius (aoe) you're suggesting.  I think you're either suggesting

1) all enemies within a certain radius from Trinity, or

2) all enemies within a certain radius from the target you cast WoL on.

I think that 1) would limit WoL too much.  I find that casting WoL from a distance is nice, since you can choose which targets specifically to cc and you can cast it on an enemy ahead of the group.  I don't find myself being the vanguard when I'm playing Trinity, so hitting a bunch of enemies with WoL behind my group probably wouldn't help out my group all that much.  While WoL would be more powerful in this version, it'd also be much more situational - and I don't think Trinity players need less reason to use WoL than they already currently do.

I think that 2) would make WoL too powerful.  An aoe WoL like this would actually be comparable to (or perhaps surpass) Oberon's Reckoning in terms of CC, which would be pretty crazy.  It'd mark entire groups for annihilation, which would be easy pickings since they'd be totally helpless.  WoL is one of the most powerful forms of CC in the game, since enemies that are suspended in the air are unable to move, retaliate, etc.

While I do like your ideas, I don't feel like WoL would be very balanced if they were implemented.  That being said, I do love the idea of adding aoe to WoL.  WoL active on more enemies means it's much more likely that each of your allies will be attacking one (and gaining health / being healed in the process), which would be a fantastic way to address some of the usability issues WoL has.  It's also a good change to combine with the loss of the health amplification (which is only really there to make sure each of your teammates has a chance to attack the target and get health; with aoe WoL, they get that chance).  Perhaps a compromise can be reached?

I'd think 2) would be ideal if it were slightly altered:  give it a much lower target cap.  That way when you cast WoL on an enemy, that enemy and a very small number of enemies (I'm thinking 1-2, possibly boosted with Power Strength) within a certain radius of the target enemy would also be affected.  This would numerous benefits:  it'd let you cc high-priority targets, it affects multiple enemies so allies have more of a chance to attack an affected enemy, and it doesn't reach Reckoning-level CC (which is good, for the sake of balance).

Even with the lowered target cap, that still may be too powerful, given how great CC WoL actually is.  If so, I'd be happy if they just removed the health amplification part of WoL.  As I stated in a previous post, it'd be a fantastic change to WoL for several reasons.

Ah, alright then.  I think then the only concern I'd have left is about the radius (aoe) you're suggesting.  I think you're either suggesting

1) all enemies within a certain radius from Trinity, or

2) all enemies within a certain radius from the target you cast WoL on.

I think that 1) would limit WoL too much.  I find that casting WoL from a distance is nice, since you can choose which targets specifically to cc and you can cast it on an enemy ahead of the group.  I don't find myself being the vanguard when I'm playing Trinity, so hitting a bunch of enemies with WoL behind my group probably wouldn't help out my group all that much.  While WoL would be more powerful in this version, it'd also be much more situational - and I don't think Trinity players need less reason to use WoL than they already currently do.

I think that 2) would make WoL too powerful.  An aoe WoL like this would actually be comparable to (or perhaps surpass) Oberon's Reckoning in terms of CC, which would be pretty crazy.  It'd mark entire groups for annihilation, which would be easy pickings since they'd be totally helpless.  WoL is one of the most powerful forms of CC in the game, since enemies that are suspended in the air are unable to move, retaliate, etc.

While I do like your ideas, I don't feel like WoL would be very balanced if they were implemented.  That being said, I do love the idea of adding aoe to WoL.  WoL active on more enemies means it's much more likely that each of your allies will be attacking one (and gaining health / being healed in the process), which would be a fantastic way to address some of the usability issues WoL has.  It's also a good change to combine with the loss of the health amplification (which is only really there to make sure each of your teammates has a chance to attack the target and get health; with aoe WoL, they get that chance).  Perhaps a compromise can be reached?

I'd think 2) would be ideal if it were slightly altered:  give it a much lower target cap.  That way when you cast WoL on an enemy, that enemy and a very small number of enemies (I'm thinking 1-2, possibly boosted with Power Strength) within a certain radius of the target enemy would also be affected.  This would numerous benefits:  it'd let you cc high-priority targets, it affects multiple enemies so allies have more of a chance to attack an affected enemy, and it doesn't reach Reckoning-level CC (which is good, for the sake of balance).

Even with the lowered target cap, that still may be too powerful, given how great CC WoL actually is.  If so, I'd be happy if they just removed the health amplification part of WoL.  As I stated in a previous post, it'd be a fantastic change to WoL for several reasons.

2.) It should work on all enemies within a range from the target it is cast on, but the skill should have a limited casting range and be affected by range mods.

5 Enemies at max rank would be fine if the number increased with Power Str.

Version 2 would be fine, if it just marked the enemies (maybe slow them down a bit) instead of hanging them in the air.

Why not just remove the healing limit on well of life? Sure, it would heal a lot, but it only affects one enemy and you must shoot that enemy to get healed. It would also scale in usefulness to the enemies' level cause higher level = more hp.

I like the idea of giving her minor CC boost, but I feel that it would give her too much, since mass CC is one of the only things she does not have.

Why not just remove the healing limit on well of life? Sure, it would heal a lot, but it only affects one enemy and you must shoot that enemy to get healed. It would also scale in usefulness to the enemies' level cause higher level = more hp.

I like the idea of giving her minor CC boost, but I feel that it would give her too much, since mass CC is one of the only things she does not have.

In my opinion, I don't think that the healing limit on Well of Life is the issue with it.  I think it's main problem lies in its ease of use.

To use Well of Life effectively as a CC ability:

- cast it on a target

So WoL is easy enough to use as CC.  However....

To use Well of Life effectively as a healing ability:

- cast it on a target

- target needs to be near allies

- target can't be ignored by allies or no healing occurs

- target can't be annihilated by a room-clearing move or only 1 ally gets the healing

And this doesn't take into consideration not targeting certain enemies because they'll be harder to kill, or the delay in healing between when you cast it and when (or if) your allies damage the target.

In contrast, let's look at the ease of use of other healing abilities in the game:

To use Blessing effectively as a healing ability:

- cast it when an ally's health is low

To use Renewal effectively as a healing ability:

- cast it when an ally's health is low

That's perhaps a bit simplified, but not by too much.  Healing abilities shouldn't be as hit-or-miss as WoL is, and since Trinity already has both Blessing and Energy Vampire (decent single-target CC + doesn't make the enemy harder to kill + gives energy), the current WoL has more pressing issues than simply how much it heals for.

That post above

I see what your saying. Basically Blessing and Renewal are much easier to use, meaning even if they all healed the same amount people would still gravitate to Blessing and Renewal simply for ease of use. While that's true it's not impossible to use well of life, if you can aim at a mob with your gun then you should be fine with well of life. Players not noticing it or not using it is a player thing, not a problem with the ability.

Nevertheless, I can see where you are coming from. If well of life was easier to use maybe more people would use it. But at the same time with the change they just made to blessing one must question do you even need well of life to begin with. So the next solution would be to give it a different purpose, but what would that be? Giving her more CC would be way too much considering what she already has, healing is redundant, damage does not go with her theme. Only thing I can think of is buffing, but the question is do we really want to maker her into a buffing machine and do we really need more power?

With the recent changes to Blessing, I don't see well of life going anywhere. It seems the original design was supposed to be that blessing was an emergency last ditch heal while well of life was the main heal you would use. However, because there is nothing limiting blessing, you can use it as a regular heal, and well of life is meaningless. 

Edited by Racercowboy

the post above this one

Very well put; I agree with everything you've said.

In fact, that's the original stance I took in the original post - that Well of Life is in a strange limbo, where it's a decent power that's greatly outmatched by the other tools Trinity already has.  Why use WoL when you could use EV and/or Blessing?  Its cheap energy cost alone isn't enough to justify it (especially when Trinity has EV), and Blessing - which is now spammable as of the last hotfix - is so much easier, faster, and more effective for healing.

Honestly, I think a complete rework should be done.  I'd love to see a new power in its place, one that gives her functionality that's useful for a support/healer frame that isn't already shared by her other powers.  I don't think a complete rework is going to happen, though - it seems DE only does an actual 'rework' when the power doesn't fit their vision (Ember's Overheat being a good example of this).  I'm guessing Well of Life was rather intentional for the 'healer' frame.

Even then, I guess a complete rework isn't entirely impossible.  That being the case, I'll list off some possibilities of how WoL could be altered, separated by the extent of the alterations (slight, moderate, heavy, complete rework).

Slight Alteration

Remove the health amplification of Well of Life.

Reasoning:

WoL would be a solid one-target cc then, since you could cast it on heavy/high-priority targets to both a) cc them and b) mark them for your team to take down. The health players would get from attacking the target would be a nice icing on the cake. (And since you'd be casting it on targets your teammates would actually be attacking - like heavy gunners and eximus/leaders - the healing would occur more often. This would have the added bonus of allowing you to save your Blessing for when your team really needs it, rather it than being your go-to heal.)

Moderate Alteration

Remove the health amplification of Well of Life; also make it affect a certain number of additional targets within range of the enemy you cast it on.

Reasoning:  

WoL active on more enemies means it's much more likely that each of your allies will be attacking one (and gaining health / being healed in the process), which would be a fantastic way to address some of the usability issues WoL has.  It's also a good change to combine with the loss of the health amplification (which is only really there to make sure each of your teammates has a chance to attack the target and get health; with aoe WoL, they get that chance)....This would numerous benefits:  it'd let you cc high-priority targets, it affects multiple enemies so allies have more of a chance to attack an affected enemy, and it doesn't reach Reckoning-level CC (which is good, for the sake of balance).

The above reason, in conjunction with the reasoning provided for 'Slight Alteration'.

Heavy Alteration

Remove the health amplification of Well of Life; make it a toggle ability with a maximum duration.  Allies gain health in two ways:

1) As a percentage of the damage they deal when attacking the target.  (This is how it is now.)

2) As a pulse, when the ability expires (its duration is reached, it is toggled off, or the affected target dies).

The healing pulse heals all allies within its range, and heals up to the maximum amount of healing possible (400 health, for a maxed WoL with no +Power Strength mods).  [so the maximum amount of healing you could get from a maxed WoL would be 400 + 400 health, with no power strength mods.]

If the target dies while WoL is active, the healing pulse at the end also heals an equal amount of shields.  [so if the target dies, the maximum amount of healing you could get from a maxed WoL would be 400 health + 400 health + 400 shields (with no power strength mods).]

Reasoning:  

The reason for removing the health amplification, as well as being single-target, can be reviewed under the reasoning for Slight Alteration.  In addition, this version achieves healing the squad via a healing pulse, rather than by affecting multiple enemies at once (like the moderate alteration does).  It also allows the healing of shields - something it couldn't do before - to try and help out squad members who rely on high shields to cover their low health.

Complete Rework

For a complete rework, I see 3 options I like:

1.  A power that greatly increases the stamina regeneration of the team (and possibly allows full stamina regeneration while blocking).

2.  A power that forces the affected target(s) to drop ammo.  [suggested by mishli]

3.  A movement power - something that'll increase Trinity's speed and/or mobility.  [suggested by mishli]

Reasoning:

WoL is greatly overshadowed by the other tools Trinity has.  A complete rework may be necessary for Trinity to be the best support/healing frame she can be.

#1 is nice for all melee users and rushers out there, it fills a spot that's currently empty (I don't think there are any other powers that grant stamina regeneration), and it allows Trinity to restore all 4 of the resources Warframes need (shields, health, energy, and stamina).

#2 is nice because it allows Trinity to support her team through ammo drops - a resource they'll need for their weapons.  This will be a huge plus for teammates who use weapons with low maximum ammo sizes or incredibly high fire rates.

#3 is nice because it'll allow Trinity to quickly get to an ally's side, or out of danger, or through the map...Trinity isn't fast, and giving her a movement power could make things easier for her (especially when it comes to reviving fallen teammates and catching up with the group).

And on all those notes, I think it's time I updated the main post.

Regarding complete rework option 3: I had thought of an "Emergency Response" ability, that let's Trinity plough through a horde of enemies (pushing them out of the way) to get to a teammate who's low on health or down (maybe adding a Sanctuary effect for revive). However, since we have no option to heal others despite Blessing and health regen items, this ability would only be useful if someone goes down. Which you shouldn't let happen in the first place.

However, I like the idea of the Sanctuary effect for revives, and since Trinity already has Energy Vampire, this might be a nice passive if we ever get Trinity Prime (replacing the standard "get 250 energy from death orbs").

Edited by Bibliothekar