Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are So Many Old Sound Concepts Removed?

Slaytanic93

Recently I've been watching youtube videos of very old Warframe gameplay, and I noticed that there are many sounds that no longer play in the game or that rarely do. Before I proceed, I want to make it clear:

I'm NOT refering to old Grineer and Corpus voices, the new ones are cool.

I'm gonna put the link to a old gameplay of Terminus, on Mercury. For some reason it was a Corpus map with Grineer characters but well, most of the stuff I want to show are there. If you want to have the full nostalgia watch the entire thing, if you want to know exactly what I'm talking about, follow the timestamps:

0:34 = Some weird noise starts playing, I remember hearing that everytime in mercury missions, I thought it was supposed to be the sound of enemy troops moving but it sounds more like Marbles going downstairs. Together with the drums that start playing, the first time I heard it I thought "Oh Snap, they are coming.". I hear it still sometimes but I have no clue what triggers it.

0:52 = Ahh the Corpus alarm, it used to play when you got detected or when they used lockdown. As opposed to Grineer war siren, this one had an beep sound like the one you hear when your in a store and they call for a Staff member in a certain section of the store. It had this woman speaking in english, which wouldn't fit as of right now, but it could be changed to Corpus language and keep the beep sound. Never heard it again, no clue when it was removed.

1:05 = Another line of this Corpus "announcer" about lockdown.

2:20 = This is sort of a "No enemies around, soundtrack fade out" but it sounded interesting for some reason and also made me miss it on the recent version of the game. Maybe it's just for the old feeling...

3:00 = It's the Grineer!!

3:28 = Once again, the same soundtrack fade out. It fit perfectly although it was a different soundtrack playing before the last one.

And of course there were a lot more sounds that made the game feel totally different from what it is today, but I couldnt list any more in this single video. 

I'm not saying "bring this exact thing back", but take a look at it, change it a bit and adapt it to the new enemy voices/dynamic soundtracks and make the game feel unique again. Also, about dynamic soundtracks, specially Corpus, they are great, I hope you keep it up for the upcoming Void.

Edited by Slaytanic93

The reason it was grineer on a corpus ship is that early on there really was only one tile set, just the corpus ships.  They later added the grineer asteroid set but there was no grineer ships for quite awhile. 

But I agree with you, there are a lot of sounds that were in the game that were really good and have been removed.  Its a shame. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre