Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hunter/Hunted Missions?

MaguroPiano

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this post, but I have a suggestion for a mission type, possibly in the form of an alert.

So you're asked to take out some sort of creature, but the catch is the creature is hunting you too (Think dark rooms and flashlights, yummy!). This means the creature is quite tough and quite dangerous and very agile (perhaps give it pathways to escape and lurk around in that the warframes can't access and have it climbing on walls/ ceilings). I'm thinking it'll be the size of the hyena (that's the small one right?).

The level might be accompanied by some basic infected, just to get in your way every now and then.

It'd be a great way to get a mission type that got your blood pumping abit.

The problem is you wouldn't get much xp from killing just one enemy and you'd expect some great drop since it's alone and tough, so perhaps have several creatures to exterminate. I don't know, just came up with this :)

Feel free to toss in ideas!

The only problem I see is I'd just wait for it to come to me and plaster it.

If they do add hunted missions the thing you're supposed to kill would have to be invulnerable until the end of the mission, where you disable is shield or something.

even if it comes for you it can take damage. so it should use health regen thats a tough one, even at the end should use it so it will be hard to kill it by oneself should be team focused. the type of boss like in some mmorpgs it would be interesting :D

I've never like fights where you have to "unlock" the foes weakness by doing some other task, but I guess you're right.

Though another way would be having it play aggresively in areas where it can easily escape, and defensivly in areas where the warframes have the advantage, i.e spitting acid from the roof, calling in infected, then running away to another room, or repositioning itself and keep taking pot shots.

Then you would somehow figure out a way to lure it into an even battleground where you have a chanse to hurt it more than it hurts you.

The problem with this however is the level design. Since it's modular people would just figure out the places to go to get the creature out of defense mode. And I'm not sure if the AI would be powerful enough to be unpredictable over several runs.

Thoughts/Ideas?

If they do add hunted missions the thing you're supposed to kill would have to be invulnerable until the end of the mission, where you disable is shield or something.

I had the same first thought, but considered an alternative for the latter. OP mentions infested. Maybe you need to acquire chemicals or toxins or whatever to weaken the unkillable creature first. Could be retrieved from Data terminals like data masses are. So you'd be running to the multiple terminals while trying not to get horribly butchered. Get them all and a gas (or something) gets released that makes the monster killable. The stealth mechanics would need some work first, though. Man, it would be sweet to use Ash or Loki and sneak by or misdirect the monster if it gets in the way.

Not sure if it would be feasible, all things considered, but I'm really liking the idea.

EDIT: Maybe I'm making it too complicated now, but perhaps a team only alert where you each spawn in a different room? Make the monster too tough to kill alone, so you have to find each other first.

Edited by SwimmingRock

The first thing that popped into my mind when reading this thread was the hunter from Dead Space. To those not familiar with the game, the hunter is an enemy you can't kill, he will follow you through the level and attack you all the time, but you can cripple and slow him down.

Playing even a normal mission with something like that wouldn't be too much of a pleasure and sure be pretty intense.^^

The first thing that popped into my mind when reading this thread was the hunter from Dead Space. To those not familiar with the game, the hunter is an enemy you can't kill, he will follow you through the level and attack you all the time, but you can cripple and slow him down.

Playing even a normal mission with something like that wouldn't be too much of a pleasure and sure be pretty intense.^^

you mean the necromorph you have to put in the freezer?

I think an easy way to do this is to think of it as a multi-part boss battle. You run through a level as normal, but at set (or random) moments, the creature comes after you. After you do a set amount of damage, it turns invulnerable, flees, and you proceed. This damage carries over several such encounters, with your final objective (regardless of what the original mission was) is to kill it. You get a waypoint to a special area, and you fight the creature one last time, perhaps it has new abilities to compensate for the damage it has taken.

Kill it, extract, mission complete.

Or as a fakeout, the mission could 'end' before you kill it, and everyone hustles to the extraction point to find it waiting for you, and the escape pods are locked down because of the threat. Cue boss battle, and extract after its down.

if it is a infected type boss, why not make it heavily armored plate/scales or soemthing, we have to lure it/retrieve a canister of acid and then we would be able to damage it. just make to were we do 1-2s to it no matter what we use until we obtain the canister of acid. it deffently is a good idea and there will probly be multitude of ideas and opions about it but i would like to see something like this implimented at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this idea. For a robot-based version, you could have the theoretical super-prototype constantly recharging its rediculously OP shield via splicing into the power conduits near terminals, which means you have to fight your way to the reactor and destroy it before you can take down the robot for good.

What about a variation on an assassination mission where the target isn't super tough, as such, he will run from you at the start of the level like a pansy and you have to chase him or risk losing track of him or letting him escape, or some other mechanic where you have to follow a character/object throughout the level and keep up or fail.

That will not be the case if the hunter will be, you know, really strong, so direct confrontation will be pure suicide. With a lot of HP and high damage player will be forced to flee. And if the hunter will have no shields and no means of regenerating his HP, fleeing while trying to take some pot shots and/or hit-and-run tactics will be a viable way of fightin such opponent. This could be quite an interesting missions, if the balanced right.