Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question About Upgrading Internet Speed

mechmoza

hey guys,

Newb question here, so im just wondering if I upgrade my internet speed from 5mbps to 10mbps then by how much am I going to improve my gaming experience.

I mean will it improve the latency significantly, or just a little.

Is there any number or figure out there that can help me tell just by how much is it improving.

anyway stay classy guys and thanks in advance for answering!

It won't improve the latency at all. All you're doing is increasing bandwidth, which increases the amount of data that can be sent/received over a given amount of time. Although you're technically moving more data "faster" it's not actually travelling faster over the wires and pipes of the internet.

Latency is the time it takes for a packet of information to go from your computer to another computer of the internet; the only way to improve this is to physically move closer to the other computer's location, to set up a more direct communication line (i.e. direct connection rather than through routing stations/ISPs) or to replace all of the communication lines with higher speed variants (making everything fiber optic) which can actually send a data packet at a higher speed than conventional wires.

Your download and upload "speeds" (throughput) will improve, but that's really it.

Here's a page explaining the differences between latency and bandwidth and why increasing bandwidth (upgrading your internet package) doesn't decrease latency: http://zoompf.com/blog/2011/12/i-dont-care-how-big-yours-is

It won't improve the latency at all. All you're doing is increasing bandwidth, which increases the amount of data that can be sent/received over a given amount of time. Although you're technically moving more data "faster" it's not actually travelling faster over the wires and pipes of the internet.

Latency is the time it takes for a packet of information to go from your computer to another computer of the internet; the only way to improve this is to physically move closer to the other computer's location, to set up a more direct communication line (i.e. direct connection rather than through routing stations/ISPs) or to replace all of the communication lines with higher speed variants (making everything fiber optic) which can actually send a data packet at a higher speed than conventional wires.

Your download and upload "speeds" (throughput) will improve, but that's really it.

Here's a page explaining the differences between latency and bandwidth and why increasing bandwidth (upgrading your internet package) doesn't decrease latency: http://zoompf.com/blog/2011/12/i-dont-care-how-big-yours-is

ok so if my ping is 100ms, does it consider good or bad?