The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Remove The Starting Timer

Xianyu

You know what the problem is?

You try and join a game, and someone else has ALREADY joined it. So you get disconnected.

And you get disconnected again.

And then you get disconnected again.

Do you see how this could be a tiny bit frustrating on the level of wanting to pick up your computer and throw it across the room?

Remove the starting timer. Maybe then you wouldn't have eight people trying to join the same game. I think when a single person can get the same error message twenty to thirty times in a row, and have this happen on every single alert then you've got a massive failure of design.

Show me one person who can honestly say they've never suffered through this BS.

Remove the starting timer. At LEAST for alerts. No one clicks on an alert 'by accident', and if they did, well too bad.

No one clicks on an alert 'by accident', and if they did, well too bad.

And even if they did, they can still leave.

Beside this try to make a squad with 2+ Tennos and join than. It will solve the problem in most cases. There are always (!) other player with the same problem so you will find a squad in a few seconds if you ask at the regional chat.

Edited by Schattensonne

You know what the problem is?

You try and join a game, and someone else has ALREADY joined it. So you get disconnected.

And you get disconnected again.

[...]

Do you see how this could be a tiny bit frustrating on the level of wanting to pick up your computer and throw it across the room?

Remove the starting timer. Maybe then you wouldn't have eight people trying to join the same game. I think when a single person can get the same error message twenty to thirty times in a row, and have this happen on every single alert then you've got a massive failure of design.

Show me one person who can honestly say they've never suffered through this BS.

Remove the starting timer. At LEAST for alerts. No one clicks on an alert 'by accident', and if they did, well too bad.

The timer itself is not the problem, it only makes the underlying problem worse. A proper fix would require altering the ways in which the Warframe servers assign clients to player hosts.

As it is now, when you start a match the Warframe servers direct you to a player host. How exactly it determines one host over another (queue, stack, round robin, etc) is unknown. What is known is that it doesn't track how many people it has sent to a particular host within a short time frame. Therefore it can send even more than four players to a host resulting in that player host disconnecting the extra connection attempts. If you remove the timer you shorten this window but don't eliminate the problem. It will still occur due to uncontrollable latency and other factors.

(EDIT: It's also likely that this assignment doesn't occur until the timer reaches 0 anyways. Thus removing the timer would actually have no effect.)

It is also possible that there exists an information delay between player hosts and the Warframe servers. It may be several seconds before a player hosts "informs" the global servers that a slot has been filled (or opened). Removing the window won't correct for this delay either.

Ideally, the Warframe server needs to track the number of new clients it has sent to a player host in the last, for example, 10 seconds and not direct more than 3 or not more than the number of open slots. Other solutions may be available depending on the communication netcode between Warframe servers and player hosts.

A better solution would be to show all matches in progress and allow the player to join one or start a new one. However, if you've ever played other games online, you would know that games can become full between a server refresh and when you attempt to join. Information delay is always problematic.

EDIT: Other information.

Edited by Raelus

Option to host a game would solve a lot, but then it would create additional server load. Gotta balance. Devs gonna dev.

If you're referring to the option for the player to start a new game as host the load on the Warframe servers are minimal. A database operation at most and as much load equal to moving a mod around.

Player hosting doesn't rely on the Warframe servers, it's why matches don't go down when the servers would go down. The servers just act as matchmaking, directing new players to you.

Well, the mod moving only take effect on the server side once you click apply. Taking this in consideration, if requesting a game asks the same as that,  my point is that a lot of people would rather make their own games, and increase server loads... I'm pretty sure that's how it is, but I'm not working on servers (yet...). I'll see if I can have a word out for this to be tho.