The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Cpu Load Spike

KosherSchnitzel

After U15, I've noticed Warframe would stutter when launching the game or finishing a mission, so I started looking at what was happening as this has never happened before. Apparently upon both events, my processor cores begin running at or near 100% (with Warframe taking up 70-80% of the total load)! After letting the game run for a few seconds, the CPU load drops and the lag vanishes (with Warframe only taking up about 9% of the CPU total).

I've tried Optimising the game cache, uninstalling/reinstalling on different HDDs (before I realised it was the CPU spike), unparking CPU cores, and disabling/enabling DX10/11. Nothing seems to fix the issue, and only Warframe seems to cause it.

PC Config:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

AMD FX 8350

AMD Radeon R9 280X (HIS)

24 GB of RAM

Windows 8.1 64bit

CPUwarframeU15.jpg

What on earth are you running in the background? From your specs, you should NOT be having spikes like that.

Anything like Skype can cause spikes from the network and such, but I can't think of a reason for a CPU like that to be having issues :/

From what I can see, you have quite the processes in the background, and Warframe is VERY system intensive.

Edited by QuasarDecimari

What on earth are you running in the background? From your specs, you should NOT be having spikes like that.

Anything like Skype can cause spikes from the network and such, but I can't think of a reason for a CPU like that to be having issues :/

From what I can see, you have quite the processes in the background, and Warframe is VERY system intensive.

I have those spikes too, ever since 14.9 I can't run warframe anymore because of these stupid spikes. And before you say it, NO, I don't have anything running in the background and my specs are close to his.

Nothing really intensive in the background. I have several Chrome apps, Skype, AMD Raptr Recording, and whatever ASUS decided to run for the Motherboard. My system idle is usually at or below 20%.

Update: While I was typing this, I decided to start messing with Raptr since that has caused odd bugs in other games and figured out what was causing the lag. It turns out Raptr's Replay feature was causing lag (looks like it was fighting Warframe for CPU usage at launch). However, though the lag is gone, Warframe is still dominating my CPU with 98% total load (Raptr Replay pushed it up to 100%). My lag issue is solved, however Warframe being a CPU hog is still present and concerns me.

Nothing really intensive in the background. I have several Chrome apps, Skype, AMD Raptr Recording, and whatever ASUS decided to run for the Motherboard. My system idle is usually at or below 20%.

Update: While I was typing this, I decided to start messing with Raptr since that has caused odd bugs in other games and figured out what was causing the lag. It turns out Raptr's Replay feature was causing lag (looks like it was fighting Warframe for CPU usage at launch). However, though the lag is gone, Warframe is still dominating my CPU with 98% total load (Raptr Replay pushed it up to 100%). My lag issue is solved, however Warframe being a CPU hog is still present and concerns me.

Great! Glad I could help. Warframe will probably always be a CPU hod, depending on how high the settings are.

I run the game on an i7 8 Core CPU, and the max it takes away from me is about 30-40%.

Might be an issue to send a ticket in for.

Edited by QuasarDecimari

I have the same problem since U15, CPU spikes at 100% for a few seconds every load, after login, after returning to mission, when finished loading a mission and entering it, even when starting to load a map.

All loadings takes longer than usual and while loading pc is freezing near the end of loading a map, any map and sometimes i have huge fps drop to lower 20's fps while in mission no matter if i am the host or client.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem since U15, CPU spikes at 100% for a few seconds every load, after login, after returning to mission, when finished loading a mission and entering it, even when starting to load a map.

All loadings takes longer than usual and while loading pc is freezing near the end of loading a map, any map and sometimes i have huge fps drop to lower 20's fps while in mission no matter if i am the host or client.

This is an issue I'm having, too. List of things I've done to fix it, too. One, defragged my computer. It was at 1% fragmentation but after the update I'm sure that the 1% was specifically Warframe...  Two, installed a fresh copy of the game outside of Steam and shut down Steam completely. Three, made sure my CPU cores weren't parked. (Spoilers, they were.) For a while after that it worked well... Ish... But then there was a small patch this morning and now I can't load missions without the CPU spiking to 100%. During missions or just idling about it's fine. But God help me if I want to load anything.

Sitting at mission select; 25 to 50%... Seems to hover near 40 to 45% most of the time. No idea why it varies so much.

Loading screen starts; drops to 20% during black then spikes upwards towards 70 to 80%. Loading completes, CPU tries to die...

Transitions to cutscene of ship flying to mission; CPU levels drop down until next transition. CPU tries to die again...

Character standing in the void's cut scene as it fades in from white. CPU doing ok until right as I'm about to gain control of the character. CPU tries to die, again... Completely freezes... And stays there... For a while...

Mission ACTUALLY begins; 65% CPU usage, 60fps... Levels off near 70%.

Mission continues; In a heated firefight, I saw the CPU usage spike towards 80%, but it held at 60fps. No notable issues.

Mission ends; transitions quickly to my ship. CPU usage dips to sub 30 then moves up to 40 after a bit... Continues to drift upwards until it levels out at that normal 40 to 45% at mission select.

Ok DE. I think I know where you've messed something up. The transition from loading screen to cut scene, to cut scene, to actually controlling the player. Those three gaps? Those are the places where CPU usage spikes! Why is that? (This is also the point where I'm disconnected from most public games with other people in Warframe.)

I don't think system specs matter at this point. My rig isn't nearly as powerful as OP's and it tries to die, too. This is clearly not an issue of hardware but of software.

Edit; Ok, ok... One system spec that does actually matter in this case.. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. The issue isn't confined to just Windows 8.

Edited by Riasiru

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this same issue and I have a 3rd gen i7, there is no reason that this game should be using that much power from the CPU. Also it is only Warframe that has this issue, every other game I own runs at max 40-50% when loading.

-Edit-

I am also noticing a huge spike in RAM usage while the game is running. (Even while idling on the liset.)

Edited by Reidmaster

I think this issue may be to do with the PBR that DE added to the game recently, it's a fairly new technology so I'm guessing it's not fully fleshed out yet. I have this exact problem as well, but my CPU spikes when loading things like, different warframes, weapons, videos (including the syndicate cut scenes), and other peoples warframes. The thing that I find most interesting though is that I know people who don't have the problem, or its nowhere near the severity of mine, and their PC's are quite a bit older than mine. I appreciate other people creating posts because I think the more we know about this issue the better. But I think it's up to DE to do something about it. I hope its soon because I enjoy shooting back when I get shot at right at the start of the mission (when I'm still getting 2 FPS XD).

• 1 month later...

I have this issue too. during loading screens and the first 15-30 seconds after entering a mission my entire computer (not just warframe) will lag considerably, even freezing for double digit seconds. I have a second monitor for looking at wikis or watching a stream usually, which I can see freezing as well, but the problem persists even when I have everything turned off, whether in fullscreen, borderless, or windowed mode.

Whatever is causing this seems to also be my only source of connection problems while playing as well. The only times I ever disconnect from sessions is when first loading into a mission.

I have a 3750k OC'd to 4.5ghz, 16gb RAM, and dual 7950's, so the problem is definitely not because my rig isn't powerful enough

Slightly related: There's been many instances where the initial lag/freezes is often the cause of me dying before I can properly control my character >=[

Same issue here with Warframe eating up ALL the cores to the brim. I managed to somehow make the issue go away by checking the game's cache with Warframe's launcher but if I quit the game and then hop back in it's gonna start doing the same thing again.
The game always ran fine before ( i7 860, 16 GB of RAM DDR3 1333 Mzh, HD 6970 2 GB ) but apparently since the latest update ( AKA just a few days ago ).
SO it seems there's definitely an issue this time around and DE is the only one who can fix it.

Edited by ItalianDragon

My brother seems so be affected by, apparently, the same issue or something close enough. This happens when playing in a squad, as well as when playing alone, like he usually does, and on any program transition period. His CPU load spikes all the way to 99% (doesn't go 100% because Windows itself doesn't allow it), then it drops to normal levels (around 20~50%). The game stalls for a minute or 2 during the following transitions:

- Launcher to Login (Initial loading screen)

- Login to Liset

- Liset to Subsystem and vice-versa (Arsenal, Mods, Foundry, Codex, Market, Navigaion)

- Liset to Mission (initial loading screen)

- On mission, Liset approaching target

- On mission, At the very start and/or deployed from Liset on planet surfaces/solar rails

- On mission, randomly stalling for 10~30 seconds when destroying stuff (enemies, containers, etc.)

- On mission, when receiving new transmissions

- On mission, when Extracting (initial phase)

- From mission to Liset (initial loading screen)

... If he keeps playing, the cycle practically starts over again and again until he playing something else. This issue doesn't seem to be affecting some Multi-Core computers (like mine... or it may be affecting it but its such a beast that its barely noticeable), but its seriously affecting Single-Core computers... I know, they ARE old but they still exist and outnumber Multi-Core users... Pretty much like Windows XP...

------- Off-topic ----------

As an off-topic (and I know its not usual for it but I think its related), the game randomly stops responding and the CPU usage sinks to a completely unrecoverable 0%. The user must restart the program him/herself if he/she wants to keep playing the game. This can happen in any part of the game, including the Liset and "loadings". This issue affects both Multi-Core systems as well as Single-Core systems, and its permanently happening on Single-Core systems when running any non-Quest Archwing Missions.

Hope my post contributes for solving it.