The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question: Is A Macro Cheating?

securitywyrm

With the recent warning about 'hacking' the game, I'm wondering if anyone has clarified if macros are considered cheating. Macros come built into a lot of keyboard and mouse setup programs now, especially gaming keyboards and mice.

I currently use Autohotkey with a macro bound to the mouse4 (thumb button) that rapidly clicks the left mouse button. This lets me shoot rapidly on my semi-auto gun. Is this, according to the rules, 'cheating'?

Generally simple macros like what you mention are not considered cheating by auto detection programs so I would not worry. Now as far as the argument of them technicaly being a cheat is up to debate among players. 

I am more curious to DE's position, some people can feel what they like.

Auto banning someone who uses a macro is stupid and practically never done alongside being dificult if impossible to accurately detect since it simply registers normal input, make more sense? Macros have been commonplace for a very long time. 

Edited by Drev

Auto banning someone who uses a macro is stupid and practically never done alongside being dificult if impossible to accurately detect since it simply registers normal input, make more sense? Macros have been commonplace for a very long time.

I know AVA's AC autobans if it detects a software macro, and you can be banned if someone finds evidence of hardware macros too, but that's because a core game mechanic is rapidly single-firing the weapons in the game, and macros could bypass that.

A macro to make the Latron shoot like a Grakata is cheating, because that can't be done by normal means. Macroing sprinting and sliding to gain significant amounts of speed over other players is cheating, as that cannot be done normally. And that was taken care of recently, sliding now has a cool-down.

If it's for convenience, if it's something that can be done without a macro, go for it.

Edited by FatalX7

A macro couldnt make the weapon fire faster than the fire rates, so its a safe bet. Cool. Anyone know macro codes? I just need one that says if ipress and hold left click to contiue firing, if single press, single shot.

If no one knows or would rather i look it up I will, I am just not in a place to do so right now, jsut askign because we are here and chatting.

A macro to make the Latron shoot like a Grakata is cheating, because that can't be done by normal means. Macroing sprinting and sliding to gain significant amounts of speed over other players is cheating, as that cannot be done normally. And that was taken care of recently, sliding now has a cool-down.

If it's for convenience, if it's something that can be done without a macro, go for it.

When I played ME3 multiplayer, there was a similar discussion to this...

Hitting max rate of fire on a semi automatic weapon technically can be done by normal means, provided you can click fast enough - it's possible. Doing thisfor an entire mission, though, will absolutely destroy your wrists unless you have a macro.

A macro couldnt make the weapon fire faster than the fire rates, so its a safe bet. Cool. Anyone know macro codes? I just need one that says if ipress and hold left click to contiue firing, if single press, single shot.

If no one knows or would rather i look it up I will, I am just not in a place to do so right now, jsut askign because we are here and chatting.

I'm not using my AutoHotKey atm due to the recent patch notes, but heres my (toggleable) setup :

EDIT : Removed it, if it turns out to not be accepted by the devs I don't wanna be banned for sharing.

Edited by Solanius

I just need one that says if ipress and hold left click to contiue firing, if single press, single shot.

I'm... not sure I understand this... I'll go with two responses just in case.

One response: You can already do that with some weapons... you hold the button down and it keeps firing, you press it once and it doesn't keep firing...

Second response: Each weapon was specifically designed and intended to have a certain fire rate... The Latron was intended to be a semi-automatic and the Grakata was intended to be fully-automatic, not both or one way or the other...

This subject is iffy, just like any other.

A wise man once said that you can't say anything in life without contradicting something else... I don't know who said it, but I know that I've said it, so I'm sure someone else said it before me. *edit* Hold on, why is it always a wise man? Why can't it be a wise woman, for once? Yeah, you know what? A wise (and beautiful) woman once said that!

Edited by FatalX7

I don't see the problem with using a macro as long as it is still humanly possible and within game parameters for such behavior. And by humanly possible I mean not just in speed or reactions, but also in thinking of someone that actually only has 2 small hands on a normal keyboard and mouse and is playing somewhat comfortably.

The devs opinions on that matter though....

i can do the sliding without macros  its not a cheat its a skill. If you cant do it its your problem.

i can do the sliding without macros  its not a cheat its a skill. If you cant do it its your problem.

The problem with this is that DE has already stated that it doesn't want one set of moves to make you faster than they designed. It's likely only a matter of time till "fix"

With the recent warning about 'hacking' the game, I'm wondering if anyone has clarified if macros are considered cheating. Macros come built into a lot of keyboard and mouse setup programs now, especially gaming keyboards and mice.

I currently use Autohotkey with a macro bound to the mouse4 (thumb button) that rapidly clicks the left mouse button. This lets me shoot rapidly on my semi-auto gun. Is this, according to the rules, 'cheating'?

It is considered as cheating no doubt about it, otherwise there wouldn't be point of semi-automatic choices. 

But on the good side, for you, there is no way you can detect macros, because, my guess is, they improved protection against Injectors (programs that attach to the process to change data). Macros are not injectors, there is 0% chance that it can be detected, unless Microsoft allows Warframe to sneak around your Windows to find a software that resemble a macro (Yeah right, like that gona happen)

Well.. There is a possibility that they could ban players that are sending unrealistic input, like clicking 1000 times per second. <- obvious macro. 

So, no, you won't get banned for that, but still you are gaining advantage over other people, that's still cheating. 

Edited by WingsOfGryphin

Funny thing is that only people that complain about dashing are those that can't do it :D

i am using more complicated combination, to take advantage of Flying Zoren Dash and ground dashing, i am still able to execute it. (I am using Single Dash technique and Block) W+Shift -> Ctrl [Hold]-> E -> F (my rebound block) -> Release and Hold CTRL. (makes a new slide) 

and i need to execute it in less than a second. It makes my fingers hurt if repeated too many times. But still it's considered a complicated combination, which needs practice to execute and even more practice to able to move on any terrain and control steering. 

But even then it's considered an skilled player's combination. If you can't do doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. 

It's like people don't want to put any effort and don't want other players to be better just because they put effort to it. All those whiners just want to make so that there is no difference between those that try and those that don't. Lazy bastards. 

Funny thing is that only people that complain about dashing are those that can't do it :D

i am using more complicated combination, to take advantage of Flying Zoren Dash and ground dashing, i am still able to execute it. (I am using Single Dash technique and Block) W+Shift -> Ctrl [Hold]-> E -> F (my rebound block) -> Release and Hold CTRL. (makes a new slide) 

and i need to execute it in less than a second. It makes my fingers hurt if repeated too many times. But still it's considered a complicated combination, which needs practice to execute and even more practice to able to move on any terrain and control steering. 

But even then it's considered an skilled player's combination. If you can't do doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. 

It's like people don't want to put any effort and don't want other players to be better just because they put effort to it. All those whiners just want to accomplish so that there is no difference between those that try and those that don't. Lazy bastards. 

No, its exploiting the engine. If you need to rely on it, that's your problem.

DE changed sliding because people were macroing it, gaining even more speed in the process. Unintended exploit made worse. That's not good.

Edited by FatalX7

I have the same problem, so i macro'd a key to help me hold the sprint button down.

If i get banned for that i would be very insulted considering i have given the company 60$+ so far