The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"space Ninja"

Shady_Steve

Guys, one thing to consider is what it's like designing warframes on DE's end. Warframes are bio-mechanical combat suits, Excalibur sets the starting point for this style. Now using the basic aspects of Excalibur's design you now have to design warframes that visually fit within different archetypes. And thus you get a burly one for tanky Rhino, a more ornate one for supportive Trinity, etc. Now fast forward about 15 warframes and you're having to stretch farther and farther and include more ostentatious design elements and themes to avoid the cool new warframe being "Excalibur #16" in appearance. 

Considering Ninjas use / wear the most efficient objects / tools for the job, and we really don't know what is under the Warframes, these things could be skin tight, we are "touched by the Void". We have NO idea what that actually implies it did to us, aside from our restrained powers. Yes, these are our powers while we are restrained by our warframes, we are more powerful without them, but also completely uncontrolled.

Our appearance could literally be as close to use being naked as possible, with all the armor and stuff.

It also mostly refers to Tenno actions. We Assassinate, we literally appear out of nowhere in the middle of a massive Grineer fleet, detonate a ships core or disable its mainframe, then vanish. The entire parkour mechanics. The fact there is never more then 4 Tenno doing a mission, we are no army. Our architecture and culture are undoubtedly heavily Japanese / Ninja influenced.

We are SPACE Ninjas. If you thought everyone would be running around with blades / kunai when there are more futuristic stuff available.

I can see where people are coming from, i'm not following at the heels of DE so please take your rude presumptions and get gone if you can't have a rational conversation about this. I think the unique design/concept is good. I like how he looks, a space-age magician who bends dimensions. That's why i disagree with people saying it's silly or "unfitting" when there's no set standard for what a warframe should be or look like, not that i've heard of from DE. They did after all, create the tenno, and are the source of all of the game lore. If they set a standard for warframe appearance before please link me to that.

I fail to understand how people can say that the early designs that are much more simple and have a mystical, alien vibe to them fit in with the abominations we get these days. Its not even an opinion (the fact that they fit between themselves, not that I like the early designs more) up for debate. Its like saying orange is a cold colour and throwing it in the same box as blue. Or wearing beach sandals with a formal suit.

Take Ash compared to Hydroid for example.

Ash.jpg

Simple yet interesting look with a somewhat organic tone to it. Slightly insectoid/arachnid theme to the helmet. Colour scheme distribution is simple but good enough to allow the player to make their look interesting.

Hydroid.png

From the start the colour distribution is a total mess. Unnecessary bits that ruin the sleek design all over (waist for example. Another good example not shown in the image are the legs). Legs and shoulder pads are also too large compared to the arms and torso. Cheap Davy Jones/pirate wannabe knockoff theme that is too accentuated.

I am sorry that you feel so easily offended.

Ooh c'mon... They just need to add Stealth & better parkour, and we're good.

Want it or not, D.E. wants us to be space ninja. Kunai,Hikou,Kama,Odonata,Skana,Nikana,undetected state,spy & deception missions, Ash...Just Ash. Steve's interviews...

They try to. It's just that a ninja operates on the battlefield but also & mostly in the shadows. ("Shinobido")

You can check the Bansenshukai or the Shoninki if you're still not convinced.

Please add Stealth DEEEE...

A ninja (忍者?) or shinobi (忍び?) was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, and open combat in certain situations. - Wikipedia

Ninjas are always shown in movies and T.V. shows as silent stealthy killers. In reality most ninjas never even looked like what youd expect, many were farmers and workers and woiuld often work in the areas they ninja'd in. In other words you dont need to look like a ninja to be a ninja.

Finally some people who understand more then the Hollywood train wreck idea of a ninja. Thank you speaking up. If you look at The definition from wiki (posted by Zillarezko) don't the mission type line up pretty well with it?

Finally some people who understand more then the Hollywood train wreck idea of a ninja. Thank you speaking up. If you look at The definition from wiki (posted by Zillarezko) don't the mission type line up pretty well with it?

The historic version is also why it doesn't bother me that we are using explosive weapons like Ogris and Penta. The historic ninjas loved blackpowder. They were famous for using to gain a tactical advantage.

It seems you forgot how to read fully before replying.

Or how to reply with an actual useful post regarding your opinion on the mater.

Oh, I read the whole thing. You've disregarded the opinions of others, and presented your own opinions as facts.

I fail to understand how people can say that the early designs that are much more simple and have a mystical, alien vibe to them fit in with the abominations we get these days. Its not even an opinion (the fact that they fit between themselves, not that I like the early designs more) up for debate. Its like saying orange is a cold colour and throwing it in the same box as blue. Or wearing beach sandals with a formal suit.

~snip~

I am sorry that you feel so easily offended.

Ignoring your very incendiary language, what you have noted here is a shift in design. For good or ill is a matter of opinion, something you seem to disregard.

But as I noted earlier the visual themes of the early warframes can only go so far before we end up with just variations of excalibur designs. Additionally as was pointed out in another thread more recent warframes represent a shift in development process. While early warframes were all conceptualized visually in large batches with themes and abilities being applied afterward, more recent warframes have their themes and abilities established first with visuals being created afterward to suit the theme.

With both of these points in mind it should be no surprise that we're getting more radical design elements in new warframes, it's a more focused integration of theme into the visual language of the warframe and a more marked attempt to give each warframe a very distinct visual appearance.

I do appreciate the earlier more simple designed warframes but if they were all this way I do think I would be quite bored of their design with none of the more bizarre and exotic designs to contrast. 

As for your example, I for one find Ash's coloration horrendous and have to paint him all one color to get a decent appearance out of him.

Guys, one thing to consider is what it's like designing warframes on DE's end. Warframes are bio-mechanical combat suits, Excalibur sets the starting point for this style. Now using the basic aspects of Excalibur's design you now have to design warframes that visually fit within different archetypes. And thus you get a burly one for tanky Rhino, a more ornate one for supportive Trinity, etc. Now fast forward about 15 warframes and you're having to stretch farther and farther and include more ostentatious design elements and themes to avoid the cool new warframe being "Excalibur #16" in appearance.

Tolerence can be reserved for frames like Rhino or Trinity who dont come off as a big joke and dont really clash with the look honestly, but when you throw mister tophat and tux into the mix, youre pushing things.

This is thelamest copout and biggest strawan Ive read on the matter. BTW.

"Derp me no have no cweativitee less I get tophat, sturff be like Excalba otherwize. "

Tolerence can be reserved for frames like Rhino or Trinity who dont come off as a big joke and dont really clash with the look honestly, but when you throw mister tophat and tux into the mix, youre pushing things.

We're still not really sure what opinions are, are we?

Oh, I read the whole thing. You've disregarded the opinions of others, and presented your own opinions as facts.

And you've disregarded my earlier comment.

Tell me why you disagree with me regarding as to why the newer frames actually fit in with the earlier designs.

I have pointed out how Ash and Hydros don't fit in the same theme while specifying that my preference for the early designs is an opinion.

Or are you merely attempting to flame me?

Ignoring your very incendiary language, what you have noted here is a shift in design. For good or ill is a matter of opinion, something you seem to disregard.

But as I noted earlier the visual themes of the early warframes can only go so far before we end up with just variations of excalibur designs. Additionally as was pointed out in another thread more recent warframes represent a shift in development process. While early warframes were all conceptualized visually in large batches with themes and abilities being applied afterward, more recent warframes have their themes and abilities established first with visuals being created afterward to suit the theme.

With both of these points in mind it should be no surprise that we're getting more radical design elements in new warframes, it's a more focused integration of theme into the visual language of the warframe and a more marked attempt to give each warframe a very distinct visual appearance.

I do appreciate the earlier more simple designed warframes but if they were all this way I do think I would be quite bored of their design with none of the more bizarre and exotic designs to contrast. 

As for your example, I for one find Ash's coloration horrendous and have to paint him all one color to get a decent appearance out of him.

I still believe it would have been possible to maintain visual diversity between warframes without going with over-the-top themes that we are getting these days.

While some of the second generation warframes respectively Valkyr and Necros do somewhat fit in nicely and successfully integrate their theme with the whole "bio-organic murder machine" idea, I find all the other lacking in quality and instead of getting the same treatment as the other warframes all inspiration and originality is brushed aside and replaced by an intense accent on their ability themes that gives them a downright cartoonish  appearance.

And even with the over the top accent on the warframes ability theme they could have gone with better inspiration than pirate for a water frame or goat weird goat-deer hybrid for a paladin frame(wat?).

I also still honestly fail to find my language inflammatory. Are people on these forums seriously that easy to offend?

Edited by Cabadath5

And you've disregarded my earlier comment.

Tell me why you disagree with me regarding as to why the newer frames actually fit in with the earlier designs.

I have pointed out how Ash and Hydros don't fit in the same theme while specifying that my preference for the early designs is an opinion.

Or are you merely attempting to flame me?end?

Flowing organic curves, smooth sections embedded with textured areas, designed to evoke a certain theme. Yeah, Hydroid and Ash both fit fine. The aesthetic hasn't really changed much, though rendering has become slightly more detailed.

The problem is that you treat your own opinions as facts. Just because you think Ash is pretty does not make his design objectively better, as you're claiming it does. And just because you don't like Hydroid doesn't make his design objectively worse.

Flowing organic curves, smooth sections embedded with textured areas, designed to evoke a certain theme. Yeah, Hydroid and Ash both fit fine. The aesthetic hasn't really changed much, though rendering has become slightly more detailed.

The problem is that you treat your own opinions as facts. Just because you think Ash is pretty does not make his design objectively better, as you're claiming it does. And just because you don't like Hydroid doesn't make his design objectively worse.

Bla bla bla -- these days. Its not even an opinion (the fact that they fit between themselves, not that I like the early designs more) up for debate. Its like saying orange is a cold colour and throwing it in the same box as blue. Or wearing beach sandals with a formal suit.--bla bla bla

And look who did not actually read my whole post. Case closed.

Seriously, you don't understand what an opinion is. 

Edited by EetNotErn