The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Memory Not Being Release After Closing Warframe

Grindgear

I've been noticing lately that since the Archwing update that my system is not reclaiming the memory used by Warframe after the game is closed. In fact, if I try to open Warframe a second time and then close without restarting the system I will be at a perpetual state of 90% RAM in use with negligible levels of CPU usage. Does anyone know of any sort of fix for this?

Quick Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)

Intel Core I5-3570 3.40 GHZ

8 GB GDDR3 Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 (Twin Frozr)

Here, try these steps and see if they work for you.

1. Press 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' and click "Start Task Manager"

2. Once the Task Manager has popped up in a new window, check to see if there is a "WARFRAME" application currently running.

3. If there is, then just click on it and end the task.

4. If there isn't a "WARFRAME" application on the list, then click on the "Processes" tab near the top of the Task Manager.

5. After you have clicked on "Processes", look for a process named, "Warframe.x64.exe" (The name may vary depending on whether you have a 64 or 32 bit version of windows, but it will always have "Warframe" in the title.)

and select it.

6. After it has been selected, click on "End Process" and this should fix your issue.

Edited by Triniax

closing Warframe manually will resolve the issue in the short term, but if this happens consistently, then i would talk to Support, to identify the source of this issue so you can fix it or so Digital Extremes can fix some oddity with how Warframe interfaces with your Hardware and Software combination.

the one or two mentions of Crashing can be ignored since this isn't a Crashing issue. it's all still applicable.

Crashing issues you say? (or some other major issue in Warframe)

- when your issue occurs (if your issue doesn't cause the game to Crash, it can be useful to write something in Chat right after it happens to narrow down where to look in the Log. don't forget to tell Support that you did that and what you said so they can find the Chat message!), after Warframe has terminated and you have sent your Crash Report(or attempted to), immediately go to your Local Appdata, and grab the Evolution Engine Log (EE.Log) from the Warframe folder. this file is wiped each time Warframe launches, so if you run Warframe again after the session with the issue, the Log will be useless.
for Windows Vista / 7 platforms, this should look something like this:

(Boot Drive letter):\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Warframe\EE.log

copy this file to a different location for the time being, as when Warframe launches, this file is overwritten, and you need any data that's in the file as it stands after the Crash.

- go to Support, create a Support Ticket, and fill out the forms appropriately (Tech - Crashing would probably be appropriate here).
then, upload the EE.Log to the webpage.

- next, you'll need a Direct X Diagnostic Report (Dxdiag).
how to open Dxdiag:

st8JLTC.png

(if you're asked a question when you run DxDiag, just click yes)

now, save all information to a file. where ever is convenient, the Desktop is pretty convenient, you'll delete this file after you attach it to the Support Ticket anyways.

RoN6czl.png

- now, if you haven't done so already, attach these two files to your Support Ticket. you can either browse for them, or you can drag them to the Attach zone to automatically upload them.

- lastly, explain your issue in the fullest detail that you can. what was going on at the time of crash, how many players, what mission type and what node you were playing, anything that might be relevant. 
if you wrote something in game Chat as a marker for when your issue occured, don't forget to tell Support that you did that, and what you wrote, so they can find your marker!
and don't forget to submit your Support Ticket.

(if you're not sure how to login to Support, it's the same account you use for Warframe and the Forums!)

Since Warframe is not available to close in the task manager, your performance issues might be coming from a different source. Try doing this:

1. Open task manager and switch from the applications tab to the processes tab.

2. In the box below the tabs, there should be another tab named "Memory" at the top right in between "CPU" and "Description". Click on it.

3. After that, the order of the items on the list should have changed to display the most memory demanding processes currently running on your computer.

4. Find any programs that you aren't currently using or don't need to have open and end them.

That should help with your problem. If not, then just reply to the thread, and I'll see what else could be wrong. My knowledge on this subject is limited, so I can't guarantee that I'll be able to fix your problem, but I can guarantee that I've felt frustration similar to yours before and I'll do everything I can to help you.

Hmm... Okay, try this.

1. Open your start menu and search for, "Defender". Click on "Windows Defender" on the result list. If a dialogue box pops up and says that Windows Defender isn't currently enabled, don't enable it. If an application is opened, then you have to disable Windows Defender.

a. First, click on "Tools" at the top of the window.

b. Next, click on "Options" under the "Settings" category.

c. After that, click on the "Administrator" option in the options box.

d. Finally, untick the box that says, "Use this program" and click save. A dialogue box will pop up saying that you've disabled Windows Defender (Click "Close") and you can continue with the steps listed below:

2. Go to your start menu and search for, "Windows Memory Diagnostic". Next, disable Go ahead and run this program and restart your computer.

3. After the restart, press the F8 key before Windows launches (You may spam the F8 key if you wish to ensure that you open the Advanced boot options page).
4. After that, you should be at the Advanced Boot Options menu. Navigate the menu using the arrow keys and press enter to select the "Safe Mode" option.
5. Once you get to your desktop, it will look different, but don't be alarmed. Now, check again to see if your problem persists. If it doesn't then great! If it does, then I'll have to get back to you at a later date. (Possibly tomorrow, but I might be unavailable until 12-28-14.)

Edited by Triniax

So, I did a bit of tinkering around and I think I resolved the issue somehow. I noticed that the problem quit occurring after I set the game to use Direct X 9.0c instead of Direct X 11. Is it possible that somehow Warframe isn't playing nice with DX11 and is causing a memory leak when used?