The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Jumping

Deidaku

If we want DE to start reworking parkour , jumping needs to be looked at imo

Doesn't it feel a bit sluggish and too delayed? i mean we're cybernetic bio ninjas who can parry bullets with a knife instantaneously  , but we jump very slowly and with a significant delay and poor responsivness

I suggest that some frames at least , get faster more responsive jumping to make them more suitable for parkour , and mobility  , (excal zephyr , nova, Nyx   ). and that the less mobile frames like Rhino( without vanguard of course) Frost, trinity  maintain the same jumping.

What do you think about jumping ? Should it stay the same? should it be improved? if so then how?

Edited by Deidaku

Zephyr has slightly increased jump height (as a side effect of her Zephyr Physics), Mirage has increased animation speed (rolls, flips etc.), and frame horizontal jump distance is directly related to movement speed, so this sort of applies.

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "more responsive"?

There also might be limitations in the player movement portion of the engine.

Edited by Kthal

I've been banging on about the fact that the jump function is flaky at best ever since I started playing the game.

To have a core movement function be so unpredictable is just incredibly frustrating, and makes the game feel clunky.

Whenever you try something flashy it kind of goes, wall run, spring, slide, shoot while sliding, jummm.... nope! Hit the low cover, stop dead in your tracks and break the entire flow of the move.

It is getting worse with the continued introduction of maps with more uneven floors, and I can only guess it is because for split seconds here and there you are not actually in contact with the ground as you bounce up and down surfaces.

The last time I raised this I suggested the jump script or whatever controls it needs some in built leeway.

In pseudo me code (if jump key pressed and toon <= 3 units above ground, then JUMP!)

If that is just not possible, give all the maps an invisible smooth navmesh on top of the geometry so we maintain contact.

Also, totally agree, when it does work it feels like a half second delay.

I would honestly be happy if an entire update was "Made the jump key work every time".

I've been banging on about the fact that the jump function is flaky at best ever since I started playing the game.

To have a core movement function be so unpredictable is just incredibly frustrating, and makes the game feel clunky.

Whenever you try something flashy it kind of goes, wall run, spring, slide, shoot while sliding, jummm.... nope! Hit the low cover, stop dead in your tracks and break the entire flow of the move.

It is getting worse with the continued introduction of maps with more uneven floors, and I can only guess it is because for split seconds here and there you are not actually in contact with the ground as you bounce up and down surfaces.

The last time I raised this I suggested the jump script or whatever controls it needs some in built leeway.

In pseudo me code (if jump key pressed and toon <= 3 units above ground, then JUMP!)

If that is just not possible, give all the maps an invisible smooth navmesh on top of the geometry so we maintain contact.

Also, totally agree, when it does work it feels like a half second delay.

I would honestly be happy if an entire update was "Made the jump key work every time".

Agreed. I think collision detection in general needs to get looked at when parkour changes start to be made. Any surfaces that are even slightly uneven cause a bunch of issues. The character also needs to actually react to collisions by slowing down or stopping. The fact that my character keeps moving has caused me to glitch and fall off of a level more than a couple of times.