Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] "locked Squad" Or "invite Only" Option

RonanFrost

Currently we have the following:

Solo - Self explanatory

Online - Anybody can come/go with any type of playstyle (rushing, scouring, blatantly afk, etc)

Private - Good for locking out the public, but what about people on your contacts... or your Squadmates' contacts.. ?

Private is a Start...

+It leaves room for you to allow someone into group whenever they're ready to join. (perhaps they're modding something)

+It allows you to separate from the "online" pack, and run with only those you or your squadmates have on contacts.

+It allows you to Rush, or Take your Time, without impacting the "online" community.  (make note of this people. use it)

+Private is open-door, and more openly social than solo, without as much "risk of running into griefing" of whichever flavor it is that annoys you personally.

+We like the flexibility of the "private" group, and the ability to join on friends without requiring them to see a whisper, get to a safe place, and send an invite.

Private falls short, however...

-If you want to take part in whatever stealth we currently Do have available, you Have to be solo or full, lest someone ninja-join.

-If you want to take your time exploring a map with someone, or show them something, without having people come in and "screw it up" on you.

-If you don't want your friend's friend's friend's to get in group...

-If you're busy modding something, while your friend sits patiently waiting, or perhaps you're both COMPLETELY AFK and Their friend joins and ninja-clicks, they essentially hijack the group. (this leads into the broken/nonexistent "votes", but that's a different topic)

-There is no way to have a 2 or 3 person squad that you can know will stay that way.

-Currently, if you want to do anything that requires a controlled environment/group, you Have to find 4 people, or do it alone.

Suggested solution:

Another Squad mode - "Locked" or "Invite Only" - what you choose to call it is really not relevant.

Functionality:  Much the same as Private, with a couple obvious differences.

*Assembled before or at any point up to completion of mission objective.

*If someone attempts to "Join" on you, they get some form of error message "Group is locked" or some such...

*Getting into the group is only possible by accepting an invite.***

Potential hangup:  ***Invites are currently only showing up as an on-screen, clickable box, about a third of the time, as best I've seen. So this would need to be fixed first.

Notable gains over "Private":

*Allow squads<4 to pick apart maps and bug-hunt/explore/farm, if they choose.

*Allow squads<4 who want to "rush" to do so without being accused of "griefing".

*Would all but eliminate "group jacking"

-yes, you just abandon and reform, but it's yet another inconsiderate move that could be considered "griefing"

Now, I know there are already plenty of issues with hosting, connection, migration issues... and the list is rather lengthy. I don't code, and I know that not all things imagined are simple to implement... but is it possible that a 4th option would not only fill that small/controlled-group niche, but create an opening that will be needed for stealth later on, and possibly help clear up or at least help shed different light on some of the connection/hosting issues?

What are your (constructive) thoughts?    Would you use this?

How would you find it useful?   Should it just replace "Solo"?

Please, vote this up if you would use it. I'd like to see if this is something more than just a few of us would use.

Edited by RonanFrost

I've had a similar thought process for a solution to this problem, although its drastically different as well.

In detail, here's my idea:

A player has the 3 basic choices of course, that being "Online", "Private", and "Solo".

Should the player choose to play online, they then have the choice of whether or not to enter an existing party or to host their own game.

From there, if the player wants to join an existing party, they have a choice of which parties are open, each of which detail the number of members and ping, so as to circumvent joining laggy games. However, if the player chooses to host their own game, they can specify the title of the game (e.g. "Mat Farming", "Boss Rush", "Speed Run", etc.), and invite players or simply wait.

Private games would follow a similar format to online host, but have a "locked" symbol indicating the game is private, and only those that know the password or are personally invited may enter.

A "Ready" button may also be added, where the host may only start the game once everyone has "readied". However, if the host is afk or refuses to press start, everyone has the option of leave of course, but if a player refuses to ready after everyone else has, I'd imagine the host would have the power to kick, or a vote kick would occur after some time.

This allows players to "police" their own games, where rushers can play out their own games without annoying the rest of the community.

There should be 4 types of lobbies.

Online: the same

Solo: the same

Private: invite only

Friends-only: friends can join

But not only that, there should be a toggle that allows/denies friends of my friend (I'm calling this distant friends from now on). If I want to run duo with a friend, when I set a private lobby, no one else should be able to join without an invite. If it is a friends-only lobby, it should apply to my friend list, distant friends shouldn't be able to join.

I see you switching the names there... I thought the same thing with it. Private says to me "exclusive".

And as we all know and the last livestream will attest, there are plenty of couples who game together, regardless of whether the game or the relationship came first. This would give those couples peace and quiet when they want it. (two people using the game as their quiet thing to do away from the world = double income for DE?)

as i brought up earlier today.. even if they changed it so that if a squadmates' contact joined and ques unless you qued along with them a simple fix would even be as far as to only have the people that clicked wind up going in. that would be a fix for getting pulled into something when you don't necessarily want to... or they could implement a system that would allow you to be in an invite only group but if someone wanted to join you would get a pop up to either allow or not apposed to you needing to see a whisper and be in a safe spot to actually invite said person... idk just my 2 cents

a system that would allow you to be in an invite only group but if someone wanted to join you would get a pop up to either allow or not apposed to you needing to see a whisper and be in a safe spot to actually invite said person...

something that might be a great option, if implemented right.... everyone hates the skype call coming in while killing the boss. but a notification off in a corner similar to the group invite would be kinda nice.

I personally like the implementation described here. It accounts for most every contingency I can think of, and is a more streamlined system for both the "stealth crowd" and, erm, very private people. I like your suggestion of replacing it with Solo simply because it's functionality can double as a Solo mode if implemented as stated above.

More importantly, I thoroughly agree that there are other issues that take precedence to this one, however I would like to see this addressed at some point, and perhaps even a simple written acknowledgment of the idea soon :)

A stricter private setting would be greatly appreciate. It's always irksome when some random guy my friends played with once jump into one of our games when we're playing together.

As an aside replacing the solo with a more controllable private session isn't a good option as far as I'm concerned. I often play solo soley (heh pun) for the option to pause the action when I need to which you can't do in a private game. Removing that would mean I play the game almost not at all. Not because I'm butt hurt that they took away the pause mind you, but because I physically wouldn't be able to play with the health problems I have now.

edit: left out a word.

Edited by Drasiel

Currently we have the following:

Solo - Self explanatory

Online - Anybody can come/go with any type of playstyle (rushing, scouring, blatantly afk, etc)

Private - Good for locking out the public, but what about people on your contacts... or your Squadmates' contacts.. ?

Private is a Start...

+It leaves room for you to allow someone into group whenever they're ready to join. (perhaps they're modding something)

+It allows you to separate from the "online" pack, and run with only those you or your squadmates have on contacts.

+It allows you to Rush, or Take your Time, without effecting the "online" community.  (make note of this people. use it)

+Private is open-door, and more openly social than solo, without as much "risk of running into griefing" of whichever flavor it is that annoys you personally.

+We like the flexibility of the "private" group, and the ability to join on friends without requiring them to see a whisper, get to a safe place, and send an invite.

Private falls short, however...

-If you want to take part in whatever stealth we currently Do have available, you Have to be solo or full, lest someone ninja-join.

-If you want to take your time exploring a map with someone, or show them something, without having people come in and "screw it up" on you.

-If you don't want your friend's friend's friend's to get in group...

-If you're busy modding something, while your friend sits patiently waiting, or perhaps you're both COMPLETELY AFK and Their friend joins and ninja-clicks, they essentially hijack the group. (this leads into the broken/nonexistent "votes", but that's a different topic)

-There is no way to have a 2 or 3 person squad that you can know will stay that way.

-Currently, if you want to do anything that requires a controlled environment/group, you Have to find 4 people, or do it alone.

Suggested solution:

Another Squad mode - "Locked" or "Invite Only" - what you choose to call it is really not relevant.

Functionality:  Much the same as Private, with a couple obvious differences.

*Assembled before or at any point up to completion of mission objective.

*If someone attempts to "Join" on you, they get some form of error message "Group is locked" or some such...

*Getting into the group is only possible by accepting an invite.***

Potential hangup:  ***Invites are currently only showing up as an on-screen, clickable box, about a third of the time, as best I've seen. So this would need to be fixed first.

Notable gains over "Private":

*Allow squads<4 to pick apart maps and bug-hunt/explore/farm, if they choose.

*Allow squads<4 who want to "rush" to do so without being accused of "griefing".

*Would all but eliminate "group jacking"

-yes, you just abandon and reform, but it's yet another inconsiderate move that could be considered "griefing"

Now, I know there are already plenty of issues with hosting, connection, migration issues... and the list is rather lengthy. I don't code, and I know that not all things imagined are simple to implement... but is it possible that a 4th option would not only fill that small/controlled-group niche, but create an opening that will be needed for stealth later on, and possibly help clear up or at least help shed different light on some of the connection/hosting issues?

What are your (constructive) thoughts?    Would you use this?

How would you find it useful?   Should it just replace "Solo"?

You can also just add a feature to let you to Private/online and "LOCK" the group so no one else can join it unless you invite them I suppose.

You can also just add a feature to let you to Private/online and "LOCK" the group so no one else can join it unless you invite them I suppose.

lol, took forever to find where you actually said something there. yeah, that would be fine too. any way to make it so that it's possible to limit the group to 2 or 3 if that's what you want.

Some of the other feedback I'm getting, is that would also make it possible for people who have sub-par computers/connections to play with a friend without having lag from hell as well.

There should be a toggle that allows/denies friends of my friend (I'm calling this distant friends from now on). If I want to run duo with a friend, when I set a private lobby, no one else should be able to join without an invite. If it is a friends-only lobby, it should apply to my friend list, distant friends shouldn't be able to join.

Once you start a game you should be able to press ESC and bring up the same options you had before starting the match "Solo, Private and Online". That would solve a lot of things. One example, you're doing a Solo or Private mission and you're bored, its too hard or what ever. You simply select "online" so other people can join. Or, you're online and someone suggests we make it private, you could just open the menu and click private. I do not think going from online or private to solo is a good idea at all because it could be abused. You and 3 others fight your way to the end and the host clicks "Solo" and possibly boots everyone "host migration does not always work". Anyways, it does need some tweaks here and there. I wouldnt doubt they already have something in mind and are possible already working in it.

Some of the other feedback I'm getting, is that would also make it possible for people who have sub-par computers/connections to play with a friend without having lag from hell as well.

As one of the people with a sub-par system, this would work favorably for me.

SoloCreep, on 29 Apr 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Once you start a game you should be able to press ESC and bring up the same options you had before starting the match "Solo, Private and Online". That would solve a lot of things. One example, you're doing a Solo or Private mission and you're bored, its too hard or what ever. You simply select "online" so other people can join. Or, you're online and someone suggests we make it private, you could just open the menu and click private. I do not think going from online or private to solo is a good idea at all because it could be abused. You and 3 others fight your way to the end and the host clicks "Solo" and possibly boots everyone "host migration does not always work". Anyways, it does need some tweaks here and there. I wouldnt doubt they already have something in mind and are possible already working in it.

I totally agree with the idea of Online/Private(/"Locked"?) switching.

On an aside: An unfortunate thing that won't solve is that with the new change, if you've completed the objective, and your squad mate bails or crashes, or gets migrated to their own instance of the mission, you're hosed no matter what you do.

My concern at current, and focus here, is on being able to have 2 or 3 people in group, and keep it that way if you so choose.

The most common response i'm getting from people in chat is "dude, just go private" - but if people Like running with you because you're helpful, or they just enjoy playing with you, they join on you.

Don't get me wrong... I Love that ability. I Love the ability for your run to be open to friends like that. But sometimes you just need it kept to 2 or 3, and you can't guarantee that with "private".

Love the feedback here guys. Keep it coming.

I agree something needs to be done about it, i dont' expereince it too much myself as I actually play solo most of the time, i only group for some bosses and when i want to run a defense mission. I honestly like most of the sugestions putforth here, so I'm not going to weigh on one more than another just voice that I think it needs to be worked out, at least before full launch. Get this stuff working properly while its in beta!