The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Critical Chance Mods Are Effectively Useless

Webly

This also makes crit damage mods super useless. Ash smoke screen is supposed to give guaranteed crits,but it only increases red crit damage. The yellow numbers are just a damage buff

i think smoke screen grants red crits if you use charge atacks, and yellow crits on normal swings.

Disclaimer : I don't know for sure if i'm correct.

You might be looking for the word "reliable".

i heard a reliable screwdriver was more effective at screwing things

someone might think a reliable crit rate would be more effective at dealing damage

Edited by Soulfighter

The amount of misunderstanding simple math that goes on in this thread gives me a headache. Ugh. Suffice to say that Webly and Eurhetemec have a very valid point, and that some people can't understand the math behind their argument doesn't change that.

That's about as "polite" as I can put it.

I think a lot of people don't really understand the math involved here. Allow me to demonstrate it for you:

The Grakata has a 7.5% crit rate and does 200% damage on a crit. It has a base damage of 9. Thus on a crit it does 18 damage.

If you have a maxed-out crit rate mod for it, that's +150% chance, so 18.75% chance to crit. As a crit does 200% damage, that's thus a 9.375% increase to the damage you do.

That mod would take up 9 points, and would have cost a significant amount to make, in both credits and sheer number of mods used to make it.

For a 9.375% increase in damage.

Whereas you could get really any other damage mod, and get a far better result. A 9 point Piercing Hit mod is +60% damage (and does more against some targets). Even assuming the game rounds down and ignores fractions, that's an increase from 9 to 14 damage on every shot, which is thus going to be very close to well, a 60% damage increase - probably more in practice given many enemies are vulnerable to that damage type.

So I feel like it is quite misleading of DE to suggest that Point Strike (+crit chance) is a good mod for the Grakata. It's better than for some guns, but it isn't very good at all, objectively speaking. In fact, it's extremely poor bang-for-cost.

For the people saying "Oh we need EVERY weapon's crit rate before we can theorycraft", no, you do not. You need the outliers. We have the outliers. The math is extremely simple, as I hope I have shown (I can go into more detail if needed). +Crit chance mods in Warframe are a very bad deal in almost all cases. Even on weapons which have a good crit chance they tend to be a bad deal - a "filler" mod because they are cheap, rather than something you really want. It seems like in the entire game, only Snipetron, which is basically a fairly poor weapon, really benefits from +crit%, and even that isn't really enough to make it into a good weapon.

Several melee weapons COULD benefit from it, but the melee +crit chance mod is laughably small (+30% at max), rather than the +100% or more most weapons get (which would actually have some value beyond filler).

I agree that we need to see more details on the weapons. Given we have mods that modify such things as crit chance, crit damage, and reload speed, those should really be shown to the player. We don't need to know that to conclude the +crit chance is largely useless/filler for weapons other than Snipetron, though. If anyone disagrees, I'd like to see their math.

Good observation.

Well of course you are seeing more yellow, multishot basically makes you deal twice the damage with a chance to do three times the damage.

If you have 10 bullets with a 10% crit chance one of those bullets will be a crit, but if you use multishot then you will shoot 20 bullets, but 2 bullets will crit.

If multi-shot increased damage and not the number of bullets fired, you still would have dealt the same damage because the bullet that was supposed to be crit would have dealt double the damage, but you would have had higher number as opposed to more numbers but lower ones.

So the only reason you are seeing more crits with multishot is because you shoot more bullets, but there basically is no difference between an 100% multishot and an 100% damage increase except for the fact that you see more numbers with the first, but you see bigger ones with the latter.

... At what point in my post did I ever mention Multishot? I don't have a pistol Multishot at all.

Some, real numbers.

Braton Vandal

Base Damage 20.0
Base Firing Rate 9.4
Accuracy 33.3
Base Clip Size 45
Base Ammo Size 500
Base Critical Chance 7.5%

Base Critical Damage 150%

Braton Vanilla DPS: (20*9.4) + ((20*1.5)*0.075) = 190.25

Max mod slots: 8

Max Mod points (with catalyst): 60

Max Serration: +165% dmg; cost:14 (7-polarity); +dps = (20*9.4*1.65) + ((20*9.4*1.65*1.5)*0.075) = 333.47

Max Hellfire: +90% fire dmg; cost: 11; +dps = 181.89

Max Stormbringer: 90% el. dmg; cost: 11 +dps = 181.89

Max Cryo: +90% frost dmg; cost 9 +dps = 181.89

Max Multishot: +90% dmg; cost 15 +dps = 181.89

Piercing hit Rank 4: +40% AP dmg; cost 7; +dps = 80.84

Total cost: 60

Total mod DPS: 1141.87

Total DPS: 1332.12

Max crit mod +150% crit; cost 9

New Crit rate: 0.075+ 0.075*1.5 = 0.1875 (18.75%)

Remove Multishot, replace with Point Strike -> lower cost -> add Speed Trigger Rank 3

Vanilla DPS: (20*9.4) + ((20*1.5)*0.1875) = 193.63

Max Serration: +165% dmg; cost:14 (7-Polarity); +dps = (20*9.4*1.65) + ((20*9.4*1.65*1.5)*0.1875) = 368.36

Max Hellfire: +90% fire dmg; cost: 11; +dps = 200.93

Max Stormbringer: 90% el. dmg; cost: 11 +dps = 200.93

Max Cryo: +90% dmg; cost 9; +dps 200.93

Max Point Strike: +150% crit; cost 9 +dps = included in vanilla dps

Piercing hit Rank 4: +40% dmg; cost 7; +dps = 89.3

Speed Trigger Rank 3: +30% dmg (rate translates directly to dps); cost 6; +dps = 66.98

Total mod DPS: 1127.43

Total DPS: 1321.06

Total DPS difference: 11.06 (0.83%)

Conclusion: Multishot better by 0.83% 

Edited by Mietz

the amount of attitudes passed around here based on no great ability to translate these mechanics into meaningful equations is somewhat baffling. if anything the strength of crits comes from their multiplier being last in the damage equation, as qbert hints at (plus, qbert, enemy vulnerabilites add another variable to be multiplied...). which also means these mods rely on your weapon being already somewhat modded.

If you have a maxed-out crit rate mod for it, that's +150% chance, so 18.75% chance to crit. As a crit does 200% damage, that's thus a 9.375% increase to the damage you do.

[...]

If anyone disagrees, I'd like to see their math.

errr, first i'd actually like to see "your math" (equation/reasoning) not just some result. do tell how you arrive at 9.375%. by dividing the accumulated crit chance by two? because i'd start with getting the actual added crit chance which is 11.25% and since grak crits add 100% damage i'd also be finished with "my math" (you'd divide by two if crits added 50% like for most other weapons ;)).

Some, real numbers.

[...]

Speed Trigger Rank 3: +30% dmg (rate translates directly to dps); cost 6; +dps = 66.98

errr... just from a quick glance, these two modifiers apply to all damage sources (hellfire, stormbringer, cryo) not just serration/vanilla dps so whatever you want to prove here... (it's probably fine to include the crit chance into vanilla dps but it's too late for this here really, can't think that straight... but some numbers are really off... like, why don't you multiply crit damage for vanilla dps with fire rate? and why - reading your equation - do you have 100% normal shots and 7.5%/18.75% crit shots on top?) multishots probably also carry elemental damages, maybe not...

Edited by SlyBoots

the amount of attitudes passed around here based on no ability to translate these mechanics into meaningful equations is somewhat baffling. if anything the strength of crits comes from their multiplier being last in the damage equation, as qbert hints at (plus, qbert, enemy vulnerabilites add another variable to be multiplied...). which also means these mods rely on your weapon being already somewhat modded.

errr, first i'd actually like to see "your math" (equation/reasoning) not just some result. do tell how you arrive at 9.375%. by dividing the accumulated crit chance by two? because i'd start with getting the actual added crit chance which is 11.25% and since grak crits add 100% damage i'd also be finished with "my math" (you'd divide by two if crits added 50% like for most other weapons ;)).

errr... just from a quick glance: both of these modifiers apply to all of the damage sources (hellfire, stormbringer, cryo) and not just vanila dps as you seem to assume so whatever you want to prove here...

The equations are all there in my post, i removed them after the first example to just show the result as to avoid repetition.

Here:

(20*9.4*1.65) + ((20*9.4*1.65*1.5)*0.1875) = 368.36

(damage*rate*damage multiplier) + ((damage*rate*damage multiplier*crit dmg)*crit chance) = result

Speed trigger rank 3 is only displayed separate for readability.

If you want i can leave out the speed trigger and add its effects to the other mods which will result in exactly the same total, but it will confuse the S#&$ out of people.

Do these calculations yourself if you feel they are wrong, excel can do this pretty quickly.

Edited by Mietz

... At what point in my post did I ever mention Multishot? I don't have a pistol Multishot at all.

Yeah sorry, i misunderstood my mistake. Don't know why i thought that you said that you have multishot, but my point still stands that crit chance is the worst damage mod ever.

@ Mietz, didn't look over you whole post, but your calculus is wrong because elemental mods get more damage from serration and multishot doubles the damage from both serration and elemental mods. You didn't take into account any of these things.

So as it is on a weapon with 100 bullets, 10 damage per bullet, 10% crit chance and 9 free capacity, you will deal 1050 damage if 1 shot crits. If you use a maxed crit chance mod will take 9 capacity and you will get 25% crit chance so you will deal 1125 damage. If instead you put a multishot mod with a 9 capacity, you have a 60% chance to multishot, making 1600 damage and with a base 10% crit chance you will deal either 1650 damage if multishot doesn't crit or 1800 is it does.

Edited by Story4

Some, real numbers.

Braton Vandal

Base Damage 20.0

Base Firing Rate 9.4

Accuracy 33.3

Base Clip Size 45

Base Ammo Size 500

Base Critical Chance 7.5%

Base Critical Damage 150%

Braton Vanilla DPS: (20*9.4) + ((20*1.5)*0.075) = 190.25

Max mod slots: 8

Max Mod points (with catalyst): 60

Max Serration: +165% dmg; cost:14 (7-polarity); +dps = (20*9.4*1.65) + ((20*9.4*1.65*1.5)*0.075) = 333.47

Max Hellfire: +90% fire dmg; cost: 11; +dps = 181.89

Max Stormbringer: 90% el. dmg; cost: 11 +dps = 181.89

Max Cryo: +90% frost dmg; cost 9 +dps = 181.89

Max Multishot: +90% dmg; cost 15 +dps = 181.89

Piercing hit Rank 4: +40% AP dmg; cost 7; +dps = 80.84

Total mod DPS: 1141.87

Total DPS: 1332.12

Max crit mod +150% crit; cost 9

New Crit rate: 0.075+ 0.075*1.5 = 0.1875 (18.75%)

Remove Multishot, replace with Point Strike -> lower cost -> add Speed Trigger Rank 3

Vanilla DPS: (20*9.4) + ((20*1.5)*0.1875) = 193.63

Max Serration: +165% dmg; cost:14 (7-Polarity); +dps = (20*9.4*1.65) + ((20*9.4*1.65*1.5)*0.1875) = 368.36

Max Hellfire: +90% fire dmg; cost: 11; +dps = 200.93

Max Stormbringer: 90% el. dmg; cost: 11 +dps = 200.93

Max Cryo: +90% dmg; cost 9; +dps 200.93

Piercing hit Rank 4: +40% dmg; cost 7; +dps = 89.3

Total mod DPS: 1127.43

Total DPS: 1321.06

Total DPS difference: 11.06 (0.83%)

Conclusion: Multishot better by 0.83% 

Your math is all wrong

You forget a few things DPS is damage per second so reload speed actualy applies there that loweres the effective dps that speed trigger adds to your gun. Speed trigger is also in a diffrent spot of the formula than what multishot would cover its best to not touch speed trigger and add more points armor pen.

Seration adds to base damage and elemental damage scales off post seration damage. Multishot and crit scale after elemental. Fire rate scales after all that.

Braton Vanilla DPS: (20*9.4) + ((20*1.5)*0.075) = 190.25 is good. The fire rate should be at the right of the equation but it doesn't have any order of operations problems yet.

Now lets do it properly (Base* (1 +serration)) *(1+ sum of elemental damage) *(1+crit) * (1+multishot) * rate. the reason for all the 1+ in there is to keep the formula working properly when you have a 0 flat multiplitying 0 multishot times damage does 0 if you dont keep the 1 in there for base.

(20*1 +1.69) *(1+(.9+.9+.9)) (1+(1.5*.075) *(1+.9) *9.4

53.8 damage per bullet 145 elemental damage

199.6 damage per bullet *crit rate * multi * rate

222 damage average after crits

421.9 damage after multi

3965.9 dps

Well crap i forgot the piercing hit wthis is .4 more elemental damage

(20*1 +1.69) *(1+(.9+.9+.9+.4)) (1+(1.5*.075) *(1+.9) *9.4

4371 dps with the point strike

Lets throw those 3 points in to point strike yes its higher than what rifle mods allow but its just to make the numbers simplier. Speed trigger really messes with the calculations way more than needed.

(20*1 +1.69) *(1+(.9+.9+.9+.7)) (1+(1.5*(.075 *(1+1.5))) *(1+.0) *9.4

53.8 bullet damage 182.9 elemental

238 per bullet after elemental

304 damage average after crits

304 due to 0 multishot

2857.6 dps

Multishot is by far the best damage per shot buff now If its better dps wise you have to take into account combat time. Enemy hp and max ammo and reload speeds. Remember 0 ammo means 0 dps if you finish before you run out of ammo then ammo effency is no longer an issue and speed trigger starts to look good for dps. If theres a point of out of ammo then it loses effectiveness as it doesn't increase total damage done

oops typo

Edited by Meltina

lots of math

multi shot shoots a second bullet

oit would add 1160.62 dps not 181.82

for a difference of 1129.142 dps or nearly double that crit build's &!$$ awfull dps

beat to the punch

Edited by Geuax

no it isn't. fire rate has to be in both sides of the addition or the effect of crits is diminished to zilch. also the first half has to be multiplied with (100-7.5) because you don't shot 107.5% bullets (and 100-18.75 later...).

when you next go to a math clas ask what a commutative property is. damge/bullet * bullets/second= dps

/algebro

when you next go to a math clas ask what a commutative property is. damge/bullet * bullets/second= dps

/algebro

wtf? that doesn't even relate to what i'm saying. this really is futile...

an equation that'd make sense would read:

((damage * (100 - crit chance)) + (damage * crit multiplier * crit chance)) * fire rate = 195.05 (205.625 with maxed crit chance)

(meaning crit chance adds a whooping 10 dps instead of a measly 3... XD) and no, mietz's equation is no viable simplification of that (neither commutative nor associative nor distribute). i'm not going through the rest because reasons. (reasons like "/algebro"... XD)

Edited by SlyBoots

Ah, yet another crit thread. I'll keep this brief.

As others have tried to show, crit is terrible. This should simply be an accepted fact by now. Some have suggested making it additive, however, do you forget that Multishot is an additive chance of damage increase as well? Multishot is literally an additive equivalent to crit, and so making crit additive would only cause redundancy, not to mention it may quite easily boost damage far beyond what it should be when stacked together. Even then, Multishot is only good when it's reliable, the 100% mark, it still increases DPS prior to, and after that point, but that is the point where it becomes a perpetual increase, meaning a competent player can make use of that guaranteed damage to gauge their shots and avoid wasting ammunition.

Quite frankly, RNG on attacks does not belong in this game. This includes crits, multishot(in it's current form, at least), and stun mods. It would open up more mod design space if they were removed, as well as allow attacks to be fully based around skill, rather than random factors. When it comes to crit specifically, we already have critical hits in the original sense in this game, we call them headshots, or limbshots in the case of Ancients. Crits began as a simulation of striking vital areas, such as the head, and were used in Dungeons and Dragons and then in later games where aim wasn't possible and the entire game was based around RNG. Curiously, despite us moving away from RNG on jumping, dodging, spotting enemies, stealthing, and even stuff like massive damage, a mechanic where a high enough amount of damage has a chance to instantly kill even if it does not surpass your HP, games like this still cling to crits.

The way crit mods honestly should be, are mods that improve the damage against vital areas. For example, it could be made into a 10/20/30/40/50% damage boost to headshots, possibly with a trade off of somewhat reduced damage on body shots.

An example of a non random multishot, by the way, would be making it so that multishot always fires the extra round, however it would decrease your damage somewhat and the extra round would consume ammunition. In a sense, it would be a burst version of a fire rate mod. For example, this could mean changing your damage to 60/70/80/90/100%, which translates to a 20/40/60/80/100% damage boost, at the cost of extra ammo. This would balance it out, as it's a damage increase that boosts all other damage dealt, so should have a trade off, and this also removes all randomness associated with it.

An example of a non random stun, would be making the stun a guarantee on a vital shot, in other words headshot versus Grineer and Corpus, or a limbshot versus Infested. The catch is, it would have a cooldown on the same target, a buffer period to avoid perpetual stunlock. The part that would scale would be the actual stun effect itself, a scale of 0.5/0.75/1/1.25/1.5 second stun, with a cooldown period of 3 seconds after being stunned.

@ Xrylene, i really like some of your ideas. I have been thinking why multishot doesn't consume 2 bullets for 1 for a long time, especially considering the damage it deals. But if this was implemented the ammo capacity mod would need to be buffed i think, but even so it would be more useful overall.

I think that crits would be interesting if there was a chance that, when you hit a vital part, the enemy would instantly die, or at least deal much more damage. I think that for sniper rifles it would be good to have the enemy instantly die and for the other weapons just deal a massive damage.

For example at a 10% chance to crit, a pistol firing a bullet with 10 damage on a headshot, if it crits it should deal 50 damage, but if you hit any other body part nothing would happen.

Edited by Story4

@ Xrylene, i really like some of your ideas. I have been thinking why multishot doesn't consume 2 bullets for 1 for a long time, especially considering the damage it deals. But if this was implemented the ammo capacity mod would need to be buffed i think, but even so it would be more useful overall.

I think that crits would be interesting if there was a chance that, when you hit a vital part, the enemy would instantly die, or at least deal much more damage. I think that for sniper rifles it would be good to have the enemy instantly die and for the other weapons just deal a massive damage.

For example at a 10% chance to crit, a pistol firing a bullet with 10 damage on a headshot, if it crits it should deal 50 damage, but if you hit any other body part nothing would happen.

I didn't consider the ammo capacity mod when thinking about that, you're correct that it in turn could make it worth more by proxy, which is a good thing.

Personally, I'd rather avoid any randomness with crits whatsoever. In the case of your instant death on crit headshot, that's equivalent to the Vorpal effect from D&D, which autodecapitates enemies on a crit. It can be used against you, by the way.

Your other example is slightly more in line, but I must ask: "Why does it need to be random?" With my example of a damage boost strictly on a headshot, let's say you had a 100 damage weapon, with a 60% serration, and a 30% crit mod. This would result in 208 damage headshots, rather than the 160 you'd get from serration alone, so that's a 48 damage increase. On the other hand, said mod might reduce your bodyshot damage by half of the amount it increases headshots by, so in that example it would result in only 136 damage on a body shot, so 24 less. This encourages a tradeoff for players confident in their accuracy.

Hmm yeah your kinda right, it doesn't really need to be random, if the overall damage is similar. I just thought it would be an interesting idea, to make the crit be more high risk/high gain. You have a chance to deal a ton of damage only if you aim at vital parts and if you don't you will deal constant damage.

Constant damage is more reliable, but it is just less fun honestly. The way the current crit works i agree it isn't too good since you can just have a damage mod and deal more damage, but the crit system i proposed would make players aim for the vital parts more and reward the player who have a good aim much more than the ones who don't.

Actually i think both the mods can be implemented. Have a mod that increases damage by 60% on vital areas, but deals 30% less damage to the rest of the body(your idea if i understood it correctly) and have a mod that has a chance to deal very high damage if you crit when you hit a vital spot, but doesn't give you any other penalty since if you would crit on the rest of the body no extra damage would be done.

Hmm yeah your kinda right, it doesn't really need to be random, if the overall damage is similar. I just thought it would be an interesting idea, to make the crit be more high risk/high gain. You have a chance to deal a ton of damage only if you aim at vital parts and if you don't you will deal constant damage.

Constant damage is more reliable, but it is just less fun honestly. The way the current crit works i agree it isn't too good since you can just have a damage mod and deal more damage, but the crit system i proposed would make players aim for the vital parts more and reward the player who have a good aim much more than the ones who don't.

Actually i think both the mods can be implemented. Have a mod that increases damage by 60% on vital areas, but deals 30% less damage to the rest of the body(your idea if i understood it correctly) and have a mod that has a chance to deal very high damage if you crit when you hit a vital spot, but doesn't give you any other penalty since if you would crit on the rest of the body no extra damage would be done.

You realize my suggestion encourages targeting vital areas even more than yours, right? Your suggestion would be awful when it didn't proc, and possibly redundant when it does compared to mine. What I mean is, let's say that I use a maxed vital damage mod(my suggestion), and thus deal 60% bonus damage on a headshot. Headshots already deal double damage, meaning this will almost certainly one shot if you are accurate, but in exchange for reduced damage on bodyshots, meaning you must be accurate or pay for it.

Your suggestion suggests to aim for headshots and hope that the enemy instantly dies at some point. For one, this makes your idea useless or overpowered versus bosses, and two that lack of a guarantee means that you may waste shots if it randomly procs when you don't expect it to. Your idea also fails to address the point I'm trying to make. Crit, as a random stat, should be removed.

You realize my suggestion encourages targeting vital areas even more than yours, right? Your suggestion would be awful when it didn't proc, and possibly redundant when it does compared to mine. What I mean is, let's say that I use a maxed vital damage mod(my suggestion), and thus deal 60% bonus damage on a headshot. Headshots already deal double damage, meaning this will almost certainly one shot if you are accurate, but in exchange for reduced damage on bodyshots, meaning you must be accurate or pay for it.

Your suggestion suggests to aim for headshots and hope that the enemy instantly dies at some point. For one, this makes your idea useless or overpowered versus bosses, and two that lack of a guarantee means that you may waste shots if it randomly procs when you don't expect it to. Your idea also fails to address the point I'm trying to make. Crit, as a random stat, should be removed.

While i agree that the current crit is not very good, i think my suggestion is pretty good. It's just a matter of taste. I would actually enjoy using it on sniper weapons. And are you sure that headshots deal double damage and don't just have less armor in the case of the Grineer? Other than the bolt weapons which do deal double damage to HS i don't think that regular weapons do it, i think that enemies are less armored in vital areas and as such you deal more damage.

Edited by Story4

Actualy most grinneer take triple normal damage from head shots with differing armor amounts. Theres a sticky with enemy armor amounts on the general forums. The head takes 2x-3x damage of a body shot in most occasions.

Hmm indeed, headshot does triple the damage. I did a few mission on mercury with an unmoded lato vandal, it dealt 9 damage body shots and 29 damage headshot. Went on Saturn, 9 damage body shot, 27 damage headshot. I think it does triple the weapon damage and then account for armor, which i think is made from an percentage and not a fixed number. If on Mercury the armor had a 4% reduction in damage i think the system rounds it up to 9 damage per body shot and 29 damage on headshot and on Saturn it has a 10% damage reduction so it still does 9 damage per body shot, but does 27 damage on headshots.

Edited by Story4

Please buy a dictionary.

effective   
 Use Effective in a sentence
ef·fec·tive  [ih-fek-tiv]  Show IPA
adjective
adequate to accomplish a purpose; producing the intended or expected result: effective teaching methods; effective steps toward peace.

The more reliable the crit chance is, the more adequate to deal damage it is and to rephrase it once more : effective in accomplishing its primal purpose.

Stop wasting my time with irrelevant, ridiculous and false statements
Edited by Soulfighter

effective   
 Use Effective in a sentence
ef·fec·tive  [ih-fek-tiv]  Show IPA
adjective
adequate to accomplish a purpose; producing the intended or expected result: effective teaching methods; effective steps toward peace.

The more reliable the crit chance is, the more adequate to deal damage it is and to rephrase it once more : effective in accomplishing its primal purpose.

Stop wasting my time with irrelevant, ridiculous and false statements

its not effective because it dosent reliably increase damage over other mods.