The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dx11 32Bit Or 64Bit For Better Framerate?

kswong98

Question

So, I've been wondering, I have a 64BIT Windows 8.1, Intel i5, 4Gb RAM, 2Gb graphic(GT 730) laptop,
should I run Warframe in 32bit or 64bit?

Moreover, how to increase framerate? (You can ignore the statements above if you're answering this)

16 answers to this question

If you have optimus, try to force the Nvidia GPU, sometimes you might boot Warframe on your intel GPU (go in your nvidia control panel, and go in 3d settings >> set it to nvidia performance GPU)

Also, i think 64 Bit should be better, since it allows warframe to access more performance from your hardware 

You should also use Geforce Experience to optimise your graphical settings.

(If overclocking your system isn't an issue either, you could get 15-20% performance from your GPU)

Edited by Nero9937

Erm yeah I shut everything else down whenever I start Warframe

And what do you mean by IE? :/

I'm not very bright

I use it as Example and such and such. 

But yes, if you turn everything else off go 64 bit, Your laptop may get hot but that is normal.. Just don't over work it. 

I agree with RushedbyBlade here about running in 32 bit due to 4GB ram.  Depending on how new your gfx card is you may benefit lots from turning DX11 off and running DX10 only.

With regards to in game settings.  Turning off local reflections and most of the settings to medium solves all my performance problems on my laptop. (I'm running Intel HD4000 wahoo!) XD

Let us know how things work out.  Welcome to Warframe!  =)

If your CPU and OS supports 64-bit applications, run it in 64-bit. 

Although there probably won't be too much of a performance difference, the 64-bit version of the game seems to be considerably more stable.

When it comes to DX11 it's a different story. DirectX 11 is much more efficient when it comes to graphics calculations. If you have a GPU that is DX11 capable, you should try to run the game in DX11 mode for the best performance (you should see better performance than DX9 as long as you keep the same graphics settings and turn off DX11 effects like tesselation).

I just realised this:

People's normal way of thinking:

Lower down the graphics, close apps in the background, etc etc.

My way of thinking :

OVERCLOCK IT TILL IT RUNS FINE AT MAX SETTINGS MWAHAHAHAHAHA ! NO COMPRMISES !

(or wait for optimisations and firmware updates u.u)

I used to run warframe in 1080p on a gt 610 and a core 2 duo 2.4 on max settings at 50-60 FPS, overclocked the gpu by 40%... howcome so many people have framerate issues ?

I agree with RushedbyBlade here about running in 32 bit due to 4GB ram.  Depending on how new your gfx card is you may benefit lots from turning DX11 off and running DX10 only.

With regards to in game settings.  Turning off local reflections and most of the settings to medium solves all my performance problems on my laptop. (I'm running Intel HD4000 wahoo!) XD

Let us know how things work out.  Welcome to Warframe!  =)

What about Dx9 then :D

I just realised this:

My way of thinking :

I used to run warframe in 1080p on a gt 610 and a core 2 duo 2.4 on max settings at 50-60 FPS, overclocked the gpu by 40%... howcome so many people have framerate issues ?

Well, I never used to overlook this fps problem until I know Mesa's Peacemaker is directly related to it :/

What about Dx9 then :D

If the launcher lets you run in DX11, run it in DX11. This will yield the best performance.

If you can't run in DX11 but can run DX10, run it as it will yield better performance than 9 but less than 11.

If you can't run in DX11 or DX10, you're stuck with DX9.

For example, if you have all of the in-game graphics settings set to Low/Off, DX11 should/will yield the best performance at the lowest settings, followed by DX10 and then DX9. It's the same if all settings are high/on (excluding DX10/11 effects like tesselation, etc).

I just realised this:

My way of thinking :

Well you have to realize that not every laptop is designed with "overclocking headroom" in mind.  So just because it worked for you doesn't mean it'll work for the OP.

Regarding my suggestion for 64bit vs. 32bit.  it's a RAM thing and I believe with 4GB it may not be wise to go 64bit.  However, Letter13 IS in fact a computer engineer now  (is that correct man?) so yeah he's probably a bit more updated than I am.  It's just been a rule of thumb for me to run 32bit apps on systems with less ram, etc.

Edited by sushidubya

@Sushidubya

1 - Almost no laptop is designed with overclocking headrooom, it's your job to create one... (cooling pad, re-pasting, custom heatsink extensions, etc.)

2 - 64bit also improves multiple core management, and with recent events (warframe issues on 32 bit) Letter13 has a point when it comes to stability.

@Sushidubya

1 - Almost no laptop is designed with overclocking headrooom, it's your job to create one... (cooling pad, re-pasting, custom heatsink extensions, etc.)

2 - 64bit also improves multiple core management, and with recent events (warframe issues on 32 bit) Letter13 has a point when it comes to stability.

Well, I don't know if the OP is willing to open up his machine to modify it.  Maybe it's still under warranty and he doesn't want to void it yet.  (lol the first thing I did with my X230 Thinkpad is drop an mSata SSD drive and DDR3-2133 so the gfx memory is OC'd by 33%)  but yeah, not everyone does that sort of thing.

Again, with regards to 32bit vs. 64bit. it really depends on how much stuff the OP has running on his machine in the background.  He could check his task manager to see how much physical ram he has while he's playing on 64bit.  If he's still got lots left, then yeah go for it.  If his system is choking for memory and has to keep swapping to the hdd, then I think staying with 32bit helps, because when running 64bit things tend to take up twice as much ram.  That's my reasoning at least.

The great thing is that the OP IS in fact running Win 8 which has a great task manager that provides lots of info.

do not confuse bits and resolution. 

frame rate is how fast your machine can compute the drawing of the polygons and textures and lights and then display the rendered 2-d still image on the screen.

32 bit vs 64 bit is a combination of your operating system, cpu -- instruction set, libraries, and many things are affected by it.  

A 64 bit cpu and operating system runs 64 bit code better than it will run 32 bit code.  It is designed to do so, and the code is optimized for the target system. 32 bit machines will not run 64 bit code or OS.    

To improve your frame rate, you can look at a variety of things to do. 

1) reduce resolution.  If you are drawing 1900X1200 or whatever resolution, your machine must compute (fill in from 3-d information) a 2-d image that is over 2 million  pixels in size !!!    Each pixel is at least 4 bytes (red, green, blue, and transparency or lighting value, the final byte can be used in a variety of ways).  That is, over 8 million bytes of information.   Not much in today's terms but its nothing to casually dismiss either, its a lot of data.   If you ran in 800x600,  you would use only 2 million total byres instead of 8 ..  4 TIMES less work for your system, at the cost of graphics quality.  Bottom line... running at the lowest possible resolution is one of the biggest things you can do to improve frame rate. 

2) get rid of some special effects.  Lights, shadows, animated textures, mirror reflection surfaces, and other eye-candy can be eliminated to reduce the computations needed to produce each frame. 

3) Use lower quality textures.   Mapping images onto surfaces is computationally expensive because the images have to be rescaled, pixel by pixel.  The more pixels in the image, the more it costs but the better it looks.   Lower quality textures, if that is a game option, will  help. 

4) this is the funky one... but are you *sure* the problem is actual frame rate and not some other problem?  A slow hard disk or bottlenecked CPU or flaky network connection can all produce similar effects in game, all falling under the description "lag" but producing effects similar to a struggling graphics card.   I do not know if WF will let you see the current FPS in-game, but if it does, put that up and play with setting until it is at least 30.  Above 30 fps is fine.  Below 20 is annoying and choppy.  Below 10 is absolutely unplayable for an action game. 

Yes, u can see the fps,it's in the settings

I should look in there someday.   Have not had a need to do much to this game, it runs great for me (and my machine is several years old...  it should run on any half decent machine given the age and performance on my old rig).