Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Infested Scarier

simeo77

I'd like to add my thoughts on this :

- Infested are biomass taken over by the virus, so no body left overs are actually realistic, unless you add transforming animation, so they begin transforming when a player is near. Another idea is the missing body situation : players pass trough a corridor on their way to the mission objective, but on their way back tot he extraction point, the body (bodies) is missing, and a little further theyencounter it as an infested.

- I've been in a few missions where infested were present as well as some other factions (that(s why when Lotus is talking about who's attaking it says the faction, even though in most missions there's only one faction and what Lotus is saying is pretty obvious). This might be more interesting if players could redirect ennemy fire to the opposing factions with stealth tactics. One of those being getting followed by infested and running near a group of Grineer/Corpus making them the target of infested.

- The rectangular shapes of ancients come from corpus (their headgear is rectangular, right?), why not introduce some Grineer ancients?

- The meat-moss (grass?) with the infested is actually pretty nice (and shooting trough normal grass is fine, but this is actually metal + bio mass grass, so having hitboxes is the right way to present it). But i think it should be destructible, and maye have some effect on players like slowing them down by attaching themselves to players' feet? Making it necessary to run on walls if players want to not be slowed down (adding more use to wall running)

- Adding infested maps (meaning the environment contains only infested like things) would be nice also.

- I'm not fond of the idea about having maps with less lighting, but i approve of the idea of being able to turn off the flashlight to try and be more stealthy.

This is all i could think of for now.

Adding some infested specific rooms would be nice, far more fleshy and torn up. Perhaps battle damage in some places like massive rents in the wall and blood spatters. I like the ideas of static or broken messages on the intercom, a little subtlety goes a long way.

My primary two issues with them are that they are so "vauge" that I didn't even notice details like the grineer head's being relocated under their "Chest". If their eyes glowed or their new mouth opened noticably it would be signifigantly creepier, the first directing your attention towards their previous head and making you realized how disfigured they are, the second making their attacks more horrifying.

I would also like to see something more scary, but less cheap from the ancients. Getting stunlocked is more frustrating than fear inspiring.

I noticed DE added a new tile at the end of one of the infested maps. I'll post a screenshot I took later.

I'd just like to say thank you for listening and that tile is the vain we're talking about going.

one word? NO

two words? HELL NAW

Those things, with toxic and healers and the suicide bomber things. Now that is enough scary. One mission i ran all the way to extraction after my only teammate died, tried to save him but it was in a very close space and theres 3 high level toxic.

Not that i want them nerfed. they add challenge, but i do not want them "buffed". bad for heart health lol

I'd like some more scary elemets. You could make more dynamic map elements, like infestestion hordes breaking through walls where you don't expect them, or the floor underneath you caving in and you land in a pit full of infestation. Scary ambient music would be neat too.

Funny, I was thinking about this today, and was about to make a post about it. Good thing I searched! Yeah, the Infested have great potential. I doubt they'll ever be actually scary for me, but I'd love them to be creepier. I think it's mainly about the atmosphere of the levels. Darker levels and flickering lights? Definitely. Random intercom static? Yes. But I'm also thinking beyond that. Hearing a Grineer weep over your comms (not just the intercom) would be crazy. People begging for help. Screams. Half-eaten bodies that are still alive (do you put them out of their misery, or do you let them suffer?). Especially if they reached for you in a cry for help. Maybe have some of the Infested feasting on a fallen <insert faction here>. I also agree that the flesh-moss should slow you. Random sounds, like groaning metal, organic, fleshy noises from the living walls, the chittering of the Infested, scurrying.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. I really don't think they should change the difficulty, just the atmosphere of it all. Atmosphere can be everything.

I think scarier infected would be awesome, not more difficult or buffed, just scarier. Have a better atmosphere and maybe better sounds, they don't sound scary to me when I hear them. If I went on an infected mission I would love to get scared just from a combination of atmosphere and an infected coming out of nowhere almost like a jump scare. Perhaps make infected not visible as red dots on the map, so that they can sneak up on you or come from behind corners surprisingly.

Honestly I think the easiest thing to do with the infested is make it so that they can spawn anywhere and traverse any surface.  It also would be nice to have enemies burst out of the growths that covers the entire ship to add a bit of tension and fear to just walking around.  

Imagine this.  

You and 3 other tenno are walking down one of the long hallways and there is infested growth everywhere.  As you start to walk, you hear some sort of infested roar and the door on the opposite end of the hall opens and about a dozen chargers just pour out.  The difference is that instead of just running on the floor, they start running on the walls and on the ceiling as well, with other infested leapers or runners bursting out of some growths as your team tries to open fire on as many of them as possible while trying to run to the nearest exit.

I think the key thing here is that the infested swarming like this would make them appear VASTLY more intimidating, when you have literally an entire hallways surface covered with these things charging at you.  It seems to convey the "viral" feel that I think the infested should have.

I think scarier infected would be awesome, not more difficult or buffed, just scarier. Have a better atmosphere and maybe better sounds, they don't sound scary to me when I hear them. If I went on an infected mission I would love to get scared just from a combination of atmosphere and an infected coming out of nowhere almost like a jump scare. Perhaps make infected not visible as red dots on the map, so that they can sneak up on you or come from behind corners surprisingly.

The point of having Enemy Radar (either the mod or the artifact) is... well, to have enemies on your minimap.

Taking that functionality away from the mod not only lowers its usefulness, but also kneecaps anyone on a defense mission.

So, no, atmosphere is more necessary than buffs.