Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bolt-Action Rifle?

Towermice

I was thinking a bolt-action rifle would be a nice addition.I like the snipetron but it's just too silent for me.Some stats:

Damage=135

Fire rate=11.5

Accuracy=10

Clip size=6 (along with a fairly long reload)

Maybe it could be mastery rank locked(rank 3)?Please post your thoughts.

Edited by Towermice

35 more damage then the sniper rifle kinda pushed this into the realm of overpowered, also I'm assuming you intended the fire rate to be 1.15 or similar? 11.5 is basically a fully automatic weapon. Personally I feel the sniper rifle needs some work the clip size is a brutal setback for it and a little silly from a realism perspective. Also the larger clip size basically turns this into a huge upgrade from the sniper rifle. Is part of what you are looking for is improved sound effects on the existing sniper rifle?

Make it 150-175 damage, make the fire rate about .5 (it is a bolt action). Have the magazine be 5. Done, you have your sentry cannon to replace current Snipetron. Buff Snipetron's magazine to about 6-8, buff the magazine mod. I can see this working.

The only issue this new weapon would be extremely situational, but at least it would let you drop ancients

Edited by mmSNAKE

Make it 150-175 damage, make the fire rate about .5 (it is a bolt action). Have the magazine be 5. Done, you have your sentry cannon to replace current Snipetron. Buff Snipetron's magazine to about 6-8, buff the magazine mod. I can see this working.

The only issue this new weapon would be extremely situational, but at least it would let you drop ancients

I think this could work, frankly in this game a lot of what makes a gun good is how many rounds in a clip and how many round total, speaking of which, the total number of reserve rounds for the sniper weapons should be significantly higher in my opinion.

I think this could work, frankly in this game a lot of what makes a gun good is how many rounds in a clip and how many round total, speaking of which, the total number of reserve rounds for the sniper weapons should be significantly higher in my opinion.

*Magazine

Yeah, no bolt action rifles please. They wont be used in 30 years let alone 300.

Railgun, Laser, Particle cannon, Heavy Bolter, Gyrojet, Plasma caster, etc. so many sci-fi weapons you can choose from, why settle for a relic?

And we still use swords and Bo staffs. Argument invalid.

Yeah, no bolt action rifles please. They wont be used in 30 years let alone 300.

Railgun, Laser, Particle cannon, Heavy Bolter, Gyrojet, Plasma caster, etc. so many sci-fi weapons you can choose from, why settle for a relic?

Bolt action rifles not used?

For any sort of long range shooting people don't use gas operated semi-automatic/automatic rifles. They use bolt-action rifles. They are more accurate. Please don't speak gibberish when you don't even understand what you are talking about. Unless in the next thirty years people find a way to create a portable coilgun or railgun, bolt action rifles will sure as hell be used. Even then, who knows how the weapon would operate.

False equivalence. The Tenno have the raw strength to cut through a 7-8 foot tall man wearing enough armor plate to bomb-proof a humvee, and you think that somehow means low tech is better? 

With upcoming advances in Carbon Nanotubes, real life power armor will be at least 200 times as strong as a human, 50 times as fast as a human, and 20 times more resistant to bullets than kevlar. The Tenno are far more advanced than we are, that's probably peanuts to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_applications_of_carbon_nanotubes

http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechnology/artificial-muscle-stronger-121115.htm

It's Science fiction, have some imagination.

Yeah sure, they are strong enough for it. That matters squat in terms of game balance and purpose. Having Twin Lex, would be dumb. Lex is a designated accurate hand cannon. Giving you two of these is silly and sort of defeats the purpose of the gun. This isn't Lato, Bolto or Viper that you can just shower the enemy with shots.

Not to mention how absolutely insane this would be with Banshee's Sonar, for something that isn't even a main weapon.

Yeah sure, they are strong enough for it. That matters squat in terms of game balance and purpose. Having Twin Lex, would be dumb. Lex is a designated accurate hand cannon. Giving you two of these is silly and sort of defeats the purpose of the gun. This isn't Lato, Bolto or Viper that you can just shower the enemy with shots.

Not to mention how absolutely insane this would be with Banshee's Sonar, for something that isn't even a main weapon.

I think you may be in the wrong thread. This is about bolt action rifles.

Bolt action rifles not used?

For any sort of long range shooting people don't use gas operated semi-automatic/automatic rifles. They use bolt-action rifles. They are more accurate. Please don't speak gibberish when you don't even understand what you are talking about. Unless in the next thirty years people find a way to create a portable coilgun or railgun, bolt action rifles will sure as hell be used. Even then, who knows how the weapon would operate.

I know exactly why bolt action rifles are currently used.

-fewer moving parts, which means easier maintanence, greater ruggedness and few (if any) jams.

-semi-automatic rifles are gas operated, bleeding of a small amount of the bullets propellant. That decreases velocity, and therefore accuracy.

-autoloaders are looser than manual actions, further decreasing bullet velocity.

-cheaper

-institutional momentum

This is a sci-fi universe with the energy density required to have energy shields, pew pew energy guns and anti gravity pets. Railguns and lasers are only too big to be man portable in real life because they need huge generators. Clearly the Tenno have small enough generators to have such weapons.

I know exactly why bolt action rifles are currently used.

-fewer moving parts, which means easier maintanence, greater ruggedness and few (if any) jams.

-semi-automatic rifles are gas operated, bleeding of a small amount of the bullets propellant. That decreases velocity, and therefore accuracy.

-autoloaders are looser than manual actions, further decreasing bullet velocity.

-cheaper

-institutional momentum

This is a sci-fi universe with the energy density required to have energy shields, pew pew energy guns and anti gravity pets. Railguns and lasers are only too big to be man portable in real life because they need huge generators. Clearly the Tenno have small enough generators to have such weapons.

Then why would you so surely extrapolate the future? Same thing as people in 50s saying we should have flying personal vehicles by now.

Regarding lasers, I'm pretty sure that's coming in the future updates and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Railgun either.

I'm not extrapolating 60 years into the future. I'm talking prototypes we have right now.

Look, I'm just saying I don't think a bolt action weapon fits the tone, aesthetic, or technology level of the setting. The niche of slow, accurate, powerful rifle is better filled by a more setting appropriate weapon.

Edited by ValhaHazred

Yes, when wielded by super strong space ninjas. It fits within the established universe and makes sense within it's internal logic.

The Tenno are superstrong, so it's best to make weapons that can take advantage of that.

If their strength enhancement is only equal to modern CNT, they could manage a bow draw weight of 15,000 kg! Granted the arrows should look more like a drill bit because fetching is going to do nothing at the kind of speeds a superstrong archer can manage.

That doesn't even take into account the electromagnetic acceleration it has in its lore.

Edited by ValhaHazred

What fits with the universe isn't fully objective. To me a Musket energy gun would fit. Why not  a bolt action rifle? A pump action rifle? A lever action rifle? Any manual mechanic rifle would fit as long as you dress a gun up accordingly. Hell we even have Pump action weapons don't we? Bolt action aren't much different from that. They are both manually operated.

True. It's not objective at all and entirely up to the devs. We are just arguing over opinion but that's fun, isn't it?

As for pump, none of the shotguns are. They even mentioned that in the last livestream. The sound artist made a mistake when he added a racking noise.

Edited by ValhaHazred