Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Primary Weapon?

(XBOX)ZaBaconator3000

Question

Many people on this forums and game are absolute killing machines that give plenty of advice on the prime and formad up weapons, but just in case you want something on the market that can pack a punch but still prove useful without being absolutely ridiculous, my experience as follows.

Close Range or Tight Spaces-

Boltor. Its got the punch and accuracy. If you throw in a forma or catalyst and configure the mods right, this thing could clear house on any planet below Phobos and Sedna. Easy enough to grab and use. Oh, and the automatic trigger is nice.

Medium Range or Open Areas-

Karak. Its got a halved mag from, say, the Braton, but its reload time is much nicer and it packs much more of a punch. Add some range to it and its a versatile weapon that is effective against any faction. To a certain extent, its even nice against Tenno, in Conclave. But thats where you actually have to mod it and put a good amount of tact into it. Easy enough to make, not too pricey, nice medium-beginner rifle.

Long Range-

Cernos and Vectis. Both have their own little ways of being good. Cernos is a bow that looks weird but have one of the highest Impact damages of all weapons without adding any mods, which is 180. Shielded targets stand very little chance against it, when modded and used right. Vectis is a classic Tenno sniper rifle that Is high in everything, really. Both awesome for me.

If you were looking for the greatest rifle of primes and all, then ignore this. But if you wanted the guns on the market that would allow you to hold your own without venturing into the void, then I find, if used right, some of these guns can match primes (and in extreme cases, surpass them).

I highly recommend the phage.

The only downside to this weapon is the range rly. That aside: one of the strongest weapons, decent ammo pool, "spread" mechanic that allows you to deal ae on crouds or high focus dmg, specced on status up to 85% controllable status chance using the event mods >on crouds<

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

Personal "best" for me are bows. Love my Dread and Paris Prime and hopefully in the future a Cernos Prime >.>

Boltor Prime, I use it alot, I like it alot but for me it's not best. It's only my best at the moment since I had it for a long time and forma'd it a few times. And I love pinning stuff to walls.

Ogris was good, but an absolute no-go for me.

Still have to try Quanta, Opticor and a few primes, but I saved them for last because I dont wanna ruin my own fun. For example I was leveling the Braton Prime which was alot of fun, I'm definitly formaing that one. And now working on a Glaxion. No polarities, sh*tty damage, god I hate this thing..... >.< Gonna trash it when it hits 30.

Long story short, it has to feel good from the start. Then I keep them. I've seen people do amazing damage with Torid. I just did not like it at all... the way it shoots is just, ugh...

I had the same feeling with Glaxion but once you put a catalyst on it and start proc every single enemy, you will see the power of this thing removing armor from heavies on 1.5 seconds...

The Best Primary weapon, no questions asked... is YO MAMA. JK...

Its got to be either MK1 Paris

or......................... MK1 Braton

or......................... the best of all.

The most ignored weapon of all time. 

The banana.

(Lmao Who knows this weapon xD)

for dps, boltor prime, soma prime, amprex. the bolter is most lenient with mods, as it doesn't require specific mods to be good.

My real suggestion is to take you time and figure it out on your own though. hoping to the top of the heap like that will ruin the expeirence and make the game boring.

As another poster earlier noted, it's personal preference.

Squad synergy, War frame you are using, enemy type/level, etc.

Also some weapons are status monsters which will always hit for the status no matter what level the enemy is, 

whereas straight up damage builds will fall off,, rapidly.

Synapse is my most used weapon, I've not played the weapon for a couple of updates.

But back in the day (U11 roughly) this thing was a monster with er 5? or 6? forma on, I can't recall exactly.

Quanta is a top tier primary. I have fully leveled mods and have full formad some prime, boltor prime, quanta, opticor, paris prime, and ogris. 

Boltor Prime is actually kind of underwhelming compared to Quanta/Soma Prime. The issue with Soma Prime is you burn through ammo. Boltor's main issue is you have to reload often and the travel time on the projectile. Quanta's drawback is around 15% less dps on paper and a 50m range.

In practice it's nearly identical because of reload timings In a wave 40 t4d you won't reload a quanta once during a wave (even with vile accel+shred), while you will reload a boltor prime at least twice. 

Opticor is pretty underhwelming. It fires too slowly (including reload, without reload it fires at an okay pace once you have many fire rate mods) and does the same dps as quanta. Which makes little sense, because a weapon that's subpar due to its fire rate could probably do twice the dps of boltor prime/soma prime and still be worse. But that's pretty much a universal issue with "sniper" style weapons in this game, and opticor despite using rifle ammo and having a borderline pointless aoe that should be innate punch-through instead is pretty much a sniper weapon. Both quanta and opticor will probably never run out of ammo no matter what content you are doing, but if there were some magical content that drained quanta ammo the opticor would run out of ammo significantly slower than the quanta for similar amounts of damage. There's 0 reason to care about this in practice, without even using ammo restores. Quanta has the added benefit of never reloading or charging attacks. You just left click as needed or hold it down and aim at stuff. The right click isn't too useful, but sometimes it's nice depending on frame.

The bows suffer from the same issue as opticor. The other issue with bows is heavy caliber doesn't play nice with them. One of the perks is they have innate punch-through while the opticor, unfortunately, doesn't so you must mod shred if you want it to be at all useful. Opticor does put out higher dps (vs void stuff) than any of the bows. If you want to put heavy cal in a bow then it starts to compare with the big boys, but without that it doesn't in endless content. And with it it doesn't because heavy cal kills the entire point of bows. With that said, if you really think bows are cool/fun then they are perfectly viable, and the opticor is as well. Well, not so much now with nullifiers around, but ignoring those they're fine.

Ogris is okay. I miss the old infinite ammo personally. It has issues sort of similar to the opticor and snipers, although less so because its aoe is giant in comparison. There's really no reason to use anything other than quanta/boltor prime/soma prime though when it comes to the "best" weapon. Ogris is also awful vs nullifiers. Nullifiers pretty much killed half of the high tier weapons unless you want to let other people handle them.

If you're just looking for burst damage then secondaries win in that department. Brakk if it does enough damage before reloading, or synoid gammacor if not because its ammo lasts ages even with a high burst build. Both burst more than any of the primaries anyone has listed here. Even Telos Akbolto bursts higher than the primaries listed here, although its sustained dps is pathetic once you start reloading and the life proc is significantly worse than the energy proc of the gammacor, which is by far the best single target weapon in the game.

Amprex gets honorable mention as well. You can easily build it to be competitive with the other high tier primaries. Amprex and bows are next on my todo list.

Anyway, it's pointless to stay in a survival for more than 40 mins or a t4d for more than 40 waves. So if that's all you're doing you can use whatever weapon you want. As long as you potato+forma it and mod it optimally it will do fine unless you picked something awful like the miter.

I'd recommend Quanta for general purpose if you plan on formaing a bunch. I use heavy cal/serration/multishot/shred/vile accel/corrosive+cold (use the full mods, not the status chance ones). The cold could be fire or a bunch of other mods depending on what you are doing, but cold is good enough general purpose and it does so much damage that I don't bother changing it. If they introduce difficult content for high end weapons then you need to min-max I guess.

If you plan on potatoing and not slamming formas into it then boltor prime is decent. Boltor Prime is probably the best 'newbie' gun in the game because you can use it very early on and depending on your clan you'll even get donated parts for free. I know I've hooked up a bunch of people in mine.

Synoid Gammacor is real beast. It out performs primaries, but there's no real good way of getting punch through on it and it only has a 15m range. You can get around it with volt shield or by not caring about your range and being close to things, but secondaries don't really compete with primaries for general use. Although you can certainly just use a good secondary instead of a primary and do just fine. Especially the synoid, which you can literally hold left click on and whip your mouse around and anything your mouse glances over melts instantly.

edit: And to be clear, I don't think there is a clear best. For secondaries it's pretty much synoid gammacor no debate unless you really want range or a healing proc on your secondary for some reason. For primaries there's around 5-8 weapons that are fairly equal with various pros and cons. I'd say Boltor Prime/Soma Prime/Quanta are probably top 3 in no particular order, and then slightly below them there's a bunch of stuff that lots of people have mentioned here. I might be wrong on amprex placement though I don't have experience with it.

Thanks for share this Watlok... it was pretty enlightening for me. 

Let's be honest, there is no best primary weapon.

Only the best primary WEAPONS.

I find my dread excelling at stealth, but it falls short at crowd control.

Thats where my tonkor comes in with high damage and even high crit damage, though my quanta is even better.

I can lag my game and annoy my squad mates by painting my Nova's colour something piercing and glaring, then causing explosions all over the place with my quanta and molecular prime. It hurts my eyes too, though.

The quanta falls short where damage, high damage is key. Then we look at the soma prime and boltor prime.

High damage+travel time vs high crit damage+absent ammo efficiency, i can say this is up to you to decide.