The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Since 15.8.1 Drivers Crash Randomly.

TisEric

Title.

Mostly happens  right before an action is made, for example:

clicking a planet or alert on the star chart it hangs as if its about to do the thing and bam black screen , no signal , drivers crash and reboot , little error says no sufficient video memory or the evo engine crash screen.

i have 4 gigs of video memory fyi...

using gtx 970 latest drivers ~

using gtx 970 latest drivers ~

this might be your problem.

reverting to the immediately previous nvidia drivers seems to be solving some folks problems. (there have been a few threads about it)

i'm still using the current drivers, but i've noticed a performance drop.

DE might be a bit at fault here but also, Nvidia is becoming quite the moron in terms of power handling.

It's like it's written in stone : if your GPU reaches 100% use (no link with temperature, you'll see your temp is fine when playing), you'll get a game & drivers crash.

What the hell. The drivers can't handle the card at 100% now ?

The only solution that worked for me (concerning Nvidia, i also have a gtx970) is using Msi Afterburner and slow the card down.

Afterburner can change the card's voltage, power usage limit (i would suggest don't touch that if you don't know what you are doing), but the best is : you can downclock the GPU/memory so if your card reaches 100% usage, it's not exactly its manufacture limit.

Just dumb it down a bit, you don't have to cut its capacity in half, consider just a 5 to 10% tops.

Now the game still crashes RARELY but never related to card drivers crash (okay maybe once, i'm not sure).

Just try it, it's not dangerous to downclock.

• 3 weeks later...

this might be your problem.

reverting to the immediately previous nvidia drivers seems to be solving some folks problems. (there have been a few threads about it)

i'm still using the current drivers, but i've noticed a performance drop.

I thought that too, but it didn't work in my case. I used the previous drivers and the only difference was that I was crashing differently. One set just crashed the game and brought up the "Submit Report" window. The other mostly froze, drivers stopped working and displayed the Desktop and the graphics never returned for me.

I am also using a 970 GTX. Windows 8.1 and a Core i7.

I'm convinced it's the Evolution Engine and not the drivers. Every other game I've been playing since I started playing Warframe again has had zero crashes and zero graphics drivers stopped working and recovered issues. And it seems to be fairly recent as the OP's title indicates. I had no almost problems with this before either 15.7 or 15.8 either, at which time I was using the previous stable nVidia drivers, which going back to has not fixed my problems.

Edited by Ceryk