Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gamepad Gameplay

tastycakes5

hello, i just recently started using my xbox 360 controller to play warframe and i have grown to like it alot. the only issue i am having is that i cannot seem to add a key to switch pov sides. for example when i hit the "H" key during mouse/keyboard play it switches sides. it would be nice to be able to switch views for corners on the fly with the controller.

I, too, use a 360 gamepad. It feels right for the most part, but I'm really bothered by the melee combat controls. Slashing will attack in the direction the camera is facing rather than in the direction your character is, which threw me off for a loop the first time I tried it. This isn't just a problem because it's unusual; it's a problem because my gamepad does not have five shoulder buttons:

1. Fire

2. Aim

3. Use power

4. Block

5. Melee

Currently, I've sacrificed block and put it on a face button, and am really only able to use it when running in a straight direction. This is problematic as it's intended to be used to traverse long distances against gunfire. Blocking only works in the direction you're moving while melee only works in the direction you're facing the camera, and I'd really like to switch these around so that I can retreat while blocking and perform melee attacks with the face buttons. I understand that mouse/keyboard users would still like to slash in the direction of the camera, but an option for switching melee to be more gamepad-friendly would be nice.

ok, I believe I have figured it out. I must have overlooked it, there is a button you can map the option to change your view lol that's just me being impatient and rushing through the available actions you can map. I mapped it to d-pad up. which is not all that convenient but it is the only place that would not make the gamepad uncomfortable.

Another thing is that platforming is somewhat problematic with gamepads. Apparently, in order to jump from wall to wall, I need to face the crosshair towards the wall I'd like to jump towards? How am I supposec to be moving the right stick when I'm using my right thumb to hold down sprint and jump at the same time? I can't very well replace fire, aim, power, block or melee. Some options that need to be implemented for the sake of gamepad friendliness:

-Have melee and wallrunning depend on where the user is moving rather than facing.

-Add a button for centering the camera behind the player, allowing for quick turns.

-Add a button to toggle aiming in addition to the button that needs to be held for it. This releases an ever-important shoulder button for, say, blocking.

-This isn't gamepad specific, but blocking really needs to work in the direction the camera faces rather then the direction the player is moving.

Edited by Zeddypanda

You will notice that, apart from asking for a toggled aim button, I didn't breathe a word about gunplay controls. Those are fine and I headshot with my pistol from long distances with no trouble.

You're free to back up your statement, is what I'm saying.

Edited by Zeddypanda

You will notice that, apart from asking for a toggled aim button, I didn't breathe a word about gunplay controls. Those are fine and I headshot with my pistol from long distances with no trouble.

You're free to back up your statement, is what I'm saying.

keyboard and mouse is a superior control method for any presion activity. thats why play shooters on Pc over a console.

the fact that i deride your terrible choice in gaming is natural

/pc_master_race

shooter + game pad = fail......

With all due respect to the mouses superior speed and precision...

It isnt required in warframe to play well. A decent game pad user can go through any content currently in warframe.

So until we have content that requires the level of speed and prescision only found with the mouse people can use whatever they want without holding you back. 

Now, if we are done with the unsolictied gamepad vs mouse debate lets get back to the actual topic.

shooter + game pad = fail......

i agree with you to an extent. fps + gamepad is a fail due to precision, but if it were a 3rd person like this i would have to go with gamepad. yes the controls for warframe on gamepad are not that well balanced atm but i believe they can be improved.