The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do People Think High Mastery Rank = Good?

(PSN)sycamotree

I disagree. In the few times I have played co-op with random newbies, they have displayed much better co-op-oriented skills than most of the higher ranked Tenno I have had the displeasure of playing with who for some reason rush the map and usually go down and die.

Eh, as a general rule, it tends to be the case - I've played with reasonably skilled newbies and not-so-skilled higher MR members, reverse also holds true.

Typically speaking though, due to the gear-oriented nature of the game, I can understand the bias towards higher MR since it usually translates to a better mod collection and arsenal - more and better tools on the tool belt.

Also kinda explains why newer guys work more as a unit, earlier on, there's a good chance they lack the gear and ranked mods needed to deal with what the game throws at 'em all on their lonesome in certain mission modes so sticking together is more of a necessity.

Generally, it's been my experience that guys in the middle ranks like 4 - 8 that tend to be the worst though. They typically seem to overestimate their skill/equipment while underestimating challenges. Some of them have been big enough liabilities that I would've been better of soloing the mission because they've been downed half a dozen times by the ten minute mark, which results in taking hits I otherwise wouldn't have while raising 'em. :-/

Mastery Rank isn't a good way to judge player skill.

It's better to look at conclave score, I've played with guys that are MR6 but had a conclave score of 1300-ish

conclave score is good. but not important. you can push it to the limits very easy (i saw mr7 rhino with 1900 conc) and that doesn't mean you have right warframe and weapons for current mission

Mastery Rank isn't a good way to judge player skill.

It's better to look at conclave score, I've played with guys that are MR6 but had a conclave score of 1300-ish

Conclave doesn't mean much. If I don't have a secondary equipped my conclave is much lower. Even when I have an amazing primary and melee.

Master Rank doesn't mean the player is better or he or she is more skilled, but Mastery Rank is a indicator that you have spent more time leveling up more frames/weapons in the game to get to that specific rank. Therefore if you were to say...wanted to find a certain frame to compliment your team, and you are playing with a high mastery rank player there is a better chance that he or she has leveled up (and probably modded out) the frame you're looking for, and you can ask him or her to bring that frame along. I personally don't really make request for a certain mastery rank. I more so care about your frame being properly modded out and you knowing how to use it regardless of what your Mastery Rank is.

The thing about mastery ranks is that they do demonstrate how wide the experience of a player is. I.e the higher the rank, the omore the player has experienced in terms of weapons, warframes, companions, and nodes unlocked. Matery rank dosent demonstrate the depth of a players experience, that can be shown from stats in a player's profile, but mastery rank provides an easy way of psuedo-showing experience instead of other less valuable stats which can be as misleading as "how many items leveled to 30"

My MR15 and 16 months of virtually daily play means familiarity with just about the whole game.

Recently, I've been running with many MR1 and MR2 (just seems to be a lot about), and where their enthusiasm often means a revive there is plenty of skill about amongst the lower MR.

My high MR = "experience" is best served by always carrying a shed load of, shield, ammo, and heal restores, plus going as Trinity.

It makes for another aspect of how we can game, young bucks going haywire with an old bugger trying to keep them in the game .  .

jjpdn - I think he might have asked for MR19 because we see some MR18 about but never a MR19 or above.

MR equates to experience. I am currently Rank 17, and whenever I see someone rank 10 or above I tend to think that that person is pretty good. This is not always true, as some people dont even try to rank up past 8. But it tends to be.

This is a grey area not much mentioned . . .I stayed at MR 10 for ages and then went to MR 14 within a week, so I imagine a lot of say, MR 6 players, have enough points - and therefore, experience - to move up 3,4 5 or more levels . . . the more holes we find in this thread the more it becomes just waffle, lol . .

I dont judge you alone on your mastery rank but in three parts, how much health/ shields you equip on your warframe and the initial glance at your MR stats.  Then by your playing.  Players using base health/ shield stats that can hang without dying constantly get my respect.  

But thats just me.

MR equates to experience. I am currently Rank 17, and whenever I see someone rank 10 or above I tend to think that that person is pretty good. This is not always true, as some people dont even try to rank up past 8. But it tends to be.

i think there is only small amount players who buy plat or trade a lot. so majority would stack at 8-10. because they need formas/reactors etc. or slots (i am not ready to delete good weapons)