Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sprinting Tenno Should Auto-Vault Waist-High Obstacles

MJ12

Anything like this that removes control from the player and autoplays an animation that is out of the players control is a nono for me. The only exception is being the freerunning moves like wall climbing and strafing, but this isnt one of them and beyond adding an animation that seems pointless serves no practical purpose - you can already jump over obstacles just fine and vault over objects if you are hiding behind them, all without loosing control of your character or playing an unnecessary animation for what you are already doing anyway.

Or, in short, autovaulting is a pointless gimmick straight out of console tpp shooters that serves no practical purpose.

So you want to jump over an obstacle, which takes longer, removes your practical ability to control your movement for a longer period of time, and is more finicky... because you don't like the idea of a short, fast animation that actually does the job better?

It's only a 'pointless gimmick' if you don't like being able to simultaneously reduce your window of vulnerability while looking cool.

And all the people going 'but what if I vault over a railing'? Well, if you're running directly at a railing or object I would assume that you wanted to jump over it. If you wanted to take cover behind it you'd probably slide into cover instead (and I don't think encouraging taking cover in a game that's about aggressive movement is a good idea anyways). Again, the point is 'if you run into a waist-high obstacle while sprinting you should automatically vault/slide over it'. Not 'you should do this while moving no matter what'.

Honestly, it worked very well in Metal Gear Rising. I wouldn't go as far as they did, sprint, parkour, wall running and block where all the same button. I like Warframes movement as it is but a dodge debris/vault button would be nice.

Edited by ValhaHazred

And all the people going 'but what if I vault over a railing'? Well, if you're running directly at a railing or object I would assume that you wanted to jump over it. If you wanted to take cover behind it you'd probably slide into cover instead (and I don't think encouraging taking cover in a game that's about aggressive movement is a good idea anyways). Again, the point is 'if you run into a waist-high obstacle while sprinting you should automatically vault/slide over it'. Not 'you should do this while moving no matter what'.

It's if I don't turn soon enough when running down stairs then end up "auto vaulting" over them when I may only want to go down 1 floor. Anyway not much practical use in vaulting is there, jumping serves pretty much the same purpose and it's not exactly tricky to do.

I agree with this, there should be an option to be automatic or manual (With the bind X or something) for those who don't want it to be automatic. Its a waste of an animation, it should be implemented.

So you want to jump over an obstacle, which takes longer, removes your practical ability to control your movement for a longer period of time, and is more finicky... because you don't like the idea of a short, fast animation that actually does the job better?

It's only a 'pointless gimmick' if you don't like being able to simultaneously reduce your window of vulnerability while looking cool.

The first sentence the problem, the second explains why it is a problem.

In short, yes. I want "vaulting", moving between cover and pretty much anything else in the game not take away control of my character and expose my character to danger. I do not want automatic animations and actions that do things I can already do anyway. And looking cool is pretty much always way, way lower priority to me then actually contributing to gameplay quality.

Those distinctions, in all cases, should be made by the player, not the game. Which they already do.

Edited by JamnikPucek

If I'm running directly at a railing or object, I might be wanting to climb on top of it for screenshot purposes, or use the height of the railing/object for parkour-y stuff, or I might be trying to wall-launch off of the side of the object, or trying to peek at something behind it, or trying to get at an enemy that's standing just behind it.

In short, I think there should be a vaulting move that we can do, but it should definitely not be automatic. There are far too many situations (not noticing you're approaching a railing while running away from a hoard of chargers, for example) where automatic movement would force you to go where you don't want to (in this case, off the railing, into a pit, reset into a hoard of chargers that stunlock you to death).

I mean, the railing is there to prevent people from falling off. It'd kinda defeat the purpose if we automatically flew over them every time we approached them. (Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something, because I am extremely tired at the moment and probably shouldn't be posting e_e)

Basically: I totally support vaulting, but I'd want it triggered by something other than just sprinting at it. Or maybe just doubletapping sprint? Or using crouch? That would probably screw with people taking cover though...

Anyone that uses heavy weapons has already experienced what this could turn into with the downed attacks.

Downed attacks happen no matter what if you come near a downed opponent and press attack, then, since heavy weapons are slow, you go into this tremendously slow animation that you cant stop. You can still go into this animation while the enemy is almost already up and by the time you finished the attack he shot you a bunch of times before it connected.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

Then what we need are animations we can cancel and everybody wins.

I didn't say you shouldn't be able to cancel a vault animation. I'd prefer being able to vault objects easily versus 'not being able to vault objects and having to jump them'.