The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Single Click Firing For Semi-Auto Weapons Needs To Go

TehJumpingJawa

If you have auto fire on semi auto weapons, they aren't semi auto anymore. They are auto weapons with a slow firing speed.

If you don't like semi auto weapons, don't play with them. This game made the decision to use the design element semi-auto/full-auto. Deal with it. The fact that you have to click for each shot is an important design element of semi-automatic weapons. It distincts them from full-auto in another way than just fire rate, accuracy and damage per shot.

If you have auto fire on semi auto weapons, they aren't semi auto anymore. They are auto weapons with a slow firing speed.

If you don't like semi auto weapons, don't play with them. This game made the decision to use the design element semi-auto/full-auto. Deal with it. The fact that you have to click for each shot is an important design element of semi-automatic weapons. It distincts them from full-auto in another way than just fire rate, accuracy and damage per shot.

The problem is that some players may desire the stats that the semi-auto guns have on them. Some players just like slower-firing, harder-hitting weapons. In other games, this allows the player to fire precise shots one at a time, or hold down the mouse button for slower continuous fire. In this game however, players are restricted to the first option which when seen from various points of view contradicts the point of the game being a fast-paced space ninja shooter dungeon crawler.

I personally agree with the OP. Semi-autos need the ability to be fired continuously by holding down LMB. This is especially problematic with the akimbo pistols as to utilize their heightened fire rate one needs to click repeatedly, which is not pleasant.

As for the argument that semi-automatics are not, well, automatics, please do consider that most shooter games do allow semi-autos to be fired continuously by holding down the LMB. Most of them even allow single shot weapons to be fired instantly after reload animation is finished if you hold down the fire button. This is the case for a good reason: clicking the mouse repeatedly is terrible for one's finger and mouse.

The problem is that some players may desire the stats that the semi-auto guns have on them. Some players just like slower-firing, harder-hitting weapons. In other games, this allows the player to fire precise shots one at a time, or hold down the mouse button for slower continuous fire. In this game however, players are restricted to the first option which when seen from various points of view contradicts the point of the game being a fast-paced space ninja shooter dungeon crawler.

I personally agree with the OP. Semi-autos need the ability to be fired continuously by holding down LMB. This is especially problematic with the akimbo pistols as to utilize their heightened fire rate one needs to click repeatedly, which is not pleasant.

As for the argument that semi-automatics are not, well, automatics, please do consider that most shooter games do allow semi-autos to be fired continuously by holding down the LMB. Most of them even allow single shot weapons to be fired instantly after reload animation is finished if you hold down the fire button. This is the case for a good reason: clicking the mouse repeatedly is terrible for one's finger and mouse.

I believe semi-auto should stay as it is or it just won't be semi-auto. Just wait for a gun that is full-auto but has similar specs to semi-auto (obviously gonna be weaker) OR just post a suggestion to get the people knowing about what you desire to be out.

There ain't a need to change functionality of weapons JUST because you want it to suit your convenience. It's like wanting a cheapass 99 cents (if there is any) can opener that functions like a high-tech automated can opening machine.

It has nothing to do with Modern Military Shooters...the definition of "semi-automatic" means that the weapon has an automatic feed system but requires the user's input to fire each shot. One click, one trigger pull, one bullet.

There is absolutely no reason to call a weapon semi-automatic if it does not do this. 

... and yet 9 out of 10 shooters do not implement semi-auto in this way. Stop and consider why that is.

On that we agree; the behaviour is purely a design decision.

A design decision that I disagree with because it becomes unwieldy with weapons like the akbolto.

I believe semi-auto should stay as it is or it just won't be semi-auto. Just wait for a gun that is full-auto but has similar specs to semi-auto (obviously gonna be weaker) OR just post a suggestion to get the people knowing about what you desire to be out.

There ain't a need to change functionality of weapons JUST because you want it to suit your convenience. It's like wanting a cheapass 99 cents (if there is any) can opener that functions like a high-tech automated can opening machine.

Please do understand, right now the akimbo pistols such as the akbolto and aklato are really unwieldy to use due to this mechanic. If anything, an exception on akimbo guns would be nice as their selling point is not precision shots nor high power; it's their pseudo-automatic rate of fire.

If you make a semi-automatic automatic...what's the point of calling it semi-automatic?

there isnt but there is little point to a semi-auto gun that dont hit like trucks. if clicking gets to the point that it will cause strain , something is wrong with the gun.

Please do understand, right now the akimbo pistols such as the akbolto and aklato are really unwieldy to use due to this mechanic. If anything, an exception on akimbo guns would be nice as their selling point is not precision shots nor high power; it's their pseudo-automatic rate of fire.

They're not unwieldly, they're OP as F*** because of it.  It allows them to justify higher base damage since the rof is more player dependent.

there isnt but there is little point to a semi-auto gun that dont hit like trucks. if clicking gets to the point that it will cause strain , something is wrong with the gun.

You don't have to click at the max rof.  If you are, that's a decision you're making, not the game.

Edited by Aggh

It's the constant preference battle of power vs volume. You either have something that spits out a ton of bullets, or you have something that, as you put it, hits like a truck. Semi-automatics, while more often on the side of power, can bridge the gap between the two. Fast-firing semi automatics may (and often are, from personal experience) strain the finger and wrist, but the offset is usually that they have more damage or accuracy than an equally fast firing automatic counterpart. This allows for better DPS to those who are willing to put up with the strain.

That very fact makes hold-fire macros unfair, why bother juggling between strain and time to kill when you can have both? It creates an unfair metagame to high volume automatic weapons and high power semi automatics.

There was a previous suggestion in this thread to add a slow firing, high hitting, automatic weapon into the game. I for one LOVE the idea, so long as it's balanced with either recoil or lower accuracy.

Borderlands 1 and 2, Dead Island, or any of the zillion Call of Duty games all let you use full auto on all guns.  No need to click over and over.

Or possibly I'm wrong.

Like the OP.

You're wrong.

There are semi-auto only weapons in both borderlands 1 and 2. And all Call of Duty games (yeuch) except for the latest one have dedicated semi auto weapons. 

They're not unwieldly, they're OP as F*** because of it.  It allows them to justify higher base damage since the rof is more player dependent.

They're not OP. I'm carrying TWO guns. I get DOUBLE the damage. Basic maths. 

It also takes me TWICE the blueprints, TWICE the credits, and TWICE the resources to make. 

Edited by 11.11.11

They're not OP. I'm carrying TWO guns. I get DOUBLE the damage. Basic maths. 

It also takes me TWICE the blueprints, TWICE the credits, and TWICE the resources to make. 

Cost and realism arguments don't change the fact that they're OP.

Agreed with OP - definitely needed for dual pistols.

They may have lowered the base fire rate on akbolto/aklato, but in practice you still use them just like automatic rifles - tap for ranged shots, maybe, but mostly maxing out the fire rate at close quarters.

And no, akbolto/aklato are NOT OP, not even close. Dual pistols have tiny clip sizes compared to automatics and painfully long reloads, which greatly reduce their DPS as "automatics". Plain (damage * fire-rate) is NOT an accurate representation of practical DPS, whether it's against bosses or swarms of weak enemies. If you think they're OP, you probably haven't used them.

Also, they fire much slower than their advertised fire rate. I just tried crazy-clicking (~30 clicks per second, should max out the 10.0 fire rate) with my Akbolto and holding down with my Boltor (advertised fire rate 8.6), no fire-rate mods on either, and Boltor fired noticeably faster.

A design decision that I disagree with because it becomes unwieldy with weapons like the akbolto.

Wouldn't it actually be that you want them to remove zoom and add a left-hand firing function? Then it would seemingly justify the weapon usage. That way, you can speed up your shooting by firing both left AND right independently.

Also, note when you take a datamass and fire a single-handed high-RoF gun where if you were to do that on a normal un-ak/twin version, it doesn't work that way. Funny.

1: Bind your mousewheel to fire.

2: Scroll calmly while targeting enemies

3: ?????

4: PROFIT

Yet another workaround for a poor design choice.

It really isn't that challenging for the devs to add an auto refire timer, a la Half Life 2's pistol.

You then have two usage scenarios; click spam when you want to unload your clip as quickly as possible, click&hold when you want a steady stream of shots.

:edit:

Though tbh I think click&hold should simply give max fire rate so macros/scripting are irrelevant.

Edited by TehJumpingJawa

OP, if you want the support of more people, you might want to state that it will be optional.

Many people, including myself, are already used to the concept of pressing the left mouse button as the gun's trigger and a semi-automatic weapon does not fire off the second shot until you release the trigger and press it again.

If what you are suggesting is optional (can be turned off or on in the settings), this suggestion is actually worth implementing and will not affect people who are already used to the normal mainstream firing controls.

You're totally off. Semi-auto weps are never auto fire. It's not a poor design choice, it's the RIGHT choice.

Next: Name your 100 games that classifies semi-auto weps that automaticly fires. You said you knew 100s

Dude.... I'm at 150hours, many maxed weapons, frames & mods. Suffice to say I know how to play the game.

Buy a @(*()$ machine gun then... :(

You know how to the "the game" 

You dont know how to play "a game"

Im outta here. Last time i check this post.

You're totally off. Semi-auto weps are never auto fire. It's not a poor design choice, it's the RIGHT choice.

Next: Name your 100 games that classifies semi-auto weps that automaticly fires. You said you knew 100s

It'd be easier to name ones that aren't; most major 1st or 3rd person shooter franchises have manual or semi-auto weapons that fire repeatedly by simply click&hold.

Doom,Quake,Unreal,Half-life,Halo,Rage,GTA,Just Cause, Red Faction,Metro 2033, the list is almost endless.

Edited by TehJumpingJawa