Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Syndicate Sucks

Doozy84

One afternoon, after a hard 40 minute T4 survival of nothing but forma blueprints and fusion cores, with no signs of any prime parts they actually wanted, (or prime parts they'd just sell for ducats for that matter) our brave heroes, Cal and Trin went to the vesper relay to go have a much deserved hit of warm space sake to calm their nerves and forget about their horrible luck with the almighty RNGesus.

They were sitting in the bar eating sushi rolls when Trin said,

"You know Cal, I think all the syndicates are $&*^s."

"I dunno Trin, Synoid Gammacor and Vaykor Marelok are both pretty awesome." Cal shrugged.

"No, I don't mean the loyalty rewards, I mean their politics, I mean... They're all kind of jerks." Trin explained.

"Well I never really thought about that, I just looked at the rewards and made my decision based on the ability mods and sidearms I wanted most." Cal said.

"Do you ever get the feeling that we're not the good guys?" Trin asked.

"Of course not. We're the player race, the protagonists, the nameless cool guys that do awesome stuff. Its just assumed that we're the good guys, we're space ninjas." Cal explained.

"Yea, see... Well, its like you said, we just assume we're the good guys. And we're certainly better than the oppressive Grineer, the Machiavellian Corpus, and the all-consuming infested, but that doesn't really make us the good guys by default you know. I mean someone has an agenda. Don't you think just always doing what Lotus says is kind of... Suspicious?" Trin asked.

"But we're the good guys." Cal said, more to himself than to Trin. "We're space ninjas."

"So if we're the good guys, why are all the people we associate with $&*^s?" Trin asked.

"What do you mean?" Cal asked.

"I mean it doesn't add up. All these special interest groups that pander to the tenno, these syndicates... They're all kind of scumbags. You kind of get to the point where you wonder why there's so many scumbags in the universe, and how come they all want to give us free guns to do their dirty work? When did we become the garbage men of the galaxy? Are we really that deep into shades of gray?" Trin asked.

"Isn't that the book that Mag is really into?" Cal asked.

"Nevermind. Okay, what's your syndicate?" Trin asked.

"Steel Meridian. Need that Vaykor Marelok." Cal nodded.

"Right, and you know they're guerrilla fighters, right? I mean sure, they hate the Grineer and they're freedom fighters, but they're also kind of a radical fringe paramilitary group. Doesn't that seem a little... Murky?" Trin asked.

"Well if they're freedom fighters they must be good guys." Cal shrugged.

"It kind of depends on how they fight for freedom Cal, the ends don't always justify the means." Trin explained. "Okay let's try an easy one. What do you think of Red Veil?"

"Well they're allied with Steel Meridian so they must be alright." Cal said.

"They're allied with Meridian because they have the same goal- the complete annihilation of Grineer authority in the Empire." Trin explained.

"Punk Rock! Smash the system!" Cal cheered.

"Cal, they want to smash ALL THE SYSTEMS. They're textbook anarchists. The Grineer, the Corpus... most of the other syndicates... They want to hit the reset button on the whole solar system, and they don't care who they hurt or how they accomplish it." Trin explained.

"Sounds awesome. I want to do more dailies for them." Cal nodded.

"Cal, their methods are criminally insane." Trin said. "If you look up 'batsh*t crazy' in the dictionary, there's a picture of the Red Veil leader. They start fires in the space station. Space stations are full of highly concentrated and flammable oxygen."

"Ok whatever. What about the hippies then, the chicks hanging out in the frog pond, New Loka. They seem pretty mellow. What's their deal?" Cal asked.

"They're kind of suspicious too..." Trin said.

"Why? Don't they just hang out and have drum circles and stuff?" Cal asked.

"Cal, they want humans to rule. They're all about humans being in charge, not clones, not AI, not some weird alien intelligence." Trin explained.

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea." Cal shrugged.

"Well yea, except keep in mind who is deciding who does and doesn't get to count as human. That's a slippery slope. Do you know what that's called? Its called eugenics, and its kind of amoral. Really amoral. Like bad people get involved and then genocide happens bad." Trin explained.

"Cephalon Suda?" Cal asked.

"That's a computer. You want to trust humanity's fate to a sentient AI? It doesn't have emotions, Cal. It says it abhors destruction, but what does it create? It doesn't feel, it doesn't give birth. Its Shodan, its Skynet, its the Borg." Trin said.

"I don't know what all those things are." Cal said.

"Look, the only thing you need to know is that this is a science fiction universe, and every time humans trust a sentient machine in a science fiction universe, humanity nearly goes extinct. Those are just the rules." Trin explained.

"Perrin Sequence." Cal said.

"Money in politics. The end." Trin replied.

"Who's left, the Arbiters? Aren't they tenno? They must be good right, if they're tenno." Cal said.

"The Arbiters want tenno to be in charge." Trin explained.

"Well we're tenno, so-" Cal started.

"You already said that. And its not that simple. Every syndicate has the same rhetoric, they all say, 'hey buddy, things sure would be better if we were running this place, wouldn't it? Here's what we endorse, and here's our list of undesirables to be cleansed.' That's not utopia. That's not democracy, that's not even really politics... That's Hitleresque beer hall fascism." Trin explained.

"But if all the syndicates are morally and ethically suspect, and there's no right answer... And they all hang out around the tenno... What does that make us?" Cal asked.

"That's the point I've been trying to make to you all afternoon." Trin breathed a sigh of relief.

"Screw it. I'm just gonna get a vaykor marelok." Cal shrugged.

In the right section or not, finally someone who confirms my suspicions. But you know what? I have no problem with being an amoral mercenary, who doesn't care about anything, but getting the next piece of equipment, with which to cause pain and destruction. Come to think of it, we are all kinda' criminally insane.

I like to think that warframe is the type of story where there's mostly 3 type of people, 1. those that due whatever they can to stay alive,2. those that do what they think is right no matter the cost, 3. or the absolutely crazy.

The Tenno [at least if tenno in forums=tenno in game/lore] are a mix of all 3.

The Grineer are a mix of the crazy and do what ever is right.

The Corpus are mostly do whatever to stay alive.

The Infested is stay alive and crazy.

The Neural Sentry is just crazy [though doesn't recognize it]

Steel Meridian is Type 1. and 2.

Arbiters are Type 2.

Cephalon Suda is a type 3 in a special way.

Perrin sequence is also 1 and 2.

Red Veil is 2 and 3.

And New Loka is all 3.

Pick your poison, my poison is Steel Meridian, Cephalon Suda, Arbiters of Hexis, and Red Veil.

Im a 2 type of person, mabey with a hint of 3.

There is only the now, and the End. Choose the best end, and hope it works as plan.

Edited by Incrodon

Yes she does........ yes, she, does.

Also, trin, of course we're not the good guys, we're the hyper technology, mas-murdering, psychotics. The corpus work hard to feed there families, and we slit them into strips of flesh. ........ because loot.

This is pretty much what I've thought. However, unlike some people in games, if there is an option to be a bad guy, I automatically be as bad as possible. I kill civilians, I cause anarchy, and I stab people in the back. All in all, when I play video games where you can be bad, I'm evil. Which is why I hope the Lotus secretly is trying to destroy all life. Would be fun.

Gotta save all those innocents. Joined purely for lore reasons, but still had my doubts since they are allied with the Red Veil, but then, as someone from the forums said, they are pretty much tenno wannabes, we do exterminations all the time, we're no better than them. But yeah, not much can be said until we get more tenno backstory.