Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo play, how to?

Cleverbird

Okay, so I got into the beta today and figured I'd give it a whirl... Chose Volt, because I like the idea of dealing a lot of damage through skills, and started a solo play. It was the very first level, how hard could it possibly be?

It took me 3 tries and 4 revives to finally finish it. It was not fun, at all. I can already hear all of you shouting "It's a co-op game, dont play alone!" Well, the option is there, so it should at least be enjoyable in some sense, right?

Enemies respawning in your back are not fun when you're slowly trying to clear a room.

P.S. Why does my shield drop to 50 when there's some ice on the floor, but I can survive the vacuum of space just fine?

Okay, so I got into the beta today and figured I'd give it a whirl... Chose Volt, because I like the idea of dealing a lot of damage through skills, and started a solo play. It was the very first level, how hard could it possibly be?

It took me 3 tries and 4 revives to finally finish it. It was not fun, at all. I can already hear all of you shouting "It's a co-op game, dont play alone!" Well, the option is there, so it should at least be enjoyable in some sense, right?

Enemies respawning in your back are not fun when you're slowly trying to clear a room.

P.S. Why does my shield drop to 50 when there's some ice on the floor, but I can survive the vacuum of space just fine?

About your armor. Cold is a direct counter against shields. not just against mob, also against players.

The game is perfectly doable in Solo, use your sorroundings for cover. Thats the best advice i can give. Oh... and aim for the head :)

I would play co-op for a few levels until you get the hang of the game before you start solo play. I had no real major issues starting out solo, but what I did was play more cautiously at the start when soloing.

Also, when ice is around your shield takes a hit and is reduced.

It gets better when you don't have to use the starting weapon. The MK1-Braton is a piece of crap. I, personally, didn't have any trouble soloing through most all of Mercury.

Vacuum doesn't have anything to conduct heat directly. Note that you still lose shields at a steady tick in vacuum.

Shields lose effectiveness at low temperatures, which is why freezing damage is effective against shielded enemies.

Edited by PaleMinerva

If you end up on a cold level, go ahead and exit and retry the mission. The conditions for each mission seems to reset each time you try. I would not waste revives on anything except boss missions. I may purposely use a revive just to keep track of when they reset each day, and relog for the dialy reward.

Well, its just tedious that enemies keep respawning in my back... Other than that its fine (well, aside from ridiculously low rifle ammo drops, forcing me to use my pistol 80% of the time).

And that ice thing still doesnt make sense (if you look at it realistically). At the end of each level you're shown strapping into some kind of ship and entering the vacuum of space unshielded. There's a reason astronauts wear those big suits, its to keep them warm. Space is cold!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far

One big clue that the game gives you about how to go about a mission is that big sword you have on you. In this game you cant just sit back and pop away when you are alone. When facing just a few enemies do try to use melee to take them down to conserve ammo. You can put electricity or stun mods on your guns to stun the enemy for a bit which gives you enough time to run up and slice or you can just run up and to the jump swing attack which knocks enemies down, does some good damage, and then you can easily shoot them a few times as they are getting up to kill them.

And one thing that people seem to have serious trouble with is that the mission objective comes first, you dont REALLY need to kill every enemy. You can sweep half a room and just run past the rest. There are several enemies who wont follow you. And i think that if you actually stay in a room for too long the game does spawn mobs behind you to push you forward.

Oh and that ice is space ice.... a new kind of ice with different properties that the Tenno havent found ways to .... counteract. Yes, that.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

And that ice thing still doesnt make sense (if you look at it realistically). At the end of each level you're shown strapping into some kind of ship and entering the vacuum of space unshielded. There's a reason astronauts wear those big suits, its to keep them warm. Space is cold!

You're not going into vacuum unshielded. It's a bit hidden by the UI, but you can see that two flaps on the pod, to the side of your character, come together over him a second after the pod releases. Also, space suits are made for much, much more than just insulation. Maintaining air pressure against vacuum, protection from micrometeorites/radiation, diagnostic equipment, etc.

Edited by PaleMinerva

Well, its just tedious that enemies keep respawning in my back... Other than that its fine (well, aside from ridiculously low rifle ammo drops, forcing me to use my pistol 80% of the time).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far

This is motivation to keep you moving forward. The only missions that doesn't have constantly spawning enemies are Extermination missions, that have a set number of enemies. Other than that, the only way to stop the spawn of enemies in a zone is for one of them to lock down the area. Then you can clear it out without more coming in, until you cancel the lockdown.

Didn't have too much trouble soloing, it's just that you need to be a bit cautious and sometimes even flee to recharge your shields. If you blindly run in and be all leeroy jenkins, it won't end well. xD

Also it's good to farm some of those levels for better mods and credits till you fight the first boss.

And somehow my text got fudged up but I'm too lazy to fix it. D:

Edited by Marvyra85