Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns Fall Of Damage.

Dasmir

Question

the hek was TO  POWERFUL, i agree. but couldn't they just increase the cone of its pellets based on distance instead of just saying, hey its 4+ meters, 50%- dmg, hey its 15+ meters, -> 90%- dmg

No, the entire point of it was a smaller spread.

Rest in peace HEK. 

what do you mean rest in peace?

now its a real shotgun!...

I think

Edited by Guest

At this point if you aim on head with something like a HEK from a great distance and it kills the mob no matter of the pellets-theory. From a really big distance it should not....

But till it is thatway, it works fine.

HEK is still op, just learn to handle and yall oneshot pretty mutch most foes on the lower diffs.

these damage fall offs just dont make any sense.

EVERY weapon has damage fall off depending on the distance the bullet traveled. reallife assault rifles, snipers, shotguns. pistols, bow and arrow, crossbows. EVERYTHING looses kinetic energy the further it travels.

so we got shotguns now. they loose damage depending on the distance. i can agree with that. but only shotguns? short sighted change the devs implemented here. EITHER everything looses on effectivity at long ranges or none does.

IF you want to nerf shotguns my dear devs, increase their spread depending on the range. that would make sense. a shotgun that does -90% damage at about the length of a common room in this game is completely stupid.

EVERY weapon has damage fall off depending on the distance the bullet traveled. reallife assault rifles, snipers, shotguns. pistols, bow and arrow, crossbows. EVERYTHING looses kinetic energy the further it travels.

so we got shotguns now. they loose damage depending on the distance. i can agree with that. but only shotguns? short sighted change the devs implemented here. EITHER everything looses on effectivity at long ranges or none does.

IF you want to nerf shotguns my dear devs, increase their spread depending on the range. that would make sense. a shotgun that does -90% damage at about the length of a common room in this game is completely stupid.

I wouldn't compare realism in a game that is clearly not realistic.  Its a third person action shooter not a space ninja simulator. 

Yeah the damage falloff starts somewhat too early, and it doesn't make sense that only shotguns have falloff.

Rather than adding a falloff I wish they adjusted the spread cone instead, perhaps a somewhat exponential cone enlargement instead of the current linear one would work better.

The thing with that is, shooting pellets from a shotgun causes a more drastic dropoff than shooting one bullet from a rifle (at a time, anyway). The reason is that every pellet absorbs some of the energy, so each pellet isn't launched as powerfully than the rifle can shoot a single bullet. When the rifle shoots a bullet, that bullet absorbs all the energy of the shot, which is decidedly more than the energy of one pellet (out of 5?). Besides, rifles are, well, rifled, so their bullets spin, mitigating the wind resistance. Pellets have no such mitigation.  

From my experience firing shotguns IRL, the damage fall off does make sense. Shotguns are not sniper rifles. However, they can still be lethal at 40 yards effectively. The pellets spreading out over range makes sense as well since that's about what you can expect to happen.  I think the falloff could be tweaked and adjusted to be more reasonable than it is now and adjust the pellet spread to get a much closer feel for how a shotgun should perform.

Not to be the "whiner", but the Hek pretty much useless now. It loses 50% of it's damage at the same distance as a Rhino Charge. It's only 2 selling points are it's narrow spread and it's ammo efficiency. Good players don't need more ammo efficiency, unless you're using gorgons and twin vipers, you should be able to manage your ammo wisely. There's almost no point to the spread, now. It has the same effective range as it's Strun and Boar counterparts.

Not that I mind too much, I'm just going to start rocking my Latron, again. One-hit headshots pretty much everything, but it does call into question what the devs are thinking with the "Shotgun" nerf. I say "Shotgun" because the Hek is the only shotgun worse off from it, Strun suffers a little too at it's pre-nerf maximum effective range, Boar doesn't give no S#&$s, boar is a boss.

Not to be the "whiner", but the Hek pretty much useless now. It loses 50% of it's damage at the same distance as a Rhino Charge. It's only 2 selling points are it's narrow spread and it's ammo efficiency. Good players don't need more ammo efficiency, unless you're using gorgons and twin vipers, you should be able to manage your ammo wisely. There's almost no point to the spread, now. It has the same effective range as it's Strun and Boar counterparts.

Not that I mind too much, I'm just going to start rocking my Latron, again. One-hit headshots pretty much everything, but it does call into question what the devs are thinking with the "Shotgun" nerf. I say "Shotgun" because the Hek is the only shotgun worse off from it, Strun suffers a little too at it's pre-nerf maximum effective range, Boar doesn't give no S#&$s, boar is a boss.

I can still 1-shot all but the minibosses on Ceres at pretty much every range.  Overnerfed =/= useless.  From what I'd read on the forums, I came into the match expecting terrible things, but didn't even notice the difference until I tried to snipe a Heavy Gunner.

Extreme exaggeration helps nobody.

Edited by Shinnyshin

I can still 1-shot all but the minibosses on Ceres at pretty much every range.  Overnerfed =/= useless.  From what I'd read on the forums, I came into the match expecting terrible things, but didn't even notice the difference until I tried to snipe a Heavy Gunner.

Extreme exaggeration helps nobody.

I'm not sure how you're pulling that off, I've got a lvl 23 potatoed Hek with Frost@+45%, Fire@+60%, Shotgun@+60%, and Armor Pen@+75%. With all that I get between 6 and 12 damage on body/headshots against Grineer on Sedna(lvl 28 max). I didn't even realize a patch had hit until I saw people talking about the Glaive while I was scrolling through the forum for the best place to get Banshee BPs.

I came up with that Rhino Charge comparison because I was /on my Rhino/. I emptied half a clip into a guy at a reasonable distance, thought to myself "Well, apparently I've developed stormtrooper syndrome", rhino charged into his face and shot him again. At first I thought it was just my damage numbers messing with me and not showing up properly, but the patch notes confirmed my theory.

Rather than increasing the cone spread after a certain distance(Which is the solution pretty much the entire community came up with), they nerfed it's damage in a pretty heavy way. after 4-5 meters you get half damage, even with headshots that's not enough to oneshot most mid to high level mobs. After 8-10 meters(Estimating), you have absolutely zero chance of killing anything. At that point I'd sooner pull out my Twin Vipers and try to burst fire them in the face. Like I said, though. I don't mind, as I've said. Got plenty of other weapons to choose from, and hopefully they'll reconsider their options for bringing Hek in line with other weapons.

Hell, I'd totally pick up a special mod for shotguns that rolls back the damage penalty a bit. Sacrificing potential damage from your weapon mod pool for some range are the kind of decisions we should be making for mods, not "Alright, Corpus = Electric, Infestation = Fire, Grineer = Armor Pen, go go"