Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Trolley Problem

Brimir

What I meant to say is that unless you are Superman (who is more than capable of catching up to and grabbing the trolley cart off the track, saving everyone) it isn't really fair to blame your inaction in this scenario. Especially if you consider the negative side effect of pulling the switch.

If you could prevent any and all deaths (like Supes) then, but only then, would I agree with you that one could be responsible through inaction.

What I meant to say is that unless you are Superman (who is more than capable of catching up to and grabbing the trolley cart off the track, saving everyone) it isn't really fair to blame your inaction in this scenario. Especially if you consider the negative side effect of pulling the switch.

If you could prevent any and all deaths (like Supes) then, but only then, would I agree with you that one could be responsible through inaction.

I get what you mean now, and I understand where you're coming from.

Perhaps nobody would blame me for not acting, perhaps there would be no legal consequences, and that stance can be justified in many ways. Each of us has a different set of beliefs or moral values that shape our decisions, and I don't think one is "superior" to the other; I pick my own values, make my choices accordingly, and face the consequences. In my personal mindset, failure to prevent a greater damage is still doing a wrong, and what others would do in such a case, or think of me in the aftermath, is not as relevant.

I gotta say, discussions like these are magnetic for me.

I get what you mean now, and I understand where you're coming from.

Perhaps nobody would blame me for not acting, perhaps there would be no legal consequences, and that stance can be justified in many ways. Each of us has a different set of beliefs or moral values that shape our decisions, and I don't think one is "superior" to the other; I pick my own values, make my choices accordingly, and face the consequences. In my personal mindset, failure to prevent a greater damage is still doing a wrong, and what others would do in such a case, or think of me in the aftermath, is not as relevant.

I gotta say, discussions like these are magnetic for me.

Or we could kill all of the men down that rail. 

At least dead bodies are easier to clean up than broken, living wrecks. 

(...) In my personal mindset, failure to prevent a greater damage is still doing a wrong, and what others would do in such a case, or think of me in the aftermath, is not as relevant. (...)

Agreed.

Also at least here it's a crime if you don't help someone involved in a car accident, for example. Doesn't matter what lead to that accident, but if you witness it, it's your function to help (at least calling an ambulance). If someone following all see you going away they can report you.

I would probably be deep in thought about moral dilemmas and find out that I was thinking too long and everybody died. Then I would pick up pieces of the wreckage and beat up the last worker because I was already responsible for all the other deaths, so why not?

Someone with the same mindset as me, it seems (the 'killing everyone' part, not 'stuck in thought about moral dilemmas'). 

difficult to say, if it were up to only my mind I'd say I wouldn't do anything,

but in a hypothetical in person situation I might act on impulse/reflexive/cognitive inconscious consciousness/blsjqfoijdqf

which would maybe make me push the switch.

otherwise if I don't have much time I would be paralysed while pondering about the situation, with time to think I would probably do nothing either, while keeping the impulsive possibility...

I pull the switch, rather have only see 1 person haunting me for the rest of my life than a multiply amount. Walking away would without a doubt haunt me more though. 

What if you instead had to push a really, really fat stranger onto the track in order to clog up the wheels of the trolley with his corpse in order to stop it?